Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor

My older cat has been urinating on my bathroom rug. I have washed it several times, but can't seem to get the urine smell out. Is there anything that I can make at home to remove the odor. I know you can buy stuff, but it is rather expensive.

By Rose from Malvern, PA

Answers:

I would keep the rug off the floor because you may never get rid of the smell as far as the cat's nose goes. Try adding vinegar to the wash. (01/19/2011)

By merlene

Get a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide at K-mart or Walmart. The last I paid for a large bottle was 1.29. Soak the rug for 20 minutes, then wash it by itself with detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar.
(01/19/2011)

By abbysmom

I buy a product called Odoban. I have seen it at Walmart, but I purchase the gallon size and dilute it at home. It saves money doing it this way, but it sanitizes and doesn't just mask odors. You can spray it on after you have cleaned the carpet, let it dry and maybe reapply if needed. I know I have purchased the gallon size at Home Depot and at Sam's. Good luck! (01/19/2011)

By brenneman826

Borax is the only way I know to really get rid of cat urine odor. A large box costs about $2.50. I use about 1/3 cup in my front loader and wash as usual. Even the cats can't find the spot afterwards. (01/19/2011)

By Lizzyanny

orange house cat
Homemade Cat Urine Cleaner Recipes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch
🎄