Homemade Cat Scratching Tower or Post

Is there any other way of building a homemade cat scratching tower/post?

By Sharon W

Best Answer

I built one for my cat. Actually 3 cats ago. Anyway, the one I built is a simple 3 shelf unit with corner posts. Each shelf is covered with stick on carpet pieces, and each post is covered tightly with sisal rope. Putting the rope on was the hardest part of the job, as it needs to be pulled and wound as tightly as you can get it, and then some more. I wore thick work gloves for this part because otherwise the rope will leave your hands bleeding.

You can fashion the tower in any style you want. If you google "cat scratching posts" you will find a lot of different ideas. You could even fashion a post against a wall and alternate the shelves on one side and the other all the way almost to the ceiling. Cats do love to be up high!

The main thing is to make each shelf large enough for the cat to lay down on comfortably. And to position the shelves to that the cat can jump easily from one to the other. Covering the shelves with a fairly rough type of carpeting will provide a surface to be kneaded on. And covering the pole with sisal rope is important to give the cat the scratching post that all cats need, whether they've been declawed or not.

Good luck with yours!

This comes from a guy who runs a cat furniture company: I've made & sold literally tens of thousands of cat scratching posts and cat trees (right here in the USA, by the way). As you can imagine, my own two cats have been very instrumental in helping me develop my skills. You can find a lot of useful tips on this topic - DIY scratching posts - if you just do a search on "Tips from a Cat Man" or "flerper eBay". I've been here at this important forum over the years, and appreciate the service it does for those who need to economize. I hope you will find my articles useful for saving a little money on this essential cat gear!

I really don't have room for a regular cat condo so what I did was take a 8in x 6ft cedar tree trunk cut locally by the county right a way clearing crew , trimmed the limbs so there are only a few about 8 in long, left the bark on and sprayed it lightly with varnish to contain some of the shedding. screwed it to a piece of plywood base and drillled a hole in the top to contain the spring pole mechanism from an old floor to ceiling lamp to stabilize it, and set it up in the corner by a window. My cats love scratching and climbing their tree or sitting on a branch looking out the window.

Get some empty carpet rolls from a carpet store along with carpet scraps. You can probably get all this from their dumpster. Just say "it's for the birds." That way you can build cat scratching posts, bird houses, etc.

My cat loved a piece of chipboard on the floor about the size of her body. I'd stand it up and she'd knock it over then put her body on it to keep it from moving. It was a leftover piece and she chose it.