Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Families

I am a single mother with an adult daughter living with me. My only income is Social Security Disability and I also have lots of debt I'm trying to pay off. I was just told that many of the tiles and underlying sheetrock in my shower need to be ripped out and replaced (the building I live in is very old--it's an apartment building that was turned into condos; the original tiles are in the bathroom).

I cannot afford to pay for this, but it needs to be redone as soon as possible; water has accumulated behind the tiles and it has caused a leak to the unit below mine. My neighbor has a huge hole in her bathroom ceiling because of it. How can I get this work completed without having to pay a huge amount up front (or at all)?

You may qualify for a grant, which doesn't have to be paid back. HUD (www.hud.org) offers these.

You can also qualify for a loan. I read this online:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has what it calls the Very Low-Income Housing Repair program, which provides loans and grants to homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes. The department also offers the Rural Housing Repair and Rehabilitation Grant, which is available to homeowners 62 and older; funds may be used for repairs to improve health, safety or make the home accessible for a resident with disabilities.

As you can imagine, the best way to find out about these grants is to search online and see what you come up with, or talk to someone in your community who might be in the know at a local housing nonprofit, the chamber of commerce, your bank or your local Department of Housing and Urban Development office. People at the HUD offices may be able to direct you to an agency or nonprofit that can help  or they may be able to help you get a community development block grant, money that goes toward everything from affordable housing to home repairs.

SENIORS-National Council On Aging (NCOA)

US Administration on Aging 800.677.1116 www.eldercare.gov-financial, employment, legal & caregiving help

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.

Benefit Types:

Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.

Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.

Benefits Enrollment Center

It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

Also:

SENIOR REPAIRS

You can try this agency for possible help-scroll down to your state for the correct agency.

http://www.elde  te-resources.htm

*

Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousJanuary 11, 2017
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
A repair man fixing a leaky roof.
Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families
Minnesota
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 3:16:17 AM on 10.0.0.119 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.