Home Remedies for Sinus Problems

Sinus headaches or pain can be very bothersome. This is a guide about home remedies for sinus problems.

February 26, 2014 Flag

I've been running a humidifier for about 2 months now and it doesn't seem like it's helping my stuffy nose. Is there anything I can add to it to maybe help clear my sinuses?

By Kerry

Best Answer

I was having the same problem I ended up going to an allergist. My problem was dust mite allergy. dust mites love high humidity. all houses have dust mites. Just some more than others. I was cleaning three times more than they suggested had covers on all my pillows, mattress and box springs. Getting rid of a humidifier was my largest help

Best Answer

A Neti Pot does wonders. In case you don't know what they are, do a google search. You can find them at drugstores and probably Walmart carries them too. They are around $10. You can probably go to YouTube and see how they're used. Cleaning out your sinuses a couple times a day does wonders and makes breathing so much easier. I learned what they are and how to use them by watching Dr. Oz's tv show.

Best Answer

I certainly agree that a Neti pot is the best solution but just a word of caution.

Be sure to use either freshly BOILED water (cooled) or distilled/purified water if you are making your own solution.

There is a lot of information on the Internet about the pros and cons (and dangers) of using a Neti pot.

My doctor explained to me that bacteria can be in regular tap water that does not harm us in drinking but can cause problems in your sinus cavities. Be sure to read about it before trying (but it does work! even if used only once per day).

Good old vapor rub. I get the dollar store brand, as they are all the same. A tiny bit under your nose and some on your chest at night does wonders. Saves on electricity, too.

February 1, 2010 Flag

Whenever I get a bad sinus headache, I take a piece or two of clear medical tape and stick them onto my forehead. The tape needs to be held on both ends so that it is a little taut. I don't know why this works, but it has helped me innumerable times, since I'm prone to sinus headaches. Even a band-aid will help, but not as well. This may help with other types of headaches too.

Source: I found this out by accident. One morning when I had a bad headache, my daughter (who was 4 at the time) wanted to put a band-aid on my forehead to help my "owie". I let her put one on, and was amazed at how much it helped.

By Kitkatk100 from Wichita, KS

I used to have sinus headaches often. My Dr. said if I would keep my sinuses rinsed out with mild salt and soda water it would help. I got a McNeil sinus rinse kit (found at drug stores) and it keeps my sinus cleared out and I don't have headaches any more. I mix about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp soda in about 1 1/2 C warm water and put it in the rinse container.

Did you know that if you are going on a boat cruise and you suffer with sea sickness, all you do is put some elastoplast behind each ear. Somehow this works - I know because it worked for me.

Before the headache gets bad, try to unblock your nose by massaging the eyebrow bone about a fingers width away from your nose. You'll feel when it's the right place- it hurts! Rub in circles. Start gently and work up to firm. Not sure if this would help once the ache gets going but it helps to ward it off. I have been told this is a pressure point. Good luck.

Marg from England.

Imagine your nose, with warm salt water flowing through, this is the 'river' you create each time you wash your nose.

Your sinuses are stagnant ponds with small outlets allowing them to drain into the nose. When the saline solution flows past these outlets it creates a low-pressure stream that draws out the contents of the sinus cavities; just like a swiftly moving river would drain a small pond.

It is just common sense to practice this nasal cleansing as a part of daily nasal hygiene. You get rid of allergens, pollution, dust & stagnant mucus.

My allergist calls me a "success story" and congratulates me on achieving "normal" sinus health by practicing daily nose washing. She told me most patients of hers who have had sinus surgery like I did end up worse off. I never thought I would be normal. After my 3rd sinus operation - back in 1995. I got so depressed because all I could see ahead was more sickness, more surgery and no normal sinus health. But daily nosewashing helped me improve and normalize my sinus health. I can not say enough good things about it. I have also avoided colds by doing this. I swear! I used to work as a teacher and those germ bag kids were always sick.

I have not had a cold since 1999. I had one cold in 1998 & one in 1999. I did not retire from teaching until 2003. I began daily nose washing in 1995 so since 1995 I have had 2 colds and none since 1999.

Nose washing is one of the safest, easiest, cheapest & most beneficial things you can do for yourself. I don't want others to suffer as I did, that is why I encourage everyone I know to protect their sinus & respiratory health by washing the nose!

November 19, 2014 Flag

To relieve the 'saline burn' when using a sinus rinse just add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) to the mix. I got this from my GP.

December 12, 2006 Flag

I met a woman recently who had cosmetic surgery to correct sinus problems. Well, I thought to myself, when suffering, I just use heating pads on my sinuses to help them drain, plus a little bit of decongestant (too much irritates the sinuses and makes them worse).

