Home Remedies for Sjogren's Syndrome

woman covering her mouth
An uncomfortable glandular disorder that causes dryness of the mouth and eyes, and can be quite embarrassing. This is a guide about home remedies for Sjogren's syndrome.

Does anyone have any new advice on dry mouth and very chapped lips. I have Sjogren's syndrome and I can deal with the dry mouth. However the last few months the corners of my mouth gather this white stuff, and it is very embarrassing when talking to people. I don't have any cracks or sores or blisters, just the white stuff and it is ugly. Balms don't work and when I put lipstick on it is even worse. It gets worse when I talk continuously (i.e. in a business meeting or presentation). What can I do?

Sue from Atlanta, GA

My mom is undergoing chemotherapy, which can cause dry mouth. I was reading some literature in the chemo room. It said dry mouth can lead to fungus infections(because saliva has powerful compounds that fight all kinds of infections). It said the main symptom of a fungus infection(I think it was called thrush) is a white substance forming at the corners of the mouth. It said you need to see a dentist to treat this. I hope this helps, you sound so miserable. Good luck and God Bless.

Forgot to mention, the chemo room was giving out little sample kits from a company called biotene: toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.... These products are supposed to restore the missing enzymes and so on caused by dry mouth. Why don't you check it out? Maybe it will give you some relief. Here's the web: www.biotene.com

thanks so much for the feedback. I am already using Biotene but it does not seem to help so far. Next visit is to the dentist! Thanks so much for your input :-)

Hello, I'm a dental hygienist who has worked with three advanced Sjogren's cases. You have a yeast infection in the skin at the corners of your mouth. No kidding! It's actually totally common in anyone with more moisture at that site. Using lip balms will seal in the yeast, so don't apply anything there but a good antifungal cream. You can get it OTC here in WA, any product for fungal things, including vaginal or foot care or jock itch products. Keep applying the medicine twice daily for ten full days. Periodically it will come back because of your reduced defenses and the moisture at that site, so keep the cream on hand. One reason for too much folding of the skin there can be dentures overdue for reline or replace, which have worn down allowing collapse of the face's vertical dimension. God bless you and I hope you achieve remission and healthy lips! Who needs to look any more frowny than we already do, right?