Herbal Home Remedy for Fleas on Cats

Did I read somewhere that rosemary oil mixed with lemon juice was a good flea deterrent? If so, what are the amounts of the two to mix together? Has anyone else heard anything about this herbal treatment? Please help if you can. Ever since I put Hartz Ultraguard on them they seem worse and haven't stopped scratching or licking. They do it constantly.

The black kitten I took in because she was either in a fight or a car had hit her. One of her eyes is out and her ear torn up, but the vet said that she was going to be fine. My other cat took her in and has really accepted and loved her.
Anyway, these fleas are driving them and me, crazy. I'm also treating my carpet with borax, salt, and daily vacuuming.

By candybones from Stuttgart, AR

Please do yourself and your fur-babies a favor and either get it locally or online food - grade only Diatomaceous Earth, and dust them down really good with it after bathing them in the original Dawn dishwashing liquid. It's the blue one. There is nothing better, I don't care who sells or promotes it. You can also sprinkle a little on their food all the time and they'll never ever have the intestinal parasites that sicken and kill so many pets.

I am very afraid of any of those flea and tic meds that are put on the animals necks, and flea collars have their own dangers especially for cats. You would understand this if you'd ever seen a dog or cat hung by the neck. It's something you don't ever forget.

Make sure you specify food grade though. Very important. All vets should be making it available, but I guess it just doesn't cost enough to make it worth their while to do so. The other stuff they're selling makes more money for them. What a shame, and shame on them.

Good Luck with your kitties.

Pookarina

Thank you PookaRina for your helpful advice. I am going to try that D-earth dust as soon as I can find it. I wish WalMart would have it because I live in a small town that some common items are hard to find. I will try the Dawn also, however, giving these cats a full bath is quite a chore and sometimes dangerous when they fight and claw you. I will let you know how this all works out and appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Candybones

The Diatomaceous Earth works wonders. Cats instantly love the feel of the soft, soothing D earth on their bodies. Just use a little at a time, keeping dust away from cats eyes by "cupping" one hand over the eye area. Mixing D earth into food is simple as well. I failed with the expensive de-wormer products. Cats will eat around the medication, but not so with the diatomaceous earth. A pet owner can also use a salt shaker to sprinkle D earth onto the pets bed. Nice.

It's probably the worst smelling idea but it actually works almost instantly. We were infested with fleas one hot dry summer. Our poor animals, no matter what we did were just swarmed with them. Our vet actually told us to spray them down with vinegar. Also, since they were house pets, we sprayed the carpets, curtains, anything we could with vinegar The smell goes away in a couple of days but it does work.

Hope this helps.

Herbal Remedies for Fleas
Pets CatsJune 4, 2011
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
A wall with fleas in it.
Fleas Inside of Walls
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
Photo fo a spearmint plant.
Uses for Spearmint
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 8:45:52 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.