Homemade Chocolate

Category Candies
Handmade Chocolate Bars with dried fruit.
Satisfy your chocolate craving, not with a candy bar from the market, but with a delicious piece of homemade chocolate. This is a guide about homemade chocolate.

Does any one have the recipe for homemade chocolate? I had it years ago and it's lost. It contains powdered milk, icing sugar (perhaps called powdered sugar in the USA), cocoa, and solid shortening (called 'Copha' here). You can also add coconut. Those are ingredients, but the proportions I've quite forgotten! Obviously its not as smooth as commercial chocolate, but it tastes good, is fairly economical, and satisfies that "Must have chocolate" urge.

Thank you,
Ellie from Melbourne Australia

Answers

Thank you for your responses so far, but No.. I don't mean a drink, hot chocolate mix, I mean it's block chocolate. After you mix it and smooth it into a square tin, or whatever you are using, you put it into the refrigerator and sets solidly into a block of 'chocolate'.

Elliecat.

Possibly you are looking for what we call "fudge". Some recipes use cocoa to make it, others use chocolate chips. Most on-line cookbooks have some version of it. I'd almost bet that if you check Thriftyfun's archives under recipes.....and then perhaps candy..... you'll find a recipe right here! If you can't find one I'll dig mine out for you. Best Wishes!

Hi Ellie!! I got this recipe off of a site called Discuss Cooking. I hope it's the one you're looking for.

TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHOCOLATE:

125g copha

125g pure icing sugar

6 tablespoons cocoa

4 tablespoons full cream powdered milk

pinch salt

Sift icing sugar, cocoa, powdered milk and salt into a basin. Melt copha over gentle heat, add to dry ingredients. Mix until smooth and thick. Pour into square cake tin to set, then cut into squares. Mixture may be doubled, and dried fruit, nuts, coconut or rice bubbles can be added for variety.

This was posted on the other site by Daisy http://www.disc  67.html#post4541

Thank you everyone, especially Luvyabye.. that's the one that I was looking for!

Ellie

how did the question of wanting to know how to make ''Homemade Chocolate'' turn into how to make ''Hot coco drink ? But thank you to luvyabye for the recipe ...

by Luvyabye

TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHOCOLATE:

125g copha

125g pure icing sugar

6 tablespoons cocoa

4 tablespoons full cream powdered milk

pinch salt

Does anyone know of an alternative to copha? We have a child that is allergic to coconut as well as corn, soy, rice? Since I'm fairly new to the kitchen what is pure icing sugar and where do I find it?

Thanks.

I think there was a mix up of people thinking I wanted a hot choclate drink recipe, when what I really wanted was the block chocolate recipe posted by Luvabye. I'm not sure what would be an alternative to copha. We get two grades of icing sugar here (Australia) pure icing sugar, and soft icing sugar, which is the pure icing sugar, mixed with I think.. cornflour. In the States I think it's called 'confectioners sugar'.

Ellie.

From the actual block chocolate recipes I've seen so far, I've got the feeling that American chocolate isn't very...pleasant. I think block chocolate needs cocoa butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, milk, and you can add vanilla or cinnamon to it as well for a different flavour. I don't know the exact proportions, but butter of some sort is definitely required, or the chocolate won't have that creamy, thick texture.

Editor's Note: Baking chocolate is not sweetened and is used as a base for confections. We do have tasty chocolate here but baking chocolate isn't good without additions.

thanks i really needed a chocolate recipe for school. many thanks adele thanks again and again forever

Mix together

1/2 c.cocoa powder

dash of salt

1 1/2 c.powdered milk

2 T.malted milk powder

Hi!I was doing research on homemade chocolate and I found this thread. I'm from Malaysia so, according to the net, copha's only available in Australia. I was wondering, is the copha that's used in the recipe compulsory, and if so, what's the substitute for it?

Everything I truly need and want are only sold in Australia T_T *sigh* Thanks in advance!

<b> Editor's Note:</b> Copha is a brand name for a vegetable shortening made of solidified coconut oil. It will stay solid at room temperature. Try substituting coconut butter. Vegetable shortening is poor, flavorless substitute.

I need recipe for making white and dark chocolate at home. Can someone help me with this?

Neelima from India

I am not sure what you mean. You can order bulk supplies of both on-line. Dark Chocolate has the lowest amount of milk added to it.

I want to make homemade chocolates. If I make my own chocolate do I have to temper the chocolate after it's set to make my mini chocolates?

Thanks.

By Lynn