Homemade Carpet Shampoo

How do you make homemade rug shampoo?

Patty from Upstate, NY

Answers:

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

Here's some ideas:

• baking soda and water
  • borax and water
  • vinegar and water
  • lemon kool aid and water (check for colorfastness, this is mostly ascorbic acid)
  • There was an Amway product called loc that was good if they still make it.
(09/28/2006)

By carla bledsoe

Don't Use Soap and Water

Ditto on not using soap in the water. Our carpet has been down for more than 20 years and still looks good. We raised three sons, one dog and 3-4 cats over those years. Plus, there were always lots of teens here after band functions. When we get ready to clean (only every few years). Here's what we do. Vacuum well. Get some 409 or Awesome (highly diluted) or Simple Green. Work about a 3-foot square area at a time. Spray a little of the solution on the space; use a stiff broom or rent a small rotary scrubber and lightly scrub the area. Rinse with the steam cleaner, USING ONLY HOT WATER. Our carpets come so clean and we only have to repeat every few years. (09/28/2006)

By Carolyn

Vinegar and Downy

I use white vinegar and Downy. Works great for me (09/28/2006)

By jodee433

Febreeze and Pets

To the person who warned against using Fabreeze if you have pets, it's an urban myth. More about it here:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp (09/29/2006)

By Meari

Baby Wipes

For fresh stains I find the best thing to use is baby wipes. Huggies is awesome, but any brand is good as long as they are unscented. It will remove any stain and also set in stains too on carpets and clothes. (09/30/2006)

By Debbie

Try Cheap Shaving Cream

Cheap shaving cream makes an easy carpet shampoo. Vacuum the carpet well before applying. Work on one 3' x 3' area at a time. Squirt some shaving cream on the carpet. Spread it around and work it gently into the carpet with a damp sponge mop. Rinse the mop & wring it out for each section. Allow to dry overnight. Vacuum thoroughly again in the morning. (09/30/2006)

By Amanda

Water and Pine-sol

I have used mean green with water and pine-sol with water and both of them have worked awesome. (09/30/2006)

By GingerOverstreet

Vinegar

Vinegar is my savior for everything. I just used it to shampoo my whole house. I mixed 1 cup in the hot water. You don't have to use just vinegar. It works fine when it is diluted. (01/20/2007)

By Gabriella

Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Pouring Shampoo
Uses for Shampoo
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
A dog after a bath.
Homemade Dog Shampoo Recipes
🎄