Home Remedies for Bee Stings

Being stung by a bee can be very painful, and life threatening to a small number of people. This guide is about home remedies for bee stings.

Carpenter bee on a flower.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 1, 2011 Flag

My son and his friend were playing in the bushes, little did we know there was a bee's nest lurking in there. The kids came out screeching after being stung several times, one was right on the tongue! Ouch!

I used a wet aspirin to rub on their bee stings including the tongue. After 20 minutes you could not even tell they had been stung! It takes down swelling as well as helps with the pain. So it would be a good idea for your first aid kit.

Source: First aid book I read a few years ago. Can't remember which one!

By coville123 from Brockville

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 22, 2010 Flag

If you have a bee sting, you can put a paste of baking soda and water on it. Just mix the baking soda and water together until it is very thick. Apply to bee sting after the stinger has been removed.

To remove the stinger, take a credit card and fling it out. If you use your fingers, you can squeeze more poison out of the stinger into your skin.

By countrydoglover from Southern , IL

June 28, 2010 Flag

Snuff is great for soothing bee and fire ant stings. Snuff may be a little hard to find; I use to buy it at the cigarette counter, but it is not longer available in my area. Find a friend in the South and they probably can find it for you.

Immediately, when you get stung, wet your hand, dip it in snuff, and rub vigorously. Reapply several times. This is pretty messy, so use over a floor than can be cleaned or outdoors. The pain goes away immediately. I have used this for over forty years. It has even worked with people who are highly allergic to bee stings.

I learned about this from an elderly pest control man. He had a customer who had been stung by a large number of bees. He went to the hospital and was told to be careful not to get stung again as he would die. My pest control man told him about snuff. When he did get stung again, used the snuff, and did not have an allergic reaction. Please use your Epi Pen for allergic reactions, but this will help too.

By Lucy C. from Marathon, FL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know several people who are allergic to bee stings, bad enough to go into anaphalactic shock. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely pass it along!

July 16, 2011 Flag

What is the best remedy for wasp and bee stings?

By Maria from Blue Ridge, GA

My volunteer firefighter neighbor says, and i have used it several times, straight bleach on a cotton ball soon as you can. Apply to skin for a few minutes but not too long. pain is gone. Here in the country, farmers on their tractors carry bleach with them just for that purpose.

Same as happy momma. also, a Benadryl type spray over the counter, spray on the bite. There is a liquid squeeze bottle called 'After Bite" at the pharmacy that has soothing menthol.

Household ammonia for all insect bites.

Read More Answers...

August 26, 2011 Flag

For pain relief from bee stings, immediantly put Orajel where you were stung. This is the same thing that babies use when they are teething. Also use with any other stings.

By Summer

April 14, 2010 Flag

For bee stings, my husband's grandmother used to always apply the cut side of an onion she had sliced in half to the bee sting for several minutes. Any pain or swelling, etc., will completely disappear. We have used this with our daughter, and now with our grandchildren with great success.

Source: According to my husband's grandmother, this was an old Indian remedy but we are not sure of any source other than his grandmother, who is long deceased.

By Brendamae from North Richland Hills, TX

April 15, 2013 Flag

Did you know that Afterbite's main ingredient is baking soda? If you make a paste of baking soda and water, it will stop the stinging very quickly. First, however, remove the stinger and then put the paste on.

December 22, 2010 Flag

Make a paste for a bee sting of baking soda and water. Rub this over the area where the bee has stung. It will take the swelling down and also the sting and itch associated afterwards.

By Kathy

Answers:

Treating a Bee Stings

Meat tenderizer also works well for this. (11/06/2004)

By

Bee Sting Remedy

If you get stung by a Bee, if the stinger is still in your skin, gently scrape it off, then sprinkle a bit of meat tenderizer directly on sting and add a few drops of water to make a thick paste.

