Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

My fingernails are very thin and tear easily. What can I do to strengthen or thicken them?

By Jack from Chambersburg, PA

Answers:

Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

This is not a home remedy, but I swear by TIPS for nails sold at QVC. It is an oil you apply once or twice a day to your nails. Mine used to be thin and would tear, but they are long and strong now. You might want to give it a try. Others whom I have told about it also rave about how it improved their nails. (12/30/2009)

By kayray

Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

Taking Biotin supplements is supposed to help strengthen nails. I've heard that applying white iodine to the nails makes them stronger, but I've never been able to locate white iodine. (12/30/2009)

By OliveOyl

Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

White iodine aka as colorless iodine fixed my fingernails. I read about it in a Heloise Hints column. She suggested using if once a day for a week and then no more than once a week. It has worked miracles on my nails. They used to be soft and would peel off in layers like nail polish. I bought my original bottle of white (colorless) iodine off the Internet, but now order it from Sam's Club pharmacy. It cost $3.73 for my last purchase. I would imagine it could now be ordered at any pharmacy.

I also quit filing my nails and now use only clippers. Both my mother and sister had great nails that were like iron. Neither of them could tolerate using emery boards or nail files. It finally dawned on me that it might also help my nails if I only used clippers. Between the white iodine and clippers only, I now have great fingernails! (12/30/2009)

By Kathryen

Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

You can also get gelatin capsules from Knox, the people who make the gelatin for soups and gelatin drinks. The powder is horrible, but the pills go down smooth and it really does help. Good luck! Try a Google search.

(01/01/2010)

By Poor But Proud

Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

Take Biotin as suggested above and massage fingernails with olive oil daily. Get an empty nail polish bottle, clean it in boiling water, fill with olive oil and put in handbag, this way your nails will always be moisturized and grow strong. (01/11/2010)

By ameljor