Homemade Bread Recipes

Category Wheat
Homemade Bread
Having nutritious, freshly baked bread at home is wonderful. This page contains homemade bread recipes.

This is such a great easy recipe and a good one for folks who are just now getting started making their own bread. With a minimum of ingredients, this bread turns out to be almost as good as the artisan type breads that have become so popular.

Directions:

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast; mix well. Add warm water and oil; mix well. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough 10 minutes or until smooth.

Place dough in lightly greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) for 30 to 40 minutes.

Sprinkle ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal. Punch down dough. Shape dough into baguette-shaped loaf about 12 inches long. Place dough on cornmeal-coated cookie sheet.

Cover; let rise in warm place for 35 to 40 minutes or until doubled in size.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. With sharp knife, make 1 deep lengthwise slash in top of loaf. Brush loaf with egg white. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.

Servings: 8-10
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
25-35 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: This is a Pillsbury Classic Recipe and was taken from the back of a 5# bag of flour.

By pookarina

Making everyday fresh bread

Directions:

Mix the yeast with the water add oil. Mix all the dry ingredients add the yeast mix and mix together. Let double the dough and mix again let rise again. Divide the dough in two.

Put a little oil on a baking tray and put the dough on the baking tray in opposite sides so they wont touch each other.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and bake until golden brown. It is done when you take out the bread and turn to opposite side and you knock on the bottom, you hear a hollow noise.

The bread is ready. Enjoy!

By Dana from Palo Alto, CA

This is a delicious honey wheat bread that tastes excellent topped with apple butter or dipped in soup.

Directions:

Dissolve yeast in water and add honey. Mix well.

Stir in whole wheat flour, salt, vegetable oil, and butter. Mix until a stiff dough has formed. Gradually work the all-purpose flour into the mix, 1/2 cup at a time.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead for 15 minutes or until dough is elastic.

Shape into a ball and place into an oiled bowl on top of the oven with a warm damp washcloth on top. Allow the dough to rise rise until it has doubled in size, about 45 minutes.

Place dough in greased 9x4 inch loaf pan. Punch down so fitted to bowl. Place back on top of the oven and place warm moist cloth over it. Allow to rise 1-2 inches above edge of pan, about an hour and a half.

Bake at 375 degrees F 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool in pan at least 15 minutes. Brush top with melted butter if desired.

Servings: 10
Time:3 Hours Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: About.com

By Silver from Cosby, TN

This page contains skillet bread recipes. Enjoy fresh pan bread baked in the oven or cooked on the stovetop.

Skillet Bread

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

In large mixing bowl:

Ingredients

Directions

Let rise. Add 4 cups warm water in large bowl. Stir. Add enough flour to make soft spongy dough. Cover. Let rise until it falls (about 1 hour). It is ready to use.

For a Sweet Bread:

To the sponge mixture add and beat well:

Ingredients

Directions

Add enough flour to make good elastic dough. Cover. Let rise once to double bulk. Punch down. Let rise again, shape into dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, or coffee cakes. Let rise in well greased pans. Bake 30 minutes in 350 degree F oven.

For White Bread:

Use very large mixing bowl. To sponge add 5-7 cup warm water depending upon how many loaves of bread you want. Add:

Ingredients

Directions

Stir well. Add enough flour to make good elastic dough. This recipe is quite large and needs a very large mixing bowl. Cover dough and let rise once. Push down and let rise again. Shape into loaves. Put into well greased 9x5 inch bread pans. Let double in size and bake 10 minutes at 425 degrees F and 35-40 minutes at 325 degrees F.

By Robin from Washington, IA

This honey wheat bread recipe is delicious, fluffy and moist. Make your own bread at home with great results with this recipe.

Honey Wheat Bread

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide contains artisan country bread recipes. There is nothing as satisfying as freshly baked homemade bread, still warm from the oven.

Artisan Country Bread

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Enjoy the wonderful flavor of this homemade wheat bread with your next meal.

I want to start making my own bread. Does anyone want to share their recipe?

By barrsbits from Council, NC

I've got a better idea: go to the Fleischman's site. They have enough recipes to keep you going for a long time starting with plain good old fashioned plain bread with excellent instructions. Good for you for wanting to do this. I can guarantee that you will save money, have a great smelling home, a way to rid your body of tension, a happy family and a great sense of achievement. :)

There are many of my family & friends who bake their own bread. I have found that each person has to find their own unique recipe. We all have tried each other's recipes and have adapted what works best for us. I will post my recipe in another feedback.

