Home Remedies for Sinus Problems

Sinus headaches or pain can be very bothersome. This is a guide about home remedies for sinus problems.

February 1, 2010 Flag

Whenever I get a bad sinus headache, I take a piece or two of clear medical tape and stick them onto my forehead. The tape needs to be held on both ends so that it is a little taut. I don't know why this works, but it has helped me innumerable times, since I'm prone to sinus headaches. Even a band-aid will help, but not as well. This may help with other types of headaches too.

Source: I found this out by accident. One morning when I had a bad headache, my daughter (who was 4 at the time) wanted to put a band-aid on my forehead to help my "owie". I let her put one on, and was amazed at how much it helped.

By Kitkatk100 from Wichita, KS

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

December 12, 2006 Flag

I met a woman recently who had cosmetic surgery to correct sinus problems. Well, I thought to myself, when suffering, I just use heating pads on my sinuses to help them drain, plus a little bit of decongestant (too much irritates the sinuses and makes them worse). Also drink hot drinks and inhale the steam, and you can squirt saline solution up your nose. But then, I like my nose the way it is. I guess she didn't!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

November 19, 2014 Flag

To relieve the 'saline burn' when using a sinus rinse just add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) to the mix. I got this from my GP.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 26, 2014 Flag

I've been running a humidifier for about 2 months now and it doesn't seem like it's helping my stuffy nose. Is there anything I can add to it to maybe help clear my sinuses?

By Kerry

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I was having the same problem I ended up going to an allergist. My problem was dust mite allergy. dust mites love high humidity. all houses have dust mites. Just some more than others. I was cleaning three times more than they suggested had covers on all my pillows, mattress and box springs. Getting rid of a humidifier was my largest help

Best Answer

A Neti Pot does wonders. In case you don't know what they are, do a google search. You can find them at drugstores and probably Walmart carries them too. They are around $10. You can probably go to YouTube and see how they're used. Cleaning out your sinuses a couple times a day does wonders and makes breathing so much easier. I learned what they are and how to use them by watching Dr. Oz's tv show.

Best Answer

I certainly agree that a Neti pot is the best solution but just a word of caution.

Be sure to use either freshly BOILED water (cooled) or distilled/purified water if you are making your own solution.

There is a lot of information on the Internet about the pros and cons (and dangers) of using a Neti pot.

My doctor explained to me that bacteria can be in regular tap water that does not harm us in drinking but can cause problems in your sinus cavities. Be sure to read about it before trying (but it does work! even if used only once per day).

I've heard that a few drops of eucalyptus oil can help but it has never seemed to do anything for me. I had recurring sinus infections until I started using a neti pot at the first sign of congestion. It was uncomfortable and awkward to use at first but I haven't had any problems since using it this winter. I highly recommend giving it a try for relieving stuffiness.

Good old vapor rub. I get the dollar store brand, as they are all the same. A tiny bit under your nose and some on your chest at night does wonders. Saves on electricity, too.

July 19, 2011 Flag

I get sinus pain all up the front of my face. I also get bad headaches and a very bad upset tummy. Is there anything I can do or take to make this all better? Thanks for any answers.

By Carmen from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Consult a doctor especially if you have yellow mucous (sign of infection). Also try to use sinus kettle (any store sells them) using a warm water and some saline to rinse your sinus passage.

I agree that it is always important to check with your doctor to make sure your symptoms aren't something serious. That said, I've suffered from sinus problems and migraines, and there are some things you can do for self-help. You are more likely to have sinus issues if you have allergies, so you might try an OTC allergy med to see if that helps. If it is just sinus (not migraine), a neti pot can help, you don't need to use the saline they sell. I make my own with 1 cup warm filtered water (no chlorine, irritates sinuses) and 1/2 tsp. un-iodized salt (iodine irritates sinuses, too). Just follow the directions for use.

There is a spray called "Sinus Buster" that is supposed to help both with sinus issues and headaches--it is made from saline and cayenne. I have used this and have actually made my own using the same formula for saline, above, and a pinch of cayenne. I strain it through a coffee filter (the cayenne can clog) and use an old Dristan bottle to insert the formula. You can control how strong it is, it will make your eyes water, but it works!

