Home Remedies for Sinus Problems

Category Home Remedies
Girl with sinus pain.
Sinus headaches or pain can be very bothersome. This is a guide about home remedies for sinus problems.

Whenever I get a bad sinus headache, I take a piece or two of clear medical tape and stick them onto my forehead. The tape needs to be held on both ends so that it is a little taut. I don't know why this works, but it has helped me innumerable times, since I'm prone to sinus headaches. Even a band-aid will help, but not as well. This may help with other types of headaches too.

Source: I found this out by accident. One morning when I had a bad headache, my daughter (who was 4 at the time) wanted to put a band-aid on my forehead to help my "owie". I let her put one on, and was amazed at how much it helped.

By Kitkatk100 from Wichita, KS

I met a woman recently who had cosmetic surgery to correct sinus problems. Well, I thought to myself, when suffering, I just use heating pads on my sinuses to help them drain, plus a little bit of decongestant (too much irritates the sinuses and makes them worse). Also drink hot drinks and inhale the steam, and you can squirt saline solution up your nose. But then, I like my nose the way it is. I guess she didn't!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

For sinus pain and headaches, I use camphor. It comes in small blocks and can be purchased from drug stores. Scrape a bit off into a basin, pour in boiling water, put a towel over your head, and steam.

Caution: Camphor is very hot and strong, so make sure your first few breaths are shallow and not too close to the steam. If you inhale too deeply at first, you can choke or, if too close to hot steam, you can burn.

Source: My doctor, from years ago.

By Cheryl D. from Wolfville, Nova Scotia

To relieve the 'saline burn' when using a sinus rinse just add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) to the mix. I got this from my GP.

I've been running a humidifier for about 2 months now and it doesn't seem like it's helping my stuffy nose. Is there anything I can add to it to maybe help clear my sinuses?

By Kerry

Best Answer

I was having the same problem I ended up going to an allergist. My problem was dust mite allergy. dust mites love high humidity. all houses have dust mites. Just some more than others. I was cleaning three times more than they suggested had covers on all my pillows, mattress and box springs. Getting rid of a humidifier was my largest help

Best Answer

A Neti Pot does wonders. In case you don't know what they are, do a google search. You can find them at drugstores and probably Walmart carries them too. They are around $10. You can probably go to YouTube and see how they're used. Cleaning out your sinuses a couple times a day does wonders and makes breathing so much easier. I learned what they are and how to use them by watching Dr. Oz's tv show.

Best Answer

I certainly agree that a Neti pot is the best solution but just a word of caution.

Be sure to use either freshly BOILED water (cooled) or distilled/purified water if you are making your own solution.

There is a lot of information on the Internet about the pros and cons (and dangers) of using a Neti pot.

My doctor explained to me that bacteria can be in regular tap water that does not harm us in drinking but can cause problems in your sinus cavities. Be sure to read about it before trying (but it does work! even if used only once per day).

I love your newsletters, they have helped me to be a much more thrifty person. I'm needing some help but I don't know if anyone can help me but here it goes. I had gone to my doctor and he told me that I had one of the worse cases of sinus problems. It's so bad that I vomit day and night and I'm not able to keep food in my stomach. I have tried everything out on the market for sinuses and also the doctor has given me prescriptions for "meds". Right now there is nothing for me to take, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a herb or if there is something that I can do to resolve this problem that I have. I don't have much money and going to an ears, nose and throat doctor is really out of the question. I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Thank You

Wendy

my daughter has sinus problems too, the dr. suggested nasal douching. In a 1 quaart glass (very clean) fill with warm tap water. put 2 to 3 heaping teaspoons of pickling or canning salt(no table salt) 1 teaspoon baking soda and mix. store at room temp. up to a week. 2 to 3 times a day use a bulb syring ( baby nose cleaner). put liquid in bowl , then into syring then place in nostrel , stand over the sink . I hope this works for you.

Peppermint essential oil(NOT fragrance oils!) a drop on your tongue and/or mix a drop with 10 drops of sweet almond oil and put a bit on your forehead, over the area of conjestion. If it gets too "hot " on your skin add more pure sweet almond oil to cool it down. Repeat as needed.

Really opens up the sinuses in my experience.

Make sure you get the highest quality oil you can afford. This is a case where you get what you pay for. Select the highest price, essential oil available. Do not skimp here.

Keep you hands away from your eyes and other mucus membranes too or the EO may "burn". Cool with almond oil if you forget and get some in your eyes. I warned you!

Wendy, do you get headaches? I suffered with "sinus" headaches for almost 20 years (I even ended up in the ER a couple of times). I finally when to an ENT during one of my headaches and he stuck a scope up my nose. To my surprise he said it wasn't my sinuses but a migraine. He said that sinus headaches don't make you throw up. Changing my eatting habits and going off certain medications has helped temendously.

Wendy, I have sinus problems also and I use the herbs echinacea and zinc. They work great for me . I have also been told to drink some red tea, I havent tryed the red tea yet. I have found all of these things at super walmart. I hope this helps.

Evie

Hello,

you really have to see a Ear, nose and throat dr.

