Browsing: Homemade Drain Cleaners

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Drain Cleaners

There are common household products that can make a safe drain cleaner. This guide is about homemade drain cleaners.

Homemade Drain Cleaners
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 8, 2006 Flag

I would like to know if there is a homemade way to clear drains instead of having to buy Draino or another name-brand clog remover? I have some trouble with my bathroom sink not draining properly at times.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Why not clean out your drain by taking it apart? You probably have it clogged full of hair. We never use any chemical to try to eat out the clog rather, we just open up the drain and clean it out. Why buy "garbage" chemicals, like drano, that don't work anyways?

Best Answer

I'm sorry folks but if you mix equal parts vinegar (dilute acetic acid) and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, base) the two will neutralize each other, i don't think the chemcial reaction is gonna do anything to break up hair/soap/gunk, all you are gonna get is salt water

Editor's Note: It's true that they do neutralize each other but the fizzing loosens the gunk. I've used this many times with great results. Just keep pouring in vinegar until it stops fizzing, then run hot water and out the clog goes. If it is a hard clog, like something solid stuck in the pipe, it won't help but it is particles of food, hair and oils, it works very well.

Best Answer

If I could pour anything down my drain it wouldn't be plugged! Get a drain snake aka 'drain auger'.

Best Answer

(Submitted via email)

I was looking for a home made substitute for draino, to safe some money and not to use harsh chemicals. I tried the advise from different ladies, to use salt, vinegar and baking soda and it worked.Thank you girls. my beloved one

After the snake, fill the drain with water and go at it with a toilet plunger. My shower drain has never worked better.

November 3, 2012 Flag

Clean out clogged pipes with three kitchen ingredients.

• 1 cup salt
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 2 qt boiling water

Related Products:

1. Remove any standing water.
  2. Pour in salt (this usually fills the drain).
  3. Pour on baking soda.
  4. Pour on white vinegar.
  5. Pour on boiling hot water.
  6. It doesn't take effect immediately. Wait an hour, if it still has standing water add about a half a cup more vinegar.

I have used this on two sinks and one bathtub and it works.

December 9, 2008 Flag

Can you clean drains with salt?

Pete from Aurora, CO

Best Answer

Drain Cleaner: For light drain cleaning, mix 1/2 cup salt in 4 liters water, heat (but not to a boil) and pour down the drain. For stronger cleaning, pour about 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain, then 1/2 cup vinegar. The resulting chemical reaction can break fatty acids down into soap and glycerine, allowing the clog to wash down the drain. After 15 minutes, pour in boiling water to clear residue. Caution: only use this method with metal plumbing. Plastic pipes can melt if excess boiling water is used. Also, do not use this method after trying a commercial drain opener--the vinegar can react with the drain opener to create dangerous fumes.

http://www.eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

Drains are usually clogged with grease in the kitchen or with hair in the bathroom. Does salt have any effect on grease or hair? Not at my house. I could not clean a greasy pan with salt or salt water.

When you mix baking soda and vinegar together, you get a chemical reaction. They bubble together, and maybe those bubbles would loosen something grungy in your sink, but when the reaction is done -- you have salt water again, and carbon dioxide that has bubbled off. Baking soda, dissolved in water, should mix with grease and make soap, as that is how soap is made -- a base and a fat. Personally, for a kitchen sink, I find that hot water keeps the sink clear. If you can't dig out a hair clog, you are going to have to go to a commercial drain cleaner.

The way that I keep our drains clean is to pour a cupful of bleach down each one once a week, never had any kind of backup!

May 12, 2004 Flag

Buy a box of baking soda and a bottle of vinegar, dump the soda in your drains, followed by vinegar, let bubble out about 15 minutes, then run clean water down sink.

By Linda

September 4, 2007 Flag

Cleaning drains with vinegar, baking soda and hot water. What's the recipe?

Best Answer

Empty about 1/2 box of baking soda into your drain.

Follow that with about 1/2-1 cup of vinegar.

It will boil for a few inutes.

Follow that with about 2 cups of boiling water out of a kettle.

There's no recipe that I'm aware of. I just sprinkle baking soda down the drain, pour in white vinegar and keep putting in small amounts of vinegar until it stops bubbling and then rinse with hot water.

I gave my suggestions for cleaning drains a few days ago, but maybe you missed them. I use about 1/4 cup baking soda, a cup of vinegar, and follow with a couple of cups of boiling water.Let set for a few minutes, then flush drains with cold water. There are no exact measurements, but this is approximately what I offered.

May 22, 2007 Flag

To keep sink drains smelling good: once a month, sprinkle 1/4 cup baking soda into drain, follow with a cup of white vinegar. Let this bubble up and work for about 5 minutes. Next pour a cup of boiling water into drain Leave for another 5 minutes, then flush down with running water.

By ruthvalleygal from Harlingen, TX

March 13, 2010 Flag

Can you use baking soda and salt to open slow moving drains? If so, how much of each?

By Sharon from Mackinaw, IL

Not table salt, use baking soda and VINEGAR.

December 6, 2007 Flag

You can unclog your sink, shower or tub with 3 antacid tablets and 1 cup of vinegar. Works wonders!

March 13, 2010 Flag

To safely clean drains, I pour baking soda into the drain followed by table salt. If the clog isn't bad, I just use cold water to flush it down.

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomNovember 5, 2012
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
tub drain
Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 24, 2016 at 8:29:13 AM on 10.0.2.239 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.