Also, an acupuncturist gave me a simple formula for sinus infection that has worked so well for me, I've never needed antibiotics since: chop up three or four green onions (scallions), roots, greens, and all, add two tablespoons dried soybeans (not roasted, this can be found at your health food store) and two cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a slow boil. Steam over it for about 20 minutes (until there is only a cup left), then drink the rest. Do this twice daily. Works great, my friends have had good luck with it, as well.

It could be a migraine, too. A friend of mine has migraines in which the blood vessel that is inflamed (what basically causes migraine) is in her sinus area, causing symptoms of both issues. The cayenne mix, above, can help. Another thing that helps migraines is a combination of caffeine (constricts the blood vessel) and aspirin. Excedrin migraine is basically just that. You can do the same at home by having black coffee and taking aspirin at the same time.

Good luck to you!

Go to your local drug store and purchase a neti pot or, my favorite, the SinusRinse system (go to <www.sinusrinse.com> where you can mail order) and use as instructed. This system used twice daily has made my battle with sinus pain and sinusitis much, much better. If you're nervous about squirting the salt solution up your nose, that's normal. When squirted up one nostril, it hits the top of your nasal cavity and drains out your other nostril. It's actually very refreshing and feels extremely good.

Ditto with checking with your doctor and then get yourself a neti pot and use the pots suggested sinus rinse solution once or twice a day during your susceptible times. I have really bad sinus problems off and on and the neti pot greatly and gently cleans everything out giving wonderful relief! My sinus' sometimes get so bad that the drainage makes me sick enough to throw up a bunch of drainage so I sympathize with your situation.

Allergies my left cheek hurts bad have green mucus . What remedy do u have

July 16, 2004 Flag

I love your newsletters, they have helped me to be a much more thrifty person. I'm needing some help but I don't know if anyone can help me but here it goes. I had gone to my doctor and he told me that I had one of the worse cases of sinus problems. It's so bad that I vomit day and night and I'm not able to keep food in my stomach. I have tried everything out on the market for sinuses and also the doctor has given me prescriptions for "meds". Right now there is nothing for me to take, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a herb or if there is something that I can do to resolve this problem that I have. I don't have much money and going to an ears, nose and throat doctor is really out of the question. I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Thank You

Wendy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use a humidifier, breathe in steam and use saline nose drops

In many cases it can be important to see an ENT doc, BUT: I have had chronic allergic sinisus for so many years and let's see...I think I am on #6 ENT (at least!) All but the last were almost totally useless. Really, would have made me much sicker if I had listened. For example, on one day, I had had to see 3 docs in a row, with the ENT last. First 2 were amazed at the horrible case of throat thrush I had (because another ENT had given me a nasal + an oral steroid w/out telling me that effect.) Arriving at doc #3, the very famous ENT, who was supposed to treat the dang thing, I was told that it wasn't thrush at all, just a li'l bit o' post nasal drip from my GERD (with defies logic) & told me to put the top 2 feet of my bed on 6 inch risers. Goodbye and $200 please.

One of them did recommend a sort of Neti pot, as discussed above, but it had to be an electric $160 bought from him (w/no insurance repayment.) It works exactly as a Neti pot, except the water has to be cold, so it works less well and hurts. THE NETI POT IS GREAT. Please try it.

#4 gave me terrible thrush again, by prescribing another oral steroid inhaler. I told him 5 way to Sundays how they gave me thrush, but, of course, he didn't believe a li'l ol' woman (with almost a P.hD. - but they *really* don't want to hear that!) He swore that this was diff because it was a powder, had been used in Germany for 20 years w/o 1 case of thrush, blah blah blah. I fell for it & had thrush in 2 days. I called him -- and he didn;t believe me still! Even after I read to him the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference parts about *thrush being the #1 side effect that happens in so many cases.* [This, BTW, was a "Best Doctor" from the New York Magazine survey!)

#5 wanted to do surgery immediately. Only #6 saw that it was caused by allergies (which was as clear as a bell, AND which I had told ALL of them) and he really couldn't help me until an allergist did. He recommended a good one, and the neti pot.

