Browsing: Homemade Dry Erase Boards

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Dry Erase Boards

Money can be saved by making your own white board. This guide is about homemade dry erase boards.

June 15, 2010 Flag

Whiteboards are awesome items to have around the house. Uses range from chore lists to honey-do lists and reminders. If you don't own one already, I bet you already have one that you weren't aware of - your refrigerator!

Before you go writing all over it, test an inconspicuous small area to ensure its erasability. I attached the sticky side of a magnet to a dry erase marker so I don't have to scramble around looking for something to write with. My kid's chore list is on the front of ours so they don't need a verbal reminder of what they need to do. Hope this helps someone else too.

By ppotter from Hillsborough, NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have a textured front on your fridge, I'd imagine you could attach a small whiteboard. A cheap/free alternative whiteboard is the styrofoam (well-washed, of course) from any package of meat.

And I hear you can remove wipe-off marker stain by marking over the spot with fresh marks and immediately wipe it off. Hope this helps.

Eva Marie Stasiak1 found this helpful
March 26, 2006 Flag

This is a really fun project to give as a gift for kids or parents. You can make anything from count down to Christmas or birthday tiles or count down to baby tiles.

Directions:

1. After you have gathered all your supplies, clean the face of your tile with the alcohol and cotton ball, this will removes oils so you can see your pencil marks clearly.
  2. Next use a pencil to draw out your words and design on the tile (this is a draft, if you make a mistake dont worry you can wipe it away with the alcohol.) This step is an important one, take your time with it, after the next step everything is permanent.
  3. Related Content(article continues below)

4. When you are happy with your design use your paint marker to draw the outlines and words on permanently. Watch carefully so your hand doesn't smear the paint. When you are done let the tile dry for 2-3 minutes.
  5. Next select your paints and fill in the colors to your design. Note that you want to leave the area for the dry erase marker paint free. The dry erase marker will not wipe away if you use it on the painted parts of the tile.
  6. Let the tile dry about 20 minutes before you continue. The next step is to cut your ribbon the length you like and tie it to your dry erase marker. Using your hot glue gun attach the ribbon to the back of the tile.
  7. If your tile does not have holes at the top to string a hanging ribbon through you can use the hot glue gun to glue a wire or string/ribbon into place at the back. If you are using wire or ribbon that does not match make sure to glue it low enough that when you hang the tile you cannot see it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I love this idea!!

January 27, 2014 Flag

I use page protectors. Just put white paper or card stock inside the protector and you have a portable, cheap and double sided dry