My Recipe for White bread

2 cups warm water

2/3 cups sugar

1 1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast

Dissolve the sugar in a bowl of the water, then stir in the yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

1 1/2 tsp.s salt

1/4 cup oil

6 cups flour

Mix in 1 cup flour, salt & oil. Add the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time. Either knead or mix until smooth dough has formed. Place in a well oiled bowl & turn to coat dough. Cover & let rise until double.

Punch down dough. Knead for a few minutes, divide into 2 to 4 loaves (depending on size of pans). Place in well oiled pans. Allow to rise 30 minutes our until dough is just above the the pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 C) for 30 minutes.

For best results let the bread sit for 3-4 hours to "cure" before cutting or putting into bags.

Hello, and good for you!

Want to try making bread from a large quantity of dough which doesn't need kneading and can be kept in the frig for up to 2 weeks?

I've made bread many different ways: mixer with bread hooks, batter, bread machine, food processer, etc. But a new way that I have just tried is a lot of fun and you can get some of the recipes and basic instructions from this article: http://www.moth  nutes-A-Day.aspx or other articles online. The woman (a master baker) and man that came up with the method have a book out for 5 minute artisan bread.

The non-kneaded dough for multiple loaves can be kept in the frig for up to 2 weeks in a tall lidded plastic container. It makes wonderful french bread with a chewy crust even without the paddle, baking stone, or water they recommend. . I just form mine on a baking sheet. I am going to try the soft American-style white bread from their book I found at the library. Having the dough ready to form and raise is a time saver. The only thing you have to figure in is the rise time (1-1/2 hours) which I cut in half with a lightly heated over (100 degrees).

Hope this gives you a different approach that might help you out and be fun, too.

Another plus: you can use all purpose unbleached flour instead of bread flour which generally is cheaper.

You can get a lot of great bread recipes at the King Arthur Flour website (not to mention flour and other baking supplies!). Hope this helps.

ItalianSwede, I have been wanting to try that bread but just have not gotten around to it. I want that cookbook so bad. Tomorrow is my birthday, maybe someone will get it for me. I hope so......anybody? LOL, hey say it is the best and easiest bread you will ever make. I too have made bread many different ways. So far other than the artisan bread, I think the best way is to mix it in a bread maker on dough setting, take it out, shape it and let it raise again before baking in oven.

I forgot, ItalianSwede, I have another question for you. Looks like you might be of Italian descent so I wondered if you had any recipes that contain garlic in the dough, not the garlic on top. I would really like to know how to do this. Do you make a paste and incorporate it into the dough? I would appreciate a recipe if you have one.

I don't buy bread products at all since it's so much cheaper to make it at home. Here's my whole wheat bread recipe:

In a large bowl, combine and let cool to lukewarm:

2 T. salt

1/2 C. oil (butter gives a richer taste and texture, margarine is fine... oil is cheaper and works fine. I'd rather use oil over margarine in that case. Use what suits you.)

1/2 C. quick cooking oats

1/2 C. wheat bran

1/2 C. wheat germ

1/2 C. whole grain cereal (sunny boy or red river brands up here in Canada)

2 C. boiling water

In a separate small bowl combine:

1 C. warm water (108-112 degrees...baby bottle temp. )

1/2 tsp. sugar (stir until dissolved)

1 T. yeast

Let rise until doubled (5-10 minutes), stir and add to first mixture. Add two more cups of water to mixture (you need 5 cups total liquid), make sure mixture isn't too hot or too cold. Your yeast needs to survive to rise the bread.

Add whole wheat flour a few cups at a time to make a soft dough. Knead, gradually adding flour until no longer sticky.

Let rise in a large, lightly oiled bowl, covered with a moist tea-towel until doubled. (about 1 1/2 hours). On cold days I let the oven warm to about 100 or 110 degrees, turn it off and turn the oven light on and let the bread rise in there. Punch down, let rise again (about 1 hour). Punch down, divide in to four equal parts, shape in to four loaves, and place in 4 greased bread pans. Let rise for about an hour, bake in 375 oven for 40 minutes. Remove from pans on to cooling racks to cool.

