Highlighting Your Hair

Category Coloring
Adding highlights to your hair is a process that you can do at home by following a few simple steps. This is a guide about highlighting your hair.

• 1/4 bottle "Sun-in"
  • several drops "gloxioxide" used for oral infections (just a different type of peroxide, this makes it thicker)
  • a few drops lemon juice

1. With your hair dry, the mixture should be in a shallow dish. Just use your hands to dip in the mixture. Use your fingers to 'paint" the highlights on.
  2. Remember to do the hair underneath, also your scalp. Keep doing your painting with your fingers, until you've used all the mixture.
  3. Now, wrap a white towel around your hair and put on a shower cap. The heat of your head will activate the mixture. Keep it on for a few hours.
  4. After removing the cap and towel, I then toss some argean oil on it.
  5. Then, jump in the shower, washing it. Use conditioner, and blow dry.

This is what your dirty blonde hair will end up looking like. Looks like a pro did it, don't you think?

I want to highlight my hair at home, but I have very jet black hair. Should I use hair bleach before hair highlight for better result? Can you please tell me the procedure of bleaching before highlighting?

Ipsun from Detroit, MI

Best Answer

Hi, just for the record I have been a hairdresser for 36 years. There is no easy way to highlight black hair. You can of course, but it usually doesn't look "great". If you decide to go ahead get it done professionally! Find a beauty school if possible and ask for an advanced student! In the long run you will not save much by doing it yourself as the products you will buy will not be equal to the professional products. I realize it can be expensive but check around find the best deal and that dosen't necessarily mean cheapest! If you had lighter colored hair it would be easier and look better! Certain haircolors look better with certain highlights.There is no set color for all hair it can look harsh if not done correctly so as a professional check around for your 'Hair color experience"

Best Answer

If you just want to jazz it up, you could use the cellophane color washes for dark hair. The burgundy color is nice, I have seen a lot of oriental hair with auburn streaks (from peroxide) which can be a nice look if that's what you are after. For a color streak, you have to bleach out the original dark color and add the color (I used to know someone who had a magenta mustache and that's how he did it.)

Best Answer

Would the spray on highlight colors work for you? I see the small spray cans of gold, silver, bronze, auburn, blonde etc. at Sally's beauty supply and also at Walgreens. I'm often tempted to shock my kids or grandkids by spraying on a few audacious streaks of shocking color! I assume they'd wash out with the first shampoo.

I had my hair dyed today, brown with blonde highlights, but it don't have enough highlights like I asked for. So how long should I wait before I can have more highlights put in?

You can go back immediately. The hairstylist shouldn't charge you for this adjustment.

I just recently dyed my hair a dark brown. I like the color, but I'm wanting some kind of highlight. I don't want blonde. I like the dark brown with light brown highlights, but how could I get that look? Would I use bleach? Or just get a light brown hair color dye and use that?

The next time you dye your hair, buy a bottle one shade lighter than the main color. Pull out some random sections and color them with the lighter dye.

Soap cap! Mix 1 tablespooon bleaching powder, 1 tablespoon of developer 10 or 20 volume , then add 2 tablespoons of shampoo and two tablespoons of conditioner . Mix well, wear gloves and apply to strands with color brush or paint on like balayage. You tube has many videos on how to do a shampoo cap aka bleach bath. Less damaging !

I have med/dark blonde hair with a few bright blonde pieces. I want to go back lighter in a more natural way than actual hair dye. The past two days I've been spraying my hair with equal parts lemon juice/peroxide/water and now my hair has a slight slight tint of red/orange and is still darker blonde. I would say it's gotten the smallest bit lighter all around, but is still darker blonde. Should I keep going with this process or do something else?

YOu can keep going with it though in my personal experience (my hair is very black) it doesn't work as well as more aggressive chemical methods

you can try spending more time in the sun to activate the lemon, etc

To do much lighter you need a two step process and that is better left to professionals.

Does anybody know of a cheap and easy way to do your own 'longterm highlights' that's wont damage my hair? And does anybody have a price range from salons that highlight long hair?