ALSO, I put ESSENTIAL OILS, as noted above, in my shower. I put ~10 drops of each: Eucalyptus, mint; and a few drops of whatever "pretty" oil that I have on hand (Rose, Geranium, or, the best, Neroli, the scent just like 4711) on the tub mat way in the back, where I won't step on the oil and trip. Then I start the water, then ready myself to get in. By the time I'm in the smell is starting to get delicious, and throughout the shower, the hot water helps the essential oils permiate the air and my nose, sinuses, and lungs. It helps to open up eveything! As a bonus,my skin is moisturised and the bathroom smells heavenly for the rest of the day. Aaah!

Best wishes and God bless you

Donna Marchionni

in New York

I use Bayberry bark herb for my sinuses. Buy at a health food store and I just follow the directions.

Also, when I start to feel an infection I do these things too-

1. I change my clothes and wash my face and hands every time I come in from outdoors.

Yes, it does lead to a lot of laundry! But it really works for me.

When I wash my face, I also wash a little up my nostrils because the tiny hairs catch pollen.

Rinse well!

You can even try baby wipes, they are quicker.

I do this even if I go outside for five minutes.

2. Brush your hair really well when you come in from outdoors.

3. Stay inside on windy days and keep the windows rolled up on your car.

4. Keep the air conditioning in your car on 'recirculate' and don't air condition the air from the outside. In other words, don't use 'vent'.

5. Get lots of sleep

6. Eat lightly and stay away from any kind of meat and dairy and sugar. I'm not a fanatic, but even trying a little bit helps!

7. Drink one glass of lukewarm water with the juice of one whole fresh lemon in it every hour until you start to feel better. This will work.

8. I hate to be graphic! But keep your bowels moving! Even if you have to take a mild laxative, it's important to get the toxins out of your body fast. All that infection from your sinuses is going back into your body. I'm thinking that maybe that's why you vomit.

Movements are also important especially when you are detoxing as in the advice above. Get it out of there!

8. Wear all natural clothing against your body like cotton or silk, etc.

9. This works like a charm.

Get into the shower and let the water run as hot as you can stand it, for as long as you can stand it, right onto your sinuses on your face.

Then, using cold water do the same; run cold water as cold as you can stand it, for as long as you can stand it, over your sinuses.

Alternate back and forth for as long as you can. Alternating hot and cold constricts your sinuses so they dislodge the infection. Sounds gross. I know. It is gross. But it might help you!

9. Detox your skin by giving yourself a 'salt glow'.

Into the shower again and use a clean wash cloth NOT a loofah, get rid of your loofah since they carry so much bacteria.

Put salt and fresh lemon juice onto your washcloth and give yourself a good rub all over.

Our skin is the largest organ we have (I remember when I first heard that and it still amazes me) - this step is important especially in light of the detoxing process.

Lots of luck to you, sweetie.

Check out herb books and health food stores like Whole Foods Market in your area. Bayberry bark works for me, but there are so many out there. Just please remember this-herbs are medicine. Our ancestors used herbs before we had conventional medicine. Did you know that aspirin was derived from white willow bark herb? Did you know that digitalis came from foxglove? Too cool!

God bless you!

:)

Please don't use Lobelia - it is considered to be dangerous and poisonous.

Last week I had my 3rd or 4th attack of "severe headache" in the past year. After doing a CAT scan, the doctor detected it was sinusoitis & just asked me to use a steam inhaler 3-4 times a day. Believe me, the cure was magical. With the first inhalation, I already was feeling better. He didnt prescribe any meditation.

Try it out. It is cheap & has no side effects ;-) All the best!

June 10, 2013 Flag

I suffered from acid reflux which partially damaged my esophagus since then I have suffered from post nasal drip and sinus pressure and headaches. I am limited to taking different sinus medicines because of high blood pressure. Are there any home remedy treatments or over the counter medications I can take?

By Dan L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sorry about your gut and sinus issues - I can relate! There are several ways to help. First, if you haven't tried a neti pot, a teapot-shaped nasal irrigator, try it. You don't have to use their expensive salt - just use 1 tsp non-iodized salt (do NOT use iodized salt - it can give irritate your nasal passages) to 16 oz. distilled or filtered water. There are more expensive nasal irrigators out there that are designed like Water-piks which work even better and direct the flow better, but they are much more expensive, and you should see if a neti pot is adequate first.