You can skip the second rising if you're cramped for time. It still turns out fine, but the taste isn't quite as rich. Most bread recipes call for at least 2 T. sugar. I don't put sugar in except for 1/2 tsp to feed the yeast. I started omitting the sugar a few months ago and none of us noticed. Less is more! But if you're used to store-bought bread, you might want to start off by putting a bit of sugar in the home-made bread because store bought has so much sugar in it that going from all to nothing might be a bit of a taste shock. =) If you want a healthier sugar option, honey works well, too. You put the sugar in the first mixture along with the salt and fat.

Add 1/4 -1/2 C. molasses for a variation (also replaces sugar well.)

Wheat germ, wheat bran, whole grain cereal and oats are all optional. Add or omit any or all as you like it. I just like the added health benefit.

For a basic whole wheat bread with no "crunch", omit all and just add whole wheat flour.

For white bread, replace white flour for whole wheat (and don't add the cereals etc)

Hope this helps and doesn't look to complicated. Once you start doing it often enough, it become second nature and it's an easy process. Have fun!! Your family will love it!~Karen

Three hints: 1) When baking whole wheat bread, use 1 T gluten flour (avail at any grocery in little "health food" style bags) per 1 cup WW flour. That will help in the rising process. 2) for no-knead 1 rise WW bread, google "Doris Grant" and look for the grant loaf recipe. If you search you will find a recipe that is in US units, as Mrs. Grant was from England and most recipes are metric. 3) for best rise, heat the loaf pan(s) to warm (NOT HOT) so the yeast will continue to do its job.

Listen to Italian Swede. I bought the book and it is absolutely great. Now they have a new one out that is entitled "Healthy Homemade Bread in 5 minutes a Day. I want that one too! It contains recipes that have more whole wheat and rye flour in them.

Nobody believes how easy it is till they try it. I got two of my friends to buy the book and they both have had success with it. You can't go wrong......no kneading! They look like the olde world breads too, so appealing! Try it, you will love it! I found the cheapest place to buy the book is at Overstock.com.

I am looking for an easy bread recipe.

Stpat

Yield 8 servings

Ingredients

1/2 cup white sugar 4 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 teaspoon salt 3 cups raisins 1 tablespoon caraway seeds 2 eggs, lightly beaten 1 1/4 cups buttermilk 1 cup sour cream

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch round cast iron skillet or a 9 inch round baking or cake pan.

In a mixing bowl, combine flour (reserving 1 tablespoon), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins and caraway seeds. In a small bowl, blend eggs, buttermilk and sour cream. Stir the liquid mixture into flour mixture just until flour is moistened. Knead dough in bowl about 10 to 12 strokes. Dough will be sticky. Place the dough in the prepared skillet or pan and pat down. Cut a 4x3/4 inch deep slit in the top of the bread. Dust with reserved flour

Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 65 to 75 minutes. Let cool and turn bread onto a wire rack.

good luck.

If you want to email me I will share my bread recipes with you. winbergma AT hotmail.com I am not home for another few days but do make a lot of bread and would be glad to share with anyone. I have a wonder full french bread recipe just recently tried that I will post soon as I get home.

Anonymous

Cheddar and Chive Beer Bread

You can substitute the chives with basil, cilantro, or even minced onions as yummy variations ;-)

3 cups all purpose flour

1 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp baking powder

2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped, or 2 tsp dried

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated

12 oz. beer, room temperature

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, chives, and cheddar in a large mixing bowl. Slowly stir in beer and mix just until combined. Batter will be thick.

Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan and bake about 45 minutes. (Test after 40 minutes with a toothpick to be on the safe side)

Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool 10 more minutes before serving.

Go to youtube.com and type in "Artisan Bread in five minutes a day." You will find an amazing recipe. It is delicious, and uses regular unbleached flour, not expensive bread flour. I've been baking it for a few weeks and can't believe how easy it is. No kneading, no hard mixing. And tastes wonderful. There's a website too and lots of forums about it.

Bake about 425 degrees for 20 minutes

Makes 1- 2 dozen

Combine:

1 cup lukewarm water

1/3 cup melted shortening (butter)

1 T sugar

2 tsps salt

Add:

2 pkgs of dry yeast

pinch of ginger (ginger helps rolls rise better - gives no flavor)

Mix well.

Blend in:

1 egg

Add:

3 1/2 cups of sifted flour

Mix until dough is well blended and soft.

Roll out: on a well floured board and fit into a greased 12 X 18 pan

Cut: dough into 1 X 4 inch rectangles and brush with melted butter.

Let rise: in a warm place (80 to 85 degrees) until double in bulk about 30 minutes.