It could be something that needs attention..

my nil dealt with sinus infection for a long time.. turns out it was something completely different.

I urge you to go !! NOW.. Please .. get a loan.. have mom or dad pay for it..

sorry to be so pushy.. but honestly ..it is nothing to put off !!

Lisa

I use and swear by nasal irrigation using a "neti" pot - same idea as the bulb syringe, except you pour a steady stream of warm water with just a pinch of salt up one nostril, and eventually it works its way out the other. Sounds gross, but I am so much better and no longer suffer from sinus infections. Source for Neti Pot - www.internatural.com search on "neti pot". Good luck!

Go to (www.herbdoc.com) and look for Lobelia. My father had severe allergies and would choke and not be able to breathe and he would take 15 drops in 2 oz. water and would be coughing up mucus and blowing nose in just 2 or 3 minutes, this worked when even a nebulizer would not. I eat Peppercini peppers and sip the juice to help clear my sinuses.

Just a quick grating of fresh horseradish and even an inadvertant inhalation of the fumes sure wooks for me!

If there is any sign of infection take one clove of garlic (cut into pill-sized pieces) three times a day. It's anti-biotic and astringent. (This is also wonderful at heading off a sore throat! My son CHEWS the garlic [ew!] and swears it works better)

Fresh rosemary tea is also anti-biotic.

For the nausea-fresh ginger root. (Do NOT chew. It's spicy!)

what i have found to give me relief was irrigation and cool air. Drink plenty of fluids and and whenever possible sleep with a humidifier.

I did the irrigation thing yesterday and the water didnt go through to the other nostril. After I had such pressure that I thought I could not stand it anymore. Today is just a little better. Still have terrible pressure. I can breath fine. Help!

I am also suffering from the problem of ch.sinusoitis.As I know it is an allergic problem.But uptill now I always used to take anti-allergic tablets, but now after seeing these remedies I will try one of them.I hope one must work for me.

My father and I have had chronic sinus trouble, and the Neti pot seems to help a lot. I have only used it for a week now and but I'm feeling tons better, and my Dad swears by it. It's sort of gross and hard to do when you first start, but definitely worth it!

i have sinus problems very often and to get a little relief, i drink juice at room temperature or i put on a pot of boiling water.

Use a humidifier, breathe in steam and use saline nose drops

In many cases it can be important to see an ENT doc, BUT: I have had chronic allergic sinisus for so many years and let's see...I think I am on #6 ENT (at least!) All but the last were almost totally useless. Really, would have made me much sicker if I had listened. For example, on one day, I had had to see 3 docs in a row, with the ENT last. First 2 were amazed at the horrible case of throat thrush I had (because another ENT had given me a nasal + an oral steroid w/out telling me that effect.) Arriving at doc #3, the very famous ENT, who was supposed to treat the dang thing, I was told that it wasn't thrush at all, just a li'l bit o' post nasal drip from my GERD (with defies logic) & told me to put the top 2 feet of my bed on 6 inch risers. Goodbye and $200 please.

One of them did recommend a sort of Neti pot, as discussed above, but it had to be an electric $160 bought from him (w/no insurance repayment.) It works exactly as a Neti pot, except the water has to be cold, so it works less well and hurts. THE NETI POT IS GREAT. Please try it.

#4 gave me terrible thrush again, by prescribing another oral steroid inhaler. I told him 5 way to Sundays how they gave me thrush, but, of course, he didn't believe a li'l ol' woman (with almost a P.hD. - but they *really* don't want to hear that!) He swore that this was diff because it was a powder, had been used in Germany for 20 years w/o 1 case of thrush, blah blah blah. I fell for it & had thrush in 2 days. I called him -- and he didn;t believe me still! Even after I read to him the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference parts about *thrush being the #1 side effect that happens in so many cases.* [This, BTW, was a "Best Doctor" from the New York Magazine survey!)

#5 wanted to do surgery immediately. Only #6 saw that it was caused by allergies (which was as clear as a bell, AND which I had told ALL of them) and he really couldn't help me until an allergist did. He recommended a good one, and the neti pot.

ALSO, I put ESSENTIAL OILS, as noted above, in my shower. I put ~10 drops of each: Eucalyptus, mint; and a few drops of whatever "pretty" oil that I have on hand (Rose, Geranium, or, the best, Neroli, the scent just like 4711) on the tub mat way in the back, where I won't step on the oil and trip. Then I start the water, then ready myself to get in. By the time I'm in the smell is starting to get delicious, and throughout the shower, the hot water helps the essential oils permiate the air and my nose, sinuses, and lungs. It helps to open up eveything! As a bonus,my skin is moisturised and the bathroom smells heavenly for the rest of the day. Aaah!

Best wishes and God bless you

Donna Marchionni

in New York

I use Bayberry bark herb for my sinuses. Buy at a health food store and I just follow the directions.

Also, when I start to feel an infection I do these things too-

1. I change my clothes and wash my face and hands every time I come in from outdoors.

Yes, it does lead to a lot of laundry! But it really works for me.

When I wash my face, I also wash a little up my nostrils because the tiny hairs catch pollen.

Rinse well!