July 19, 2011 Flag

I get sinus pain all up the front of my face. I also get bad headaches and a very bad upset tummy. Is there anything I can do or take to make this all better? Thanks for any answers.

By Carmen from Houston, TX

I agree that it is always important to check with your doctor to make sure your symptoms aren't something serious. That said, I've suffered from sinus problems and migraines, and there are some things you can do for self-help. You are more likely to have sinus issues if you have allergies, so you might try an OTC allergy med to see if that helps. If it is just sinus (not migraine), a neti pot can help, you don't need to use the saline they sell. I make my own with 1 cup warm filtered water (no chlorine, irritates sinuses) and 1/2 tsp. un-iodized salt (iodine irritates sinuses, too). Just follow the directions for use.

There is a spray called "Sinus Buster" that is supposed to help both with sinus issues and headaches--it is made from saline and cayenne. I have used this and have actually made my own using the same formula for saline, above, and a pinch of cayenne. I strain it through a coffee filter (the cayenne can clog) and use an old Dristan bottle to insert the formula. You can control how strong it is, it will make your eyes water, but it works!

Also, an acupuncturist gave me a simple formula for sinus infection that has worked so well for me, I've never needed antibiotics since: chop up three or four green onions (scallions), roots, greens, and all, add two tablespoons dried soybeans (not roasted, this can be found at your health food store) and two cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a slow boil. Steam over it for about 20 minutes (until there is only a cup left), then drink the rest. Do this twice daily. Works great, my friends have had good luck with it, as well.

It could be a migraine, too. A friend of mine has migraines in which the blood vessel that is inflamed (what basically causes migraine) is in her sinus area, causing symptoms of both issues. The cayenne mix, above, can help. Another thing that helps migraines is a combination of caffeine (constricts the blood vessel) and aspirin. Excedrin migraine is basically just that. You can do the same at home by having black coffee and taking aspirin at the same time.

Good luck to you!

Go to your local drug store and purchase a neti pot or, my favorite, the SinusRinse system (go to <www.sinusrinse.com> where you can mail order) and use as instructed. This system used twice daily has made my battle with sinus pain and sinusitis much, much better. If you're nervous about squirting the salt solution up your nose, that's normal. When squirted up one nostril, it hits the top of your nasal cavity and drains out your other nostril. It's actually very refreshing and feels extremely good.

Ditto with checking with your doctor and then get yourself a neti pot and use the pots suggested sinus rinse solution once or twice a day during your susceptible times. I have really bad sinus problems off and on and the neti pot greatly and gently cleans everything out giving wonderful relief! My sinus' sometimes get so bad that the drainage makes me sick enough to throw up a bunch of drainage so I sympathize with your situation.

Allergies my left cheek hurts bad have green mucus . What remedy do u have

July 16, 2004 Flag

I love your newsletters, they have helped me to be a much more thrifty person. I'm needing some help but I don't know if anyone can help me but here it goes. I had gone to my doctor and he told me that I had one of the worse cases of sinus problems. It's so bad that I vomit day and night and I'm not able to keep food in my stomach. I have tried everything out on the market for sinuses and also the doctor has given me prescriptions for "meds". Right now there is nothing for me to take, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a herb or if there is something that I can do to resolve this problem that I have. I don't have much money and going to an ears, nose and throat doctor is really out of the question. I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Thank You

In many cases it can be important to see an ENT doc, BUT: I have had chronic allergic sinisus for so many years and let's see...I think I am on #6 ENT (at least!) All but the last were almost totally useless. Really, would have made me much sicker if I had listened. For example, on one day, I had had to see 3 docs in a row, with the ENT last. First 2 were amazed at the horrible case of throat thrush I had (because another ENT had given me a nasal + an oral steroid w/out telling me that effect.) Arriving at doc #3, the very famous ENT, who was supposed to treat the dang thing, I was told that it wasn't thrush at all, just a li'l bit o' post nasal drip from my GERD (with defies logic) & told me to put the top 2 feet of my bed on 6 inch risers. Goodbye and $200 please.

One of them did recommend a sort of Neti pot, as discussed above, but it had to be an electric $160 bought from him (w/no insurance repayment.) It works exactly as a Neti pot, except the water has to be cold, so it works less well and hurts. THE NETI POT IS GREAT. Please try it.

#4 gave me terrible thrush again, by prescribing another oral steroid inhaler. I told him 5 way to Sundays how they gave me thrush, but, of course, he didn't believe a li'l ol' woman (with almost a P.hD. - but they *really* don't want to hear that!) He swore that this was diff because it was a powder, had been used in Germany for 20 years w/o 1 case of thrush, blah blah blah. I fell for it & had thrush in 2 days. I called him -- and he didn;t believe me still! Even after I read to him the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference parts about *thrush being the #1 side effect that happens in so many cases.* [This, BTW, was a "Best Doctor" from the New York Magazine survey!)