Bake:

In a hot oven for 20 minutes or until rolls rise and tops are lightly browned.

Good leftover for bread pudding or simply butter and toast.

In the recipe book that came with my 5 qt. mixer there's a recipe for whole wheat bread. The instructions say to add oil, but there is no oil in the list of ingredients, so I don't know how much. I love my mixer. I love the hands-free mixing.

Suzy

For a recipe using 3-4 cups of flour to make one loaf, I'd add 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil and see how you like the results.

And I agree with Olive Oyl and with a name like OliveOyl, she ought to know. Lol. I would at least use 2 T. for 3 cups flour.

Looking for a easy one loaf bread recipe for white and whole wheat flour.

By DJ

Crusty Bread

3 C all purpose flour

1 3/4 t salt

1/2 t yeast

1 1/2 C water

You will need a large cast iron pot with a lid.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours. Over night works well. Heat the oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reached 450 degrees, place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat it for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball.

Cover with plastic wrap and let set while pot heats. Remove pot from oven, drop in dough. Cover pot and return to oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove covr and bake 15 minutes more. Remove bread and put on cooling rack. Makes one large rustic loaf.

Does anyone have a recipe for whole wheat bread that uses yeast in the recipe. Loaf bread or roll recipes would be great! Thanks and God Bless you!

Debra from Hampton, TN

Answers:

Wheat Bread Recipe

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?s_type=%2Frecipes.phpandq=wheat+breadandSearch=SearchandSearcht=Search (02/21/2009)

By MCW

Wheat Bread Recipe

See "Joy of Cooking" Whole Wheat Bread Plus. (02/23/2009)

By Carol in Towson, MD

Wheat Bread Recipe

Whole Wheat Bread, Machine

• 1 TB rapid rise yeast
  • 2 1/2 cups white flour
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 TB sugar
  • 4 TB gluten
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water

Mix in dough cycle of bread machine or Kitchen Aid mixer, etc. Dump on to "bread board" to rest or proof a bit, then pan it. Bake at 350 degrees F. Bake buns 15 minutes or so.
Makes 2 dozen buns or 2 large loaves bread. (02/23/2009)

By TandT Grandma

Wheat Bread Recipe

This is the best whole wheat recipe that I have ever made using all whole wheat flour and believe me, I have made many over the years. I now make all my own bread because this recipe is so good. I mix it in bread machine, but bake it in my oven.

100% Whole Wheat Bread

• 1-1/3 cups lukewarm water
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup nonfat dried milk
  • 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2-1/4 tsps. instant yeast (or bread machine yeast)

Mix in order given if your bread machine tells you to put liquid ingredients in first. Then put it in bread machine on dough cycle. When it is done, take out and shape into loaf and bake for approximately 30 minutes at 375 degrees F or till when tapped, it sounds hollow. (02/24/2009)

By Elaine

NO-KNEAD Artisan Bread

• 3 C flour (white, whole wheat, rye, or any kind, or any mixture, will do)
  • 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (NOT instant)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 3/4 C water
  • oil for bowl
  • flour or cornmeal for countertop

Equipment:

• whisk or fork
  • wooden spoon (optional)
  • mixing bowl
  • "resting" bowl
  • plastic wrap
  • Dutch oven or any other pot with lid that can go in oven

Directions: Day 1

Mix dry ingredients together with whisk (or fork). Add water and mix with one hand (or a wooden spoon), just enough to moisten all the dry ingredients. Transfer from mixing bowl to oiled resting bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 12 to 24 hours.

Directions: Day 2

Preheat oven to 500 Fahrenheit degrees, with the lidded pot inside. Pyrex works best for this, but a cast-iron Dutch oven is great too. Don't do anything else for at least half an hour, while your oven heats.

Dump dough onto a "heavily" floured surface (floured with flour, wheat bran, cornmeal, or whatever you like). Use a whole cup of your flour/whatever, at least. Fold once or twice, but do not knead. Sprinkle the top with more flour.

Get a friend to help if possible. Open the oven, remove the pot lid and set it right by the pot, dump the dough into the pot, lid the pot, and close the oven. This should all be done as quickly as possible without hurting yourself. I speak from experience: do NOT forget your pot holders or oven mitts, not even in the interest of speed. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, if you've used white flour, 30 to 40 if you've used whole wheat flour.