Also, saline sprays can help loosen what is up there throughout the day. Try not to use any with preservatives, as they can actually cause more inflammation. I make my own using saline water with the same recipe above and suck it up into a used nasal spray bottle that I've cleaned with bleach water.

If you are brave, there is a product called Sinus Buster that is made with cayenne that opens up the passages with a blast that will make your eyes pop open, once the tears are over! I bought one bottle of it and decided to make my own. I use the same saline recipe as above, then add a bit of cayenne powder and strain it through a coffee filter. I put it in an old sinus buster bottle or a clean used nasal spray bottle. Not for the faint of heart!

Finally, I use essential oils, particularly rosemary, eucalyptus, and peppermint. I will throw a few drops of each on simmering water and steam over it for 20 minutes a couple of times a day or I will take a hot bath with Epsom salts and several drops of each of the oils. I have also taken a few sea salt crystals and the essential oils and put them in a tiny vial to sniff throughout the day.

Good luck to you!

Try a Neti pot. It requires running warm water through your sinuses and brings a lot of relief to many who use it. You can get one at the drug store or on ebay. Be sure to use purified water as rare infectons have been reported using home tap water.

January 31, 2010 Flag

I sometimes get killer sinus headaches and I can deal with them in these ways:

I use saline solution - or you could snuffle salt water - up my nose to my sinuses. I close my nose with my fingers and gently force air in and out of my sinuses, gently massaging them (you can hear a slight noise and feel mucus down the back of your throat).

I massage the tense muscles of my head, neck and shoulders. I take a regular pain reliever for the headache. I apply heating pads to my sinuses/head and/or take a hot bath and breathe the steam. You can also use over the counter sinus meds - but they are just a pain reliever + pseudo-ephedrine or some other substitute - so you can put together your own mix - but it's speedy and keeps me awake. Also note that after repeated use decongestants have the OPPOSITE effect and further enflame your sinuses - so the manual remedies will work when all else fails!) Again - after these methods, you should feel mucus draining down the back of your throat and a lessening of pressure.

By Pam from Los Angeles

Answers:

Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

I use the saltwater rinses also, and nothing ever worked for me before as well as this. I gargle with and snuff up the saline every morning when it is my bad sinus season and it has been much better since starting. I don't like to take sudafed, because it makes me feel yucky. The saltwater helps to pull the fluid out of the inflamed tissues. OOoohhh it's good to be able to smell things again. (09/09/2006)

By TC in MO

Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

There is also something you can place in the shower with you and is dissolves in the hot water as you shower. It works pretty good if I catch my headache early. Also, I use Tei-Fu essential oil - I put a drop at the opening of each nostril and breath in - it's great and natural!!! (09/10/2006)

By Karen

Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

Being one for trying to prevent rather than trying to just treat the headache or problem, I want to add the facts that these sorts of headaches can come from WHEY in milk by-products like ice creams/gravies/soups/fitness-energy bars/and plain non-organic milks and cheeses. It's seems that it's not so much these items of themselves, but rather in concert with peppers and/or accidentally getting dust and dirt into our noses/mouths/ears. Everyone should pay attention so each one can eliminate the need for medicines of any kinds wherever possible, prescriptive or over the counter. Frequent hand washing before eating, cleaning linens weekly or more often so one doesn't have to develop the sinus infection/mucous. ALSO, a pharmacist told me the saline sprays have a particular type of salt that table salt cannot reproduce. Check with him to get the right proportions/type of salt. It's not as easy I thought to prevent sinus burning from WRONG salt.

God bless you. (09/10/2006)

By lyndagayle62

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 6, 2013
Woman using nasal spray.
Using Nasal Spray
Relieving Sinus Pressure
Relieving Sinus Pressure
Yahoo Mail
Troubleshooting Problems with Yahoo Mail
Starting a Lawnmower
Lawn Mower Won't Stay Running
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 1:10:34 AM on 10.0.2.172 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.