Home Remedies for a Stye

Category Home Remedies
An infection of the eyelid that can be caused by a clogged oil duct. This guide is about home remedies for a stye.

What works for me to reduce a stye is to apply a heat compress directly to the eye. Using a clean face cloth, wet with water. Squeeze out the excess and place the face cloth on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 20 seconds, or until wash cloth is warm.

Before applying the cloth directly onto your swollen eye, check the cloth's temperate against your palm to see if the temperate is okay. Place warm face cloth against your eye until the cloth cooled down and repeat for 5-10 minutes, until your eye feels better. Repeat the process once a couple of hours.

I had a really bad sty on the under portion of my eye. I did an internet search that said you needed to go to a doctor. for antibiotics. I found that by using my Neosporin (it has antibiotics in it) it healed up the sty in 3-5 days. I found relief from hot washcloths but this is the only thing that actually cured it.

By Karen from Fort Wayne, IN

You were lucky not to get another inury from the neosporin. It is not meant for opthalmic use. Not such a great idea!

My neighbors youngest son had a sty on his eye lid. A sty is a plugged-up oil gland or sweat pore on your eyelid. I remember what a doctor once recommended for my son and told them about it.

Place a compress, simply a clean cloth soaked in hot water. (Be careful and make sure it isn't too hot.) Place it over the sty and leave it there for about 10 minutes. Do this 4 or 5 times a day. This should open the blocked gland. If it doesn't recede after 3 or 4 days, you should go see your eyecare doctor. This method worked for the youngster.

The way to prevention is good old soap and water. This will reduce chances of developing a sty.

By Gladys H.

Sorry...I don't like the 'invasiveness' of the sty that long. I just hold my eyelid that's infected while I take a matchbook cover (or credit/debit card) and scrape over the sty to release it. Of course you must be careful not to scratch the eyeball. Works every time for me.

Happy Holidays...

Mary McLuckie

How do you cure a stye?

Christopher from Houston, TX

My granny always rubbed her gold wedding ring over the stye, and it worked!!!

I, grew up with what they believed was a sty in my eye My family used about every thing to get rid of it, rubbing a gold wedding band over it, heat, every thing they could think of,

When I, was about 55, I decided I, HAD ENOUGH went to eye doctor, in return he sent me to a eye specialst . I, had to have tear duct surgery, as my tear duct was clogged It was done in her office, that took a few trips, did not miss any work, Am not sorry that I had it done , and have had no problems with it at all, I , am now 66 very happy that it was done check it out it might be clogged tear ducts It is not painful,

My daughter used to have stye's quite frequently. Finally, the doctor said to put a hot washcloth on her stye/eye and leave it there for 5 min. Repeat throughout the day. It was gone the next morning. My husband's theory is to 'rub the heck out of it.' Either way, they neither one have them any more.

Years ago I had one and a relative told me to go to the pharmacy and get a eye cup and use warm salt water 3-4 times a day. The stye went away quickly I must admit.

I use breastmilk, since I have plenty! Or colloidal silver.

I grew up in Washington and i was raised to use a warm tea bag. Its worked for my mother and her mother and me and my family its a wonderful way to cure a stye! works everytime.

I have a hot tea bag on my eye as we speak, once it brings it to a head (which it's doing) how do I get it to break open?

I always use a hot wet wash cloth. Works every time but may take a few days to clear up. Also when the cloth gets cold, pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds and apply again.

What is the best way to get rid of a painful swollen stye in one's eye?

Paula from Mebane, NC

Hello Paula,

Old Wives Remedy... and it really works!!

Warm Salt Water... I heat a cup of water in the microwave and add about 1 Tlbs of table salt. Stir and dip the corner of a clean white wash rag in the solution. With eyes closed wipe from the corner of your eye to the outside, rinse and repeat. The salt dries the mucus. It doesn't burn your eye so don't worry :)

To keep from spreading the germs, wash your hands frequently and don't forget to wash all door handles in your house. Keep hands away from face!

I just warm up a wet face cloth (put in mic for 10 seconds or so) and hold it up to the eye. The heat allows the mucus to excape. I usually do this for 10 mins, 3 or 4 times a day.

Our family has always used a warm tea bag. Just heat up a cup of water and place the tea bag in it. Then use the moist tea bag on your eye. It doen't hurt and usually it's better the next day. This has come down through the generations in our family and it works.

OK IM GOING TO USE THE SALT WATER THING MY EYE HAS BEEN SWOLLEN WITH A STYE FOR LIKE ALMOST A WEEK AND IT HURTS AND IF THIS DOESNT WORK THEN ILL TRY ANOTHER ONE!!

I've had my stye for about 1-2 months now. It's abnormally big and won't go away. I have tried the wet face cloth, the teabag, and soaking a cotton pad in hot water. Nothing seems to work. I will try the salt thing though.

Editor's Note: Any stye that has been there for that long should be seen by a doctor. Please get it checked.

I get a lot of sties very often. When I get them they get huge and wont go away. They are painful and nothing seems to work. What do I need to do to prevent them and get rid of them?

What's the fastest way to get rid of a sty?

i get sties a lot and i am worried about it because I plan on getting contacts in a few weeks. Is this a good idea or bad?