Browsing: Homemade Dry Erase Boards

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Dry Erase Boards

Money can be saved by making your own white board. This guide is about homemade dry erase boards.

Homemade Dry Erase Boards
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 15, 2010 Flag

Whiteboards are awesome items to have around the house. Uses range from chore lists to honey-do lists and reminders. If you don't own one already, I bet you already have one that you weren't aware of - your refrigerator!

Before you go writing all over it, test an inconspicuous small area to ensure its erasability. I attached the sticky side of a magnet to a dry erase marker so I don't have to scramble around looking for something to write with. My kid's chore list is on the front of ours so they don't need a verbal reminder of what they need to do. Hope this helps someone else too.

By ppotter from Hillsborough, NC

March 26, 2006 Flag
Eva Marie Stasiak1 found this helpful

Dry Erase Birthday TileThis is a really fun project to give as a gift for kids or parents. You can make anything from count down to Christmas or birthday tiles or count down to baby tiles.

Supplies.

Directions:

1. After you have gathered all your supplies, clean the face of your tile with the alcohol and cotton ball, this will removes oils so you can see your pencil marks clearly.
  2. Next use a pencil to draw out your words and design on the tile (this is a draft, if you make a mistake dont worry you can wipe it away with the alcohol.) This step is an important one, take your time with it, after the next step everything is permanent.
  3. When you are happy with your design use your paint marker to draw the outlines and words on permanently. Watch carefully so your hand doesn't smear the paint. When you are done let the tile dry for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Next select your paints and fill in the colors to your design. Note that you want to leave the area for the dry erase marker paint free. The dry erase marker will not wipe away if you use it on the painted parts of the tile.
  5. Let the tile dry about 20 minutes before you continue. The next step is to cut your ribbon the length you like and tie it to your dry erase marker. Using your hot glue gun attach the ribbon to the back of the tile.
  6. Back side of tile showing hanger and attachment of marker.

7. If your tile does not have holes at the top to string a hanging ribbon through you can use the hot glue gun to glue a wire or string/ribbon into place at the back. If you are using wire or ribbon that does not match make sure to glue it low enough that when you hang the tile you cannot see it.
Tile with attached marker.

January 27, 2014 Flag

I use page protectors. Just put white paper or card stock inside the protector and you have a portable, cheap and double sided dry erase board. Another kind of board is to have a piece of card stock laminated. My local library has laminating services that are reasonably priced, if you don't own your own laminator (most people do not).

June 28, 2011 Flag

A light colored tile used as a dry erase message board, with red writing.I use a small tile for a dry erase board. You do not have to use dry erase markers. You can use color markers that are not permanent, like the kind the kids draw with. They are great for people to leave messages on, and the kids enjoy it a lot.

I have this one on a table on the porch. There is always a message there from me to the kids or from the kids to me. You simply wipe with a wet cloth, and it is clean. It doesn't wear out like a regular dry erase board. If you wanted to bring it in the house, I would attach felt to the back of it so as not to scratch furniture.

By Robin F. from Hampton, TN

November 10, 2011 Flag

Staple a dollar store vinyl shower curtain to a piece of plywood for a quick and easy dry erase board.

February 17, 2005 Flag

I have a lot of lists on my fridge and was going to buy dry erase white boards for each list... too expensive. So I purchased clear overhead transparency sheets and pens, Mounted them to the fridge with magnets. Now for little cost I can have as many "white boards" I need.

January 9, 2005 Flag

White dry erase boards are costly, especially large ones. Instead, I stick white contact paper to the front of my refrigerator. Dry erase markers work well on it and can be wiped with a damp cloth or special dry erase spray.

May 20, 2005 Flag

Is there a way to make a small (12" x 18") Dry erase board? (White surface markerboard)

The ones I have seen are so expensive.

Hank from Syracuse

Small white boards are available at WalMart in the stationery section for about $3.00.

Use a large picture frame with the glass in it. It also works on the bathroom mirror, which is a sure way to deliver a message to a family member or just a reminder to yourself

When I was tutoring & wanted small, portable white boards, I found I could use the backs of shiney white-coated portfolio covers. I also used a small white metal board, originally for magnets, found at yard sale. The white board markers worked quite well on these surfaces. You might experiment with other smooth, white surfaces, such as scraps of laminate.

Materials:

piece of corkboard

plastc binder dividor with pocket

piece of white paper

paste

magnets (optional)

Instructions:

take the plastic binder dividor with pocket and put the piece of white paper in the pocket. Now turn the divider over and all you see is the plastic part. Now take the paste (elmers rubber cement works best) and put it on one side of the corkboard. Now take the side if the dividor that has the pocket on it and glue it to the side of the corkboard with the paste. Note: Be sure you glue the side with the pocket not the side with the plastic!!!!

Optional: put sticky magnet on the back so you can magnetize it to your refridgerator!

Note: Dry erase markers ONLY!!! Any other marker will stain and never come off !!!!!!!!!!!"have fun and i hope this works for you!!"

Crafts MiscellaneousDecember 5, 2012
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Dry Erase Markers
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Couch
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
birthday countdown tile
Making a Dry Erase Count Down Tile
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 1, 2016 at 1:35:32 AM on 10.0.0.208 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.