Homemade Clay Recipes

Make your own clay for kids' crafts and your own projects. This page contains homemade clay recipes.

Colorful Homemade Clay
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am new here. I am looking for a good pottery clay recipe for making a bowl. My niece is engaged to be married and I want to make a plate/flat bowl for her. I saw one on Pinterest, it was used in the wedding for the ring barrer to carry the rings in. It had a doily pressed into it and the couples initials and some birds perched on the side. I want to make something similar that will last as a keepsake. I would like to paint it and be able to seal it with shellac. Any recipes that would be good for this kind of project and can be made from home cheaply? I don't have much money.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best home made clay recipe I have used is called "cold porcelain". There are a variety of recipes available online and you would be able to find one that suits what you have on hand. It air dries, can be painted and sealed and I have unpainted pieces that are over ten years old and are solid. The clay is smooth and light colored. Not for food but very nice for decorative.

This is a guide about making homemade polymer clay. You can make an inexpensive version of polymer clay from everyday household ingredients.

A photo of hands molding multi-colored polymer clay.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For no-bake craft clay, mix 1 cup cornstarch, 1 1/4 cup cold water, 2 cups baking soda, and food coloring (optional). Combine cornstarch, water, and baking soda in a saucepan and stir over medium heat 3-4 minutes. The mixture should look like mashed potatoes. Add food coloring if desired. Remove from heat, turn onto a flat dish, cover with a towel, and let cool. When cool, knead like bread and store in an airtight container.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ingredients

• 1 cup flour
    • 1/2 cup salt
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 2 tsp. salad oil

Directions

Mix and add color as desired. Can be molded, dried, and painted with water colors.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I want a recipe for making polymer clay.

Joyce

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a great recipe to use:

http://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.c ... 4/diy-hybrid-art-clay-crafty-recipe/

Enjoy, Gem

Anyone have a recipe for salt based play clay or porcelain cornstarch clay?

Granny Gnome from Oregon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here are a few sites that might have what your looking for..

http://www.4kraftykidz.com/CraftRecipes.html

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-an ... ?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10777

http://www.dragonsaretooseldom.com/craft_recipes.html

Hope you can find what you need/want at one of them :0)

Maggie O in Bloomington, MN

Read More Answers...

I've developed an algebraic system for creating a variety of colors for polymer and modeling clay. It's similar to the technique for mixing food coloring. What I do after conditioning the clay (I use the colors red, blue, yellow, black, and white) is form balls about 1 cm. in diameter for each color, making sure to put the unused balls in an air-tight container. I then combine the colored balls using my system. For example 4B+4R means combining 4 blue balls with 4 red balls, 2Y+6R means combining 2 yellow and 6 red balls and so forth. It's much cheaper than buying pre-mixed colors and a lot more fun.

By Angela from Sault Ste Marie, ON, Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Crafts Crafts For KidsNovember 14, 2012
    Corn Starch
    Making Corn Starch Clay
    Papier Mache Clay
    Papier Mache Clay Recipe
    Making Sand Clay
    Making Sand Clay
    Clay Pot Jack-o-Lanterns
    Clay Pot Jack-o-Lanterns
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 28, 2016 at 9:06:28 PM on 10.0.1.243 in 617 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.