Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to, to get help with fixing my home? I live in a three bedroom 1 .5 bath trailer, with my husband, our daughter, and our animals. We moved in here a few years ago and since doing so our home has been falling out from under us, literally.

Our floors are made of particle board and the gentleman we bought the home from said there were some problem spots, but he assured us he would get them fixed before selling us the trailer, but he did not. Shortly after moving in, our central heating/air system stopped working, and being as we are a low income family we suffered through the summer heat with only fans, and then suffered through winter cold with only blankets for warmth. Please we need help before any of us get seriously injured. We have no money to get it fixed as all of our money goes to bills, food for our animals, and essentials.

The provided pictures show a huge hole in our bathroom, and then where we are walking on nothing but beams and carpet in the bedroom where my family sleeps, and also partial imaging of what's going on under my daughter's bed.

Best Answer

There are organizations that do these repairs for low income elderly people. Contact your power company, your state and federal government have programs too. They did a lot of repairs for me. Also, check with the elder agencies.

I don't want to sound uncaring, but you may have to get rid of your pets if you can't financially make ends meet. You had mentioned that you're low income. The mobile home looks unrepairable. I suggest that you contact Social Services and make an appointment with them. You should look into Section 8 housing and get out of that mobile home before the winter months. There are some very nice apartments that are covered under Section 8.

I agree this may be beyond repair.

I would warn anyone in the future reading this that you should never purchase a home without an inspection. You need to know everything that may be wrong with it.

If the owner promises to fix it, you need to make that a condition of the purchase in the contract. List what specific repairs are to be done and it must be signed. That way you have legal recourse if he or she fails to make those repairs.

In this case it is too late, but it certainly illustrates what could happen. When it comes to a major purchase like a home, taking someone's word on it is not a good idea.

I also agree with other responders - your mobile home looks and "sounds" like it is beyond repair or would cost more money than it will ever be worth to repair.

There are alternatives to safe housing so please look into getting help from your local Social Services.

You do not give any reasons as to why you a "low income" family but I assume you are already receiving food assistance and Medicade for health and maybe money assistance as well so go to these providers and ask about housing assistance.

There may be a waiting list but your turn will come - but - you will have to qualify.

I do not believe you will find anyone willing to help you with repairs to your present living arrangements.

Older Mobile homes are prone to deterioration and require constant upkeep which - it appears - was never done.

It would probably be better to seek another alternative than seeking help with repairs.

Aside from buying a poor condition trailer, you could learn how to become a DIY and search online and in books at the library. You can get all kinds of fixer upper tips from professionals on forums and even This Old House program is online that shows you how to do stuff. Check out yard sales, auctions and craigslist for almost anything you need to make the repairs and can sometimes get for little to nothing. Just make sure you get enough material to do the whole job in a room. All it will require then is the know how and you get that by learning how to do it. I would not however undertake anything as serious as electric and water lines; hire that done. BUT, you can make it livable and take a room at a time and live in the remainder until that room is finished. It's overwhelming to you now as there's much to do, but in time you are reaching your goal and you feel good about accomplishments made by your own hands and those of your family members. You can also buy remnant carpet or linoleum that's large enough to cover a bedroom floor.

You could put an add out requesting a favor for a favor to get the right help you need and nobody has to pay labor costs except for the supplies. Post on laundromat bulletin boards and businesses in town asking for assistance and get it out there free.

I'd even talk to construction workers who build homes and see if you can get any of their good used material you need, that is cheap/free to repair your trailer.

I agree that you can learn to be a real DIYer. Lots of people have learned to make home repairs and taken on renovations.

However, if that is mold I'm seeing in those pictures, it is not safe to live in, even temporarily. And it does look like part of the floor has rotted and caved. If that is the case, it is not safe to stand on.

Only the homeowner really knows whether the home is livable even in the short term.