Helping an Abused Dog

Kali, my Springer Spaniel, had been abused by her former owner when I brought her home at 9 months. She is afraid of men and will avoid them, but when they turn away she will run up and bite them.

I have tried scolding her, but it has just made her behavior worse. She now attacks anyone who comes up the driveway. I am afraid someone will sue and I am thinking of getting rid of her. What can I do?

By animallover from Salamanca, NY

Answers:

Helping an Abused Dog

Please don't give up on your dog. Is it possible for you to watch some episodes of "It's Me or the Dog" on the Animal Planet Channel? Good luck. (04/13/2010)

By Jean and Maggie

RE: Helping an Abused Dog

Helping an Abused Dog

Professional animal behavior training classes where you both attend, too! (04/13/2010)

By Deeli

Helping an Abused Dog

Please don't give up! Contact ESRA - English Springer Rescue America for help. It is a national rescue group strictly for English Springer Spaniels. My DH and I belong in Ohio. We are foster parents for dogs at various times when they are rescued. We keep them until their "forever" homes can be found. I also suggest you watch The Dog Whisperer, maybe you can get DVD's from your local library. Springer Spaniels are great family dogs and great with children. You have to win her trust back. (04/14/2010)

By Deborah570

Helping an Abused Dog

I have 2 suggestions which have helped me with my rescue dog. Get "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDivitt. It's a great book for helping a dog which is hyper whether by life history or by breed; next check into T Touch, it's a massage for dogs. It works to ease a scared dog. My dog tends to hyper and he's gotten closer to me since I started doing this for him.

Then other suggestion is go to yahoo.com and signup with some groups to get some help. There are some amazing people in there more than willing to help, just like this site. See this as a challenge, not a test and you'll find your attitude will make a difference in how you relate to the dog. (05/11/2010)

By deethundercloud

A sad older dog in a cage.
Helping an Abused Dog
Dog Her with Puppies
Helping Your Dog Deliver Puppies
House Training an Abused Dog
House Training an Abused Dog
Helping Someone With Alzheimer's
Helping a Loved One with Alzheimer's
Photo of a mistreated Pit Bull.
Training a Dog That Was Abused
🎉
🎄