Best Answer

I have light brownish hair - originally more strawberry blonde, and I put in highlights with ordinary hydrogen peroxide applied to dirty hair with cotton balls, left on for 10 minutes, and then using a combination of red/blonde shampoo (also left on 20 mins) and conditioner. The highlights come in gradually, I touch up only at the hairline/part, around my face, as the hair grows out, sparing the ends. This process produces natural-looking, gentle strawberry blonde highlights that even hairdressers/stylists have marveled at! And is done cheaply and easily, too! (Of course, my hair is in good condition to start with, and I rarely blowdry or use heating curlers, etc. - but try to let my hair air dry...)

Best Answer

What "Pamphyila" wrote may work for her light-med hair, DON'T try just peroxide it if you have dark hair! I have a very dark brown hair and I did exactly what she does when I was a teenager and my streaks turned out an ugly orange color. You can't get an exact cost on highlighting unless you tell them if you have, short, med, long or very long hair. For each, the price is different. If I was you, I'd simply get the yellow pages out & turn to "Beauty" where you'll find salons in you area. Just get yourself a pen and paper and start calling each one to ask for their prices. You can take your chances and go to a "Beauty School" (for less money) but if you do, be sure to ask for an "Advanced Senior" (someone who is ready to graduate!) This way, you'll get someone who is more experienced. If you have a choice of "Do it yourself" and a Beauty School (or "Beauty college") have it done by someone else. It's hard to reach the back of your head and not pick up big chunky strands. If you do decide to do-it-yourself, have a friend there to help you. You can buy your supplies (like the pros) from a beauty supply store and they'll give you exact directions.

* The bad thing about highlights is they DO grow out. If you part your hair, you'll end up with "roots" (where there is no highlights) after 2 or 3 months. This is unavoidable. (unless you have hair that has no part) Highlights look great on light& med colored hair. If you hair is dark brown or black, they probably won't look like you'd expected they would. Be careful not to leave the striper on to long or you'll end up with streaks that look unnatural. Maybe you should do just a few streaks at a time to see how long to leave the solution on.

Is it okay to use, say, red hair dye with a highlighting cap? Or is it too thin to keep from going into the holes? Since I have a spare highlighting cap laying around and I don't really want to spend the money to go get my hair dyed I thought I would do it myself.

I regularly use caps to low light my hair with darker tones in grey hair. I would recommend you 'gear up' with covering over your clothes, wear good gloves and use balls of cotton saturated with your color to DAB on the color slowly, or YES, the thin coloring will seep into the wholes, down your shoulders and onto your floor...Good Luck!

The brand of hair dye that I use is not too thin. If yours is very watery, I would go with another product that is more like the product that they use in the salons. I use Nice and Easy. There is no reason you can't reuse the cap.

I have dark blonde/light brown hair now. I want to do some color highlights with foil, but my household water comes from a well. Is there something I can do to assure it won't affect the outcome of the coloring?

By J. Martinez from St. Clair, MI

Your well water could have a million different things in it that might affect your dye attempt so your question is extremely difficult question to answer, however, you can take your question to a hair stylist for answers.

You could also try the dye using distilled water from a store. The distilled water has nothing that could affect the hair during the dye treatment, however, you still have the question of washing your dyed hair after the treatment.

The best answer would be to make an appointment with a hair stylist to dye your hair. She or he will then be able to examine your hair, provide the corerct dye treatment and recommend the best washing water for later on after the dye treatment.

I am assuming you can't afford a stylist and that is why you are doing your own hair. My best advise is do it at a friends house, where the water is easier on the hair. Good luck!

Has no one ever washed dyed hair in the water from your well? If not, I supposed you might have a problem, but I live in a rural area, where everyone has well water. The water in the town also comes from wells, and is chlorinated, but nothing else done to it. Others use dugout water. Everyone simply uses the water that they have.

However, the water that we have around here is very good water. Some places have a high iron content that leaves brown stains on everything. Ours is not like that. If your water is good, I think you could just go ahead and dye your hair. If you have particularly hard water that stains sinks and toilets, you might want to do further investigation.