You can even try baby wipes, they are quicker.

I do this even if I go outside for five minutes.

2. Brush your hair really well when you come in from outdoors.

3. Stay inside on windy days and keep the windows rolled up on your car.

4. Keep the air conditioning in your car on 'recirculate' and don't air condition the air from the outside. In other words, don't use 'vent'.

5. Get lots of sleep

6. Eat lightly and stay away from any kind of meat and dairy and sugar. I'm not a fanatic, but even trying a little bit helps!

7. Drink one glass of lukewarm water with the juice of one whole fresh lemon in it every hour until you start to feel better. This will work.

8. I hate to be graphic! But keep your bowels moving! Even if you have to take a mild laxative, it's important to get the toxins out of your body fast. All that infection from your sinuses is going back into your body. I'm thinking that maybe that's why you vomit.

Movements are also important especially when you are detoxing as in the advice above. Get it out of there!

8. Wear all natural clothing against your body like cotton or silk, etc.

9. This works like a charm.

Get into the shower and let the water run as hot as you can stand it, for as long as you can stand it, right onto your sinuses on your face.

Then, using cold water do the same; run cold water as cold as you can stand it, for as long as you can stand it, over your sinuses.

Alternate back and forth for as long as you can. Alternating hot and cold constricts your sinuses so they dislodge the infection. Sounds gross. I know. It is gross. But it might help you!

9. Detox your skin by giving yourself a 'salt glow'.

Into the shower again and use a clean wash cloth NOT a loofah, get rid of your loofah since they carry so much bacteria.

Put salt and fresh lemon juice onto your washcloth and give yourself a good rub all over.

Our skin is the largest organ we have (I remember when I first heard that and it still amazes me) - this step is important especially in light of the detoxing process.

Lots of luck to you, sweetie.

Check out herb books and health food stores like Whole Foods Market in your area. Bayberry bark works for me, but there are so many out there. Just please remember this-herbs are medicine. Our ancestors used herbs before we had conventional medicine. Did you know that aspirin was derived from white willow bark herb? Did you know that digitalis came from foxglove? Too cool!

God bless you!

:)

I get sinus pain all up the front of my face. I also get bad headaches and a very bad upset tummy. Is there anything I can do or take to make this all better? Thanks for any answers.

By Carmen from Houston, TX

I'm not a big fan of reading directions and am nervous when trying something new. What is the easiest way to rinse your sinuses? This is for the purpose of removing pollen and when my nose is clogged.

Thanks!

By Karen

I suffered from acid reflux which partially damaged my esophagus since then I have suffered from post nasal drip and sinus pressure and headaches. I am limited to taking different sinus medicines because of high blood pressure. Are there any home remedy treatments or over the counter medications I can take?

By Dan L.

I sometimes get killer sinus headaches and I can deal with them in these ways:

I use saline solution - or you could snuffle salt water - up my nose to my sinuses. I close my nose with my fingers and gently force air in and out of my sinuses, gently massaging them (you can hear a slight noise and feel mucus down the back of your throat).

I massage the tense muscles of my head, neck and shoulders. I take a regular pain reliever for the headache. I apply heating pads to my sinuses/head and/or take a hot bath and breathe the steam. You can also use over the counter sinus meds - but they are just a pain reliever + pseudo-ephedrine or some other substitute - so you can put together your own mix - but it's speedy and keeps me awake. Also note that after repeated use decongestants have the OPPOSITE effect and further enflame your sinuses - so the manual remedies will work when all else fails!) Again - after these methods, you should feel mucus draining down the back of your throat and a lessening of pressure.

By Pam from Los Angeles

Answers:

Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

I use the saltwater rinses also, and nothing ever worked for me before as well as this. I gargle with and snuff up the saline every morning when it is my bad sinus season and it has been much better since starting. I don't like to take sudafed, because it makes me feel yucky. The saltwater helps to pull the fluid out of the inflamed tissues. OOoohhh it's good to be able to smell things again. (09/09/2006)

By TC in MO

Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

There is also something you can place in the shower with you and is dissolves in the hot water as you shower. It works pretty good if I catch my headache early. Also, I use Tei-Fu essential oil - I put a drop at the opening of each nostril and breath in - it's great and natural!!! (09/10/2006)

By Karen

Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

Being one for trying to prevent rather than trying to just treat the headache or problem, I want to add the facts that these sorts of headaches can come from WHEY in milk by-products like ice creams/gravies/soups/fitness-energy bars/and plain non-organic milks and cheeses. It's seems that it's not so much these items of themselves, but rather in concert with peppers and/or accidentally getting dust and dirt into our noses/mouths/ears. Everyone should pay attention so each one can eliminate the need for medicines of any kinds wherever possible, prescriptive or over the counter. Frequent hand washing before eating, cleaning linens weekly or more often so one doesn't have to develop the sinus infection/mucous. ALSO, a pharmacist told me the saline sprays have a particular type of salt that table salt cannot reproduce. Check with him to get the right proportions/type of salt. It's not as easy I thought to prevent sinus burning from WRONG salt.

God bless you. (09/10/2006)

By lyndagayle62