Variations:

• use different flours
  • flour your board with oats, cornmeal, wheat bran, or something else besides flour
  • add a handful of caraway seeds, raisins and nuts, or some other seed/nut or fruit for flavor and texture
  • one of my favorites: Add 1 TBSP caraway, 1 TBSP honey, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, and the zest of 1 or 2 oranges

* Experiment, and tell us all about it. (02/24/2009)

By Chayil

Wheat Bread Recipe

One tip I would add to the preceding tips is, soak the whole wheat flour (freshly ground if possible) in an equal amount of plain yogurt for 8-12 hours before you mix the rest of the ingredients in. It softens the bran and makes the nutrients more accessible, plus making the bread more tender and moist. I got this idea and a million others from Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions." There is a restaurant in Ketchum, Idaho (next door to Sun Valley) that used to serve a similar loaf, with added whole apricot halves, almonds, and sometimes other fruit. I think they charged $20 a loaf, or something outrageous like that. It tasted perfect without the addition of butter or jam! (02/24/2009)

By coreenhart

For those who dread the job of making bread from scratch, start with a small batch. I do only 4 loaves at a time. It is easier to raise, when the quantity is smaller. I raise mine only 2 times, not 3. For 35 years now.

By Barb A. from Summerhill, PA

Answers:

Does anyone have a good recipe for wheat bread made in an oven, not a bread machine?

Doris from Reedsville, WI

Answers:

Wheat Bread Recipe

If you find the box mixes for bread machines on sale, they are very good and have the directions on them to make them by hand and bake in the oven. (02/07/2007)

By

Wheat Bread Recipe

This is from the Prepared Pantry website. I used this recipe at Thanksgiving, my family loved it.
100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Ingredients

• 5 to 6 cups fine-ground whole wheat flour
  • 1 seven gram packet of instant yeast (or two teaspoons)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons melted and slightly cooled butter

Directions

1. Place about three cups of the flour in the bowl of your stand-type mixer. Add the yeast. Carefully measure 2 cups, room temperature (80 degrees) water. The water should feel cool to the touch. Mix the water with the flour with a dough hook for 30 seconds or until the yeast is dissolved and the ingredients begin to combine.

2. Add the salt, egg, sugar, and butter and continue mixing. Add most of the remaining flour and continue mixing at a medium speed for at least four minutes adding more flour as needed to reach a soft dough consistency. (It is important that the dough be mixed for at least four minutes to develop the gluten.) The dough should clear the sides of the bowl but will be soft, not firm, to the touch.

3. Once the dough is mixed, place it in a large greased bowl, turning once to coat both sides, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or for up to three days.

4. On the day that you would like to bake your bread, remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it warm to room temperature--about three hours. The dough should rise to nearly double in size.

5. Once the dough has risen, form the loaves. Coat your hands with flour and gently form a loaf by pulling the dough around itself to create a slightly stretched skin. You may need to coat your hands several times if the dough is sticky. If necessary, pinch the seams together on the bottom of the loaf. Lay the loaf gently in a well-greased loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with the second loaf. Let double again in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once the dough has doubled (the loaf should be very puffy), place the two loaves on a shelf in the top half of the oven, well-spaced so that air can circulate between the loaves. Bake for thirty minutes or until done. The interior of the loaves should register at least 185 degrees when an insta-read thermometer is inserted through the bottom crust. Remove the bread from the pans and cool on wire racks. Let it cool completely before cutting.
(02/07/2007)

By micksgirl

Wheat Bread Recipe

• 1 cup very warm water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 pkg. yeast (sprinkle over water/sugar mixture)

Put these ingredients in a small bowl & let set 10 min. while mixing the following ingred.

In a large bowl:

• 3 cups whole wheat bread flour
  • 3 cups white bread flour
  • 1 Tablespoon salt (mix in flour before adding next ingredients)
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 1/2 cup warm water

The above water, sugar & yeast mixture: Mix all together by hand until thoroughly mixed. Wipe down sides of bowl with spatula. Spray top of dough with Pam & cover top of bowl w/ clean dish towel & allow to rise until doubled. (2-4 hrs)

Dump dough out on floured surface & knead about 2 min. Separate into 3 equal pieces. Shape into loaf shape & place into 3 Pam sprayed loaf pans. Cover with dish towel & let rise until doubled. Bake @ 350 degrees 20-25 min. Let cool in pans 5 min. before turning out onto wire cooling rack. Cool completely before wrapping or bagging. (04/01/2007)

By Mona

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.