I dyed my hair light brown on Monday. Is it okay to add a highlights after 2 days? I'm going to use a boxed highlights as well.

I used to have my hair dyed and highlighted. The hairdresser did them both on the same visit.

I have brown hair and I want to have blonde highlights. My only problem is my grey will come through at the roots. What can I do please?

By Helen

If you get a lot of blond highlights put in, your blond hair will camouflage the grey and make it less noticeable. However, if you are dying your hair brown, and then want to add the blond highlights, it may not work as well.

In my 40's and early 50's, all I used was blond highlights. Now, to get the same effect I use the products that will give you a triple colour effect. Nice 'n Easy triple effects is what I use. And I just ignore the roots most of the time. Why not? Sometimes I use a root touch up.

A product called 'Sun In' was all the craze when I was fixing hair in the late 1960's & 70's - I know what I did to get golden highlights in my dark blonde hair... I took a large bottle of peroxide [the kind you can buy at the drug store, CVS, Walgreens or even Walmart now a days]. I would pour out half of the bottled peroxide into one of my quart canning jars, cap it off and save it full strength for later - then I would add tap water to the original bottle and a large squirt of lemon juice. Shake the bottle up and either putting a squirt handle on the peroxide bottle' or transferring 'it' into a smaller bottle with a squirt handle on it.

From there I would stand in front of my makeup light's (there were 8-65 watt bulbs) around my bathroom mirror for about the time it would take you to put your makeup (15 to 30 minutes).

I did this little routine daily and within a couple of weeks the women at the neighborhood bus stop (women took the bus to visit friends across town or to go shopping 'down town' as there wasn't a Walmart, Kmart etc. invented then). Their husband's used the 'one owned family car' to take them to work. Any way the ladies began to notice how I had slowly turned into the young lady with the different colors of blonde streaked throughout her hair in different hews of her natural color of dark blonde.

So be adventuress and try it... the cost will only be the price of the peroxide [less then a dollar].

If you have light to dark brown hair peroxide will draw out the red hews within the color itself - just like it changes the lighter hair colors into lighter hews of light brown; dark brown hair will come out with different hews of red to golden brown in it - gorgeous looking in my book.

The good thing about this is that It is harmless to you, your hair and the environment. Within weeks your natural hair color will grow back out, should you want to go back to your natural color. If not continue to spritz your hair 'periodically with this peroxide mix' and then stand in front of the makeup lights 15 to 20 minutes.

Good Luck and have a great time...

I did color with highlights that came out too light. I would like more gold. What can I do because the highlights are too light?

I want to have reverse highlights in a warm brown on my white hair. My hair has recently been permed with a very mild perm that cannot overprocess. Would this be a problem?

By Dot F

Can I use a bonnet-type hair dryer to accelerate the bleach when I use foil for my streaks? I have been using foil and streaking my hair for years, but I sat under a portable hair dryer. I am in need of purchasing another heating unit for streaking with foil and would sincerely appreciate a professional's insight. I do not want to melt the cap on my head. I have to use a high setting when I use the foil strips.
Thank you.

By Ilene

My daughter has dyed her hair black. She wants to highlight it with blonde streaks. Can she use 40 oxidizing emulsion cream with peroxide in it?

Thanks.

Hello! Your daughters hair needs to fade a little bit. Waite 2 weeks before you do any highlights. Yes she can use the 40 oxidizing emulsion cream with peroxide in it? But let me make a suggestion. Dont use a bleach. Use a hair color. It will be better for your hair. I have been coloring my hair for over 15 years. So I have learned through trial and error!

Good Luck! Sharon

Tips for giving yourself highlights and caring for hair with highlights. Post your ideas.

Rinse your hair with one-quarter-cup Lemon Juice with three-quarters cup water.

By MrsMoted2

I use cider vinegar instead of the lemon juice and my dark hair is always so shiny that my beauty operator ask what I was using. My Mother used that years ago before they had any cream rinses.