Homemade Almond Extract

I'm currently making my first batch of homemade vanilla extract using 1 3/4 c white rum (is that bad to use white instead of dark?), 1/4 c distilled water and 6 sliced bourbon vanilla beans to sit for 8 weeks, shaken once a day. I hope it works out, but now I'm wondering about making my own almond extract. I know I have to make it with an alcohol base and edible almond oil, but I don't know exactly how or where to get edible almond oil (I read that bitter almond oil has a better, stronger flavor for cooking). Any help there?

Char from Idaho

Homemade Almond Extract

For the vanilla extract. Try using vodka instead of rum. The flavor is much better. (09/14/2007)

By Shell

Homemade Almond Extract

You can get sweet almond extract at the following link:

As far as vanilla extract, I've been making it for many years trying different ways, different liquors. As long as your using liquor you're safe, lol. But what I've found to be the best is to use half vodka and half single barrel malt whiskey, use a mix of bourbon and madagascar beans. I personally use stolichnaya vodka and jack daniels single barrel malt whiskey. This half and half mixture gives a robust flavor to your vanilla. I would love to swap ideas anytime. Please feel free to email me. (03/21/2008)

By scott_keys66 AT yahoo.com

Homemade Almond Extract

I am interested in making the homemade almond extract too. Do you mind sharing the recipe? Thanks. (11/05/2008)

By Frye

Homemade Almond Extract
bowl of shredded coconut
Making Almond Joy Bars
Homemade vanilla extract in a glass bottle.
Making Vanilla Extract
Making Homemade Almond Extract
Substitution for Almond Extract