#5 wanted to do surgery immediately. Only #6 saw that it was caused by allergies (which was as clear as a bell, AND which I had told ALL of them) and he really couldn't help me until an allergist did. He recommended a good one, and the neti pot.

ALSO, I put ESSENTIAL OILS, as noted above, in my shower. I put ~10 drops of each: Eucalyptus, mint; and a few drops of whatever "pretty" oil that I have on hand (Rose, Geranium, or, the best, Neroli, the scent just like 4711) on the tub mat way in the back, where I won't step on the oil and trip. Then I start the water, then ready myself to get in. By the time I'm in the smell is starting to get delicious, and throughout the shower, the hot water helps the essential oils permiate the air and my nose, sinuses, and lungs. It helps to open up eveything! As a bonus,my skin is moisturised and the bathroom smells heavenly for the rest of the day. Aaah!

Best wishes and God bless you

Donna Marchionni

in New York

I use Bayberry bark herb for my sinuses. Buy at a health food store and I just follow the directions.

Also, when I start to feel an infection I do these things too-

1. I change my clothes and wash my face and hands every time I come in from outdoors.

Yes, it does lead to a lot of laundry! But it really works for me.

When I wash my face, I also wash a little up my nostrils because the tiny hairs catch pollen.

Rinse well!

You can even try baby wipes, they are quicker.

I do this even if I go outside for five minutes.

2. Brush your hair really well when you come in from outdoors.

3. Stay inside on windy days and keep the windows rolled up on your car.

4. Keep the air conditioning in your car on 'recirculate' and don't air condition the air from the outside. In other words, don't use 'vent'.

5. Get lots of sleep

6. Eat lightly and stay away from any kind of meat and dairy and sugar. I'm not a fanatic, but even trying a little bit helps!

7. Drink one glass of lukewarm water with the juice of one whole fresh lemon in it every hour until you start to feel better. This will work.

8. I hate to be graphic! But keep your bowels moving! Even if you have to take a mild laxative, it's important to get the toxins out of your body fast. All that infection from your sinuses is going back into your body. I'm thinking that maybe that's why you vomit.

Movements are also important especially when you are detoxing as in the advice above. Get it out of there!

8. Wear all natural clothing against your body like cotton or silk, etc.

9. This works like a charm.

Get into the shower and let the water run as hot as you can stand it, for as long as you can stand it, right onto your sinuses on your face.

Then, using cold water do the same; run cold water as cold as you can stand it, for as long as you can stand it, over your sinuses.

Alternate back and forth for as long as you can. Alternating hot and cold constricts your sinuses so they dislodge the infection. Sounds gross. I know. It is gross. But it might help you!

9. Detox your skin by giving yourself a 'salt glow'.

Into the shower again and use a clean wash cloth NOT a loofah, get rid of your loofah since they carry so much bacteria.

Put salt and fresh lemon juice onto your washcloth and give yourself a good rub all over.

Our skin is the largest organ we have (I remember when I first heard that and it still amazes me) - this step is important especially in light of the detoxing process.

Lots of luck to you, sweetie.

Check out herb books and health food stores like Whole Foods Market in your area. Bayberry bark works for me, but there are so many out there. Just please remember this-herbs are medicine. Our ancestors used herbs before we had conventional medicine. Did you know that aspirin was derived from white willow bark herb? Did you know that digitalis came from foxglove? Too cool!

God bless you!

Please don't use Lobelia - it is considered to be dangerous and poisonous.

Last week I had my 3rd or 4th attack of "severe headache" in the past year. After doing a CAT scan, the doctor detected it was sinusoitis & just asked me to use a steam inhaler 3-4 times a day. Believe me, the cure was magical. With the first inhalation, I already was feeling better. He didnt prescribe any meditation.

Try it out. It is cheap & has no side effects ;-) All the best!

June 10, 2013 Flag

I suffered from acid reflux which partially damaged my esophagus since then I have suffered from post nasal drip and sinus pressure and headaches. I am limited to taking different sinus medicines because of high blood pressure.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 31, 2010 Flag

I sometimes get killer sinus headaches and I can deal with them in these ways. I use saline solution - or you could snuffle salt water - up my nose to my sinuses.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 6, 2013
Woman using nasal spray.
Using Nasal Spray
Relieving Sinus Pressure
Relieving Sinus Pressure
Yahoo Mail
Troubleshooting Problems with Yahoo Mail
Starting a Lawnmower
Lawn Mower Won't Stay Running