Browsing: Homemade Cat Urine Cleaner Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Cat Urine Cleaner Recipes

When your kitty has an accident you can make a homemade cleaner for removing the urine odor. This is a guide about homemade cat urine cleaner recipes.

orange house cat
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 21, 2010 Flag

I heard this on Martha Stewart and thought it was worth passing on to all cat lovers. Vinegar destroys cat odors. The enzymes in vinegar breaks down the cat urine. It works really well. I put approximately 1/4 cup vinegar in a spray bottle. Where ever I think they sprayed, I mist it. Vinegar smell dissipates quickly, and no more cat smell! I have used both white and cider vinegar.

Put vinegar in laundry to do the same thing. Sweetens smelly cloths with stubborn odors (e.g., body odor, pet smells, socks) and you can spray tennis shoes and dry in the sun, for foot odors or athletes foot fungus. Keep vinegar in the cupboard at all times. It's a life saver.

Source: Martha Stewart

By Flintmoonwitch from Flint, MI

Editor's Note: Be sure to test a small area first before using new cleaning recipes to avoid unexpected results.

November 15, 2012 Flag

I am stymied by all the requests for "help" in eradicating cat urine stains and their "aroma". As any loyal ThriftyFun reader should know by the number of times this solution has appeared, the "only" that works is straight white vinegar in a spray bottle!

I've had occasion to use this many times and, believe me, it is the only thing that works. Spray the vinegar directly on the "fragranced" surface, let sit about 5 minutes, blot with a clean towel and problem solved! Here is the culprit in my home which also has seven other cats who do all their business in their litter boxes.

By Joyce from Gulfport, FL

June 29, 2006 Flag

I sure could use a homemade urine-be-gone. I have got to say how very pleased I am that this site is on the computer, I go here all the time and find the answers I am looking for.

Thanks so very much.

Jamish from Ranson, KS

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for all your help. This is a great site. Wish I found you when I had rugs. Now I have wood floors and I need to keep them really clean. Thanks again. I hope this works need to clean up where my kitty goes. She is older and diabetic.

Tried hydroogen peroxide, soap & water mix last night but blotted area with towel. Could still smell cat urine this morning! Company due tonight for the weekend! Aargh

In response to mygaley, never use ammonia. Urine in loaded with ammonia and if you use a cleaner with ammonia in it the animals tend to go again in the spot again to cover it up. It just becomes a never ending cycle.

Would this work on clothes??

Read More Answers...

November 17, 2010 Flag

A while back I tried to adopt a male Siamese cat. He was a very friendly cat, but ended up with a nasty habit. He would not potty in the litter box. I caught him urinating all over the house.

January 16, 2012 Flag

How do I make a homemade cleaning product to get rid of cat urine?

By Athina

I own a 'green' cleaning company and have found that the absolute best thing for removing any type of urine or poo odor and stain is Dr Bronner's Castille Soap. I prefer the liquid over the bar and it really doesn't take much.

If it's on a carpet:

Blot up what you can, then spray a strong mixture of the soap and water (about 2 tablespoons to a regular size squirt bottle of water) onto the spot, cover with some clean, white cotton rags (old T-shirts without lycra are the best) and leave sit for at least 1 hour. Blot up as much as possible again, then rinse lightly with hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle (works great for mirrors and windows too). Blot again and then leave to dry. once dry, vaccuum to bring the carpet pile back up.

If it's on a hard surface, just wash with the soap/water mix and wipe dry.

This soap comes in several scents (Lavender also repels fleas) and is extremely mild. you can even use it to bathe the pets and yourself. The reason it works so well is that as a soap and not a detergent, it disolves the dirt. I've even gotten black shoe polish out of a white shag carpet with this and red lipstick out of white shorts. So far there is nothing that I've found that it doesn't clean safely.

I mix 1/4 cup of baking soda, 16 oz. of hydrogen peroxide and a couple drops of a mild dishwashing soap. (I found this on the internet. It is called The Recipe.) After blotting up the excess urine, I saturate the urine spot with the recipe. If the spot is bigger or if one application doesn't work, I mix up more and apply. Then I let this dry and vacuum it up. This mixture, due to the hydrogen peroxide, lifts the urine odor out of the carpet or fabric so that the cat will not mark this area again.

Humans might not smell Cat Urine, but cats can smell it. If the fabric and or carpet is thick, the thickness will cause the urine spot to spread out. It, then, might need more applications or a wider application area.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsFebruary 12, 2013
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:35:06 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.