Homemade Chunky Applesauce
I just love chunky applesauce. I always make my own. It is so easy, and it tastes so much better. I use only MacIntosh apples. You can actually use no sugar, because they are so sweet. Here is my easy recipe.
- 3 lb MacIntosh apples, peeled, quartered, cored and cut into pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- dash salt
- Peel, core, and cut apples into chunks.
- Put them into a 2-3 quart saucepan with cover.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add 1 cup of water. The apples will create some water of their own.
- Turn on high heat until it comes to a boil, then lower to medium heat.
- Cover and stir every few minutes.
- When the apples start softening, and breaking up, you can take the pan off the stove. If you like your applesauce very chunky, leave it alone. If you want it smoother, just stir it and this should make it smoother. If you want it fine, use a potato masher to make it thin applesauce.
- This is delicious hot, warm, or you can cool it. Refrigerate leftovers. It can also be frozen.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!