This works great! But if you are allergic to stings get medical treatment also. (12/20/2004)

By Bill

Treating a Bee Stings

After making sure the stinger is removed, apply ice for 20 minutes, then apply toothpaste. The ice relieves swelling, pain and itching, and the tingling of the toothpaste relieves the itching while the alkalinity of the paste (some have said it's the glycerin that's in it) relieves pain and reduces the venom. (07/03/2005)

By Kim

Treating a Bee Stings

I just got stung and tried an old country remedy. I had a small sting which was moderately swollen. Twenty minutes after the sting. I applied a slice of potato to the sting. It sucked out the poison, eliminating all itch and all of the swelling. AMAZING and cheap! (07/23/2005)

By Larry

June 28, 2010 Flag

What is the best home remedy for bee stings?

Karen from Clemmons, NC

Answers:

Remedies for Bee Stings

Thank you to everyone who responded to my bee sting remedy! Great ideas! (07/01/2008)

By Karen

Remedies for Bee Stings

I tried everything and nothing worked. Then, I made a paste of Aspirin and water and it stopped the pain. (07/02/2008)

By angel

Remedies for Bee Stings

My mom used to wrap raw bacon strips around the sting. Then after an hour or so, unwrap it and the stinger would be at a point to use tweezers to get it out. It worked for me! (07/02/2008)

By DEBRADJ.

Remedies for Bee Stings

I have heard that either a penny or nickle on the sting works. Keeping them and a quarter in your pocket also works for an emergency screw driver for a larger screw, like on a car engine. (07/03/2008)

By Poor But Proud

Remedies for Bee Stings

Oddly enough, I was stung by a bee yesterday afternoon, and found a great remedy online. There is a common weed called plantain (not the banana plant!) that when crushed and applied to the sting, gets rid of it very quickly. By 'quickly', I mean that this morning, I had no pain, swelling, or itching whatsoever. It also works for mosquito bites.

I pulled a plantain from by yard, washed it off, chopped it a little and crushed in a mortar and pestle (spoon and bowl would work fine), put a small wad of leaves on the sting, and put an extra-large bandaid over it to hold the leaves in place. I had to apply more leaves a couple of times during the evening, and kept some on overnight, but I'm telling you--the darn thing's gone except for a little mark.

Here's a link that has a good photo of plantain at the bottom: http://www.prairielandherbs.com/plantain.htm

Good luck! (07/05/2008)

By gardeneroh123

Remedies for Bee Stings

I had a bee fly up my bell bottom pants and sting :( I found that vinegar helps. Also, you can scrape off the stinger with a credit card. (07/05/2008)

By mulberry204

Remedies for Bee Stings

This is one treatment someone is always sure to have handy! Honestly, it works! I had been stung while in a volcanic crater in Hawaii. No medicines around, I was in a great deal of pain. Someone suggested, "pee on it". It is the ammonia that does it. Urine is sterile when fresh, so, if someone can fill a cup, pour it on straight. It was a life saver for me. (07/06/2008)

By Vicki

June 30, 2008 Flag

After being stung, make a thick paste of baking soda and water. Pat the paste solution onto the sting area and watch the swelling and pain subside. Another remedy (when more people smoked cigarettes) is to place some tobacco in your lower lip and liquify (make a 'chew') with your saliva; then place the 'chew' onto the sting. It also will relieve the swelling and pain.

By Cajun from Collinsville

Answers:

Remedies for Bee Stings

Believe it or not you can also use antipersprant on a sting. I learned this in a home remedy book and then tried it when my son got stung (he was 2 or 3 at the time) and he immediately stopped crying. (06/09/2008)

By Kathy

Remedies for Bee Stings

I was stung by a wasp six times. I immediately dabbed straight household ammonia using a cotton ball on the area of the stings. The pain disappeared immediately. A neighbor who is a chemist recommended this. He had used it on a neighbor's child when she was stung by a bee. It is also good for mosquito bites. I have been using ammonia for over ten years and it has always worked for anyone who tried it. (06/10/2008)

By Mike

June 9, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 31, 2012
Bees
Homemade Bee Repellents
Bee Trap
Making a Bee Trap
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Bumble Bee on a flower.
Getting Rid of Underground Bumble Bee Nest
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 7:55:26 PM on 10.0.0.81 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.