Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Home Remedies for Sinus Problems

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Girl with sinus pain.

Sinus headaches or pain can be very bothersome. This is a guide about home remedies for sinus problems.

Solutions: Home Remedies for Sinus Problems

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

Whenever I get a bad sinus headache, I take a piece or two of clear medical tape and stick them onto my forehead. The tape needs to be held on both ends so that it is a little taut. I don't know why this works, but it has helped me innumerable times, since I'm prone to sinus headaches. Even a band-aid will help, but not as well. This may help with other types of headaches too.

Source: I found this out by accident. One morning when I had a bad headache, my daughter (who was 4 at the time) wanted to put a band-aid on my forehead to help my "owie". I let her put one on, and was amazed at how much it helped.

By Kitkatk100 from Wichita, KS

Tip: Sinus Solutions

I met a woman recently who had cosmetic surgery to correct sinus problems. Well, I thought to myself, when suffering, I just use heating pads on my sinuses to help them drain, plus a little bit of decongestant (too much irritates the sinuses and makes them worse). Also drink hot drinks and inhale the steam, and you can squirt saline solution up your nose. But then, I like my nose the way it is. I guess she didn't!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Home Remedies for Sinus Problems.

Question: Treating Stuffy Sinuses

I've been running a humidifier for about 2 months now and it doesn't seem like it's helping my stuffy nose. Is there anything I can add to it to maybe help clear my sinuses?

By Kerry

Best Answers

By cybergrannie [30]02/28/2014

I certainly agree that a Neti pot is the best solution but just a word of caution.

Be sure to use either freshly BOILED water (cooled) or distilled/purified water if you are making your own solution.
There is a lot of information on the Internet about the pros and cons (and dangers) of using a Neti pot.

My doctor explained to me that bacteria can be in regular tap water that does not harm us in drinking but can cause problems in your sinus cavities. Be sure to read about it before trying (but it does work! even if used only once per day).

Best Answers

By weinerdog41 [31]02/27/2014

A Neti Pot does wonders. In case you don't know what they are, do a google search. You can find them at drugstores and probably Walmart carries them too. They are around $10. You can probably go to YouTube and see how they're used. Cleaning out your sinuses a couple times a day does wonders and makes breathing so much easier. I learned what they are and how to use them by watching Dr. Oz's tv show.

Best Answers

By Penny Custar [2]02/27/2014

I was having the same problem I ended up going to an allergist. My problem was dust mite allergy. dust mites love high humidity. all houses have dust mites. Just some more than others. I was cleaning three times more than they suggested had covers on all my pillows, mattress and box springs. Getting rid of a humidifier was my largest help

Question: Home Remedies for Sinus Pressure

I suffered from acid reflux which partially damaged my esophagus since then I have suffered from post nasal drip and sinus pressure and headaches. I am limited to taking different sinus medicines because of high blood pressure. Are there any home remedy treatments or over the counter medications I can take?

By Dan L.

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny06/12/2013

Try a Neti pot. It requires running warm water through your sinuses and brings a lot of relief to many who use it. You can get one at the drug store or on ebay. Be sure to use purified water as rare infectons have been reported using home tap water.

Question: Remedies for Sinus Pain

I get sinus pain all up the front of my face. I also get bad headaches and a very bad upset tummy. Is there anything I can do or take to make this all better? Thanks for any answers.

By Carmen from Houston, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Anonymous07/22/2011

Ditto with checking with your doctor and then get yourself a neti pot and use the pots suggested sinus rinse solution once or twice a day during your susceptible times. I have really bad sinus problems off and on and the neti pot greatly and gently cleans everything out giving wonderful relief! My sinus' sometimes get so bad that the drainage makes me sick enough to throw up a bunch of drainage so I sympathize with your situation.

Question: Remedies for Sinus Problems

I love your newsletters, they have helped me to be a much more thrifty person. I'm needing some help but I don't know if anyone can help me but here it goes. I had gone to my doctor and he told me that I had one of the worse cases of sinus problems. It's so bad that I vomit day and night and I'm not able to keep food in my stomach. I have tried everything out on the market for sinuses and also the doctor has given me prescriptions for "meds". Right now there is nothing for me to take, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a herb or if there is something that I can do to resolve this problem that I have. I don't have much money and going to an ears, nose and throat doctor is really out of the question. I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Thank You

Wendy

Most Recent Answer

By nancycorinne (Guest Post)07/31/2008

Wow, and wow! You have gotten a lot of excellent advice. Here is my experience. I have post-nasal drip - ALWAYS.

It is due to allergies. When they tested me with 100 allergens, I reacted 8+ to ALL OF THEM on a scale of 1 to 10. So, basically I'm allergic to the top 100 known typical allergens. I suspect you have the post nasal drip so bad it makes you vomit. I understand. That happens to me too. I can go through that for days.

NOW, if you are puking enough to dehydrate, get to the ER, do not pass GO! Drink lots of fluids (not wine and beer or any other alcohol - as they are famous for allergens PLUS if you are so full of phlegm, you sure don't need to be zonked out when you go to sleep), God only Knows you could possibly choke on your phlegm and nobody would know.)

Water, tea, and even sodas are better beverage choices. Water with lemon or lime is really good to help cut through phlegm. (I'd like to meet the person who named IT PHLEGM!) lol! Otherwise, do what ever you can to cut down on allergens in your home, ESPECIALLY where you sleep.

Don't do your own vacuuming if you can avoid it. Maybe you can do some kind of help for a friend or neighbor in exchange for vacuuming... but do it or have it done regularly a couple or a few days a week If you must do it yourself - cover your mouth and nose with a mask or kerchiff. Never EVER handle the full vacuum bag without gloves and a mask.

Empty the vacuum bag well before it feels like a brick, OK? They are usually only effective when they are much less than what would feel like 1/2 full to you. I think I just scared the CR*P out of you, but I know these things are helpful.

Do not use a humidifier that warms the water due to the mold it can put into the air. I have heard cold water humidifiers are a better choice if you feel too dried up and are still experiencing these symptoms.

First and foremost, stay away from mold. Secondly, do whatever you can to cover your pillows and mattress. One of the worst allergens are/is DUST MITES (oh no, mr. bill!). If you don't have the dust covers for your pillows or your mattress, use every pillow case you own on your pillow (I have about 4 pillow cases on the pillows that I don't have dust covers for) and wash them regularly and the same goes for your sheets.

Dust mites live in fabric (Like mattresses, pillows and carpet) and are difficult to get rid of, so you just cover them. Unless of course you can freeze them. You can put your pillows or whatever is small enough in the freezer - it helps kill dust mites.

I know you don't have money, so, you can make your own sinus rinse.
You can look up how to make saline solution using Google or another search engine. You don't just rinse your nostrils, you have to get the saline solution to go way way up into your forehead and then let it run out your nose and throat...I"m thinking a hair coloring bottle with the long nozzle would work nicely as long as it is completely clean.

Just make a saline solution, (it's just salt and water) then hold your head up over the sink, squirt the solution way, way up ... HARD then tip your head nose first into the sink with your mouth open and let it run out your nose, throat and mouth. It's sort of like puking except you relax everything and just let it go up your nose and back our your nose and throat. I know it sounds PUKY, but it's a lot thinner than what you've been vomiting.

I totally understand vomiting phlegm. After a night of sleep, I can wake up and feel it in my throat. It does that tickle thing and makes me toss my cookies. Sometimes for so long that I think I can't breathe ever again and I'm gonna die! But there is nothing in my stomach and I'm just vomiting the pleghm that has dripped down my throat which I've swallowed all night.

I have rambled, but I sure hope you can get some relief. I sure hope you feel better soon. I wish I could fix it completely for you! Hugz!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

I sometimes get killer sinus headaches and I can deal with them in these ways:

I use saline solution - or you could snuffle salt water - up my nose to my sinuses. I close my nose with my fingers and gently force air in and out of my sinuses, gently massaging them (you can hear a slight noise and feel mucus down the back of your throat).

I massage the tense muscles of my head, neck and shoulders. I take a regular pain reliever for the headache. I apply heating pads to my sinuses/head and/or take a hot bath and breathe the steam. You can also use over the counter sinus meds - but they are just a pain reliever + pseudo-ephedrine or some other substitute - so you can put together your own mix - but it's speedy and keeps me awake. Also note that after repeated use decongestants have the OPPOSITE effect and further enflame your sinuses - so the manual remedies will work when all else fails!) Again - after these methods, you should feel mucus draining down the back of your throat and a lessening of pressure.

By Pam from Los Angeles

RE: Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

I use the saltwater rinses also, and nothing ever worked for me before as well as this. I gargle with and snuff up the saline every morning when it is my bad sinus season and it has been much better since starting. I don't like to take sudafed, because it makes me feel yucky. The saltwater helps to pull the fluid out of the inflamed tissues. OOoohhh it's good to be able to smell things again. (09/09/2006)

By TC in MO

RE: Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

There is also something you can place in the shower with you and is dissolves in the hot water as you shower. It works pretty good if I catch my headache early. Also, I use Tei-Fu essential oil - I put a drop at the opening of each nostril and breath in - it's great and natural!!! (09/10/2006)

By Karen

RE: Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

Being one for trying to prevent rather than trying to just treat the headache or problem, I want to add the facts that these sorts of headaches can come from WHEY in milk by-products like ice creams/gravies/soups/fitness-energy bars/and plain non-organic milks and cheeses. It's seems that it's not so much these items of themselves, but rather in concert with peppers and/or accidentally getting dust and dirt into our noses/mouths/ears. Everyone should pay attention so each one can eliminate the need for medicines of any kinds wherever possible, prescriptive or over the counter. Frequent hand washing before eating, cleaning linens weekly or more often so one doesn't have to develop the sinus infection/mucous. ALSO, a pharmacist told me the saline sprays have a particular type of salt that table salt cannot reproduce. Check with him to get the right proportions/type of salt. It's not as easy I thought to prevent sinus burning from WRONG salt.

God bless you. (09/10/2006)

By lyndagayle62