Homemade Bird Toys

Homemade Bird Toys

Anyone know where to find a pattern for bird toys or a bird happy hut?

Dawna from Boone, NC

Answers:

Homemade Bird Toys

I made some bird toys with large wooden beads and bells and twine. My bird loves them! (01/13/2009)

By Karen

Homemade Bird Toys

Can you tell how you made them? Do you know where you found the directions? (01/14/2009)

By Marcia S

Homemade Bird Toys

Hi Marcia, I have never had birds and wouldn't know the first thing about making toys for them, so sorry in advance if this advice isn't practical.

Is that picture above an example of what the Happy Hut looks like? If so, to me it looks just like one of those natural loofahs you can buy at the store. Like those round, hollow ones (not the mesh ones). I suppose you could find one of those at a dollar store or for a few dollars at Walmart. I'm not sure if that would be ok for birds...but those loofahs are natural sea sponges. Anyway, the top you could attach to the cage with carabiners (that's what they look like in the picture). That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this picture. Good luck! (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Homemade Bird Toys

Oh, you know what else I thought of as I looked at this picture? It looks like one of those car washing mitts. I bet you could get one of those and cut off the edges so it's accessible from both ends. I'm not sure if that would work or how frugally you could get one, but I thought I'd mention in case. (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Homemade Bird Toys

• Fleece. It's the safest fabric for birds and wont catch toes as easily as other fabric.
  • cardboard for the bottom to be sturdy.
  • hot glue gun *use outside
  • stainless steel or nickle plated toy hangers (zinc is TOXIC)

If you don't have toy hangers use Sisal or Hemp to hang it.

Resouce: birdboard.com DIY section

(01/28/2009)

By Guest

Homemade Bird Toys

We make all of our own toys as we have approximately 100 birds. One easy toy is wooden spoons. You can find them at a dollar store. Make a hole in the handle and hang in the cage. (02/12/2009)

By Diane: Lazicki's Bird House and Rescue

Homemade Bird Toys

My green cheek conure loves to play with the hard plastic caps that come on soda bottles. They are made of very durable plastic and come in a wide variety of colors. They make great foot toys that he enjoys picking up, banging, and tossing to the ground. I even hide treats in them from time to time. My husband drilled a hole through 3 different colored caps and attached them to the cage with a zip tie so that hangs. Despite all of the pricey bird toys that I have purchased for him, this is what he plays with the most. (02/13/2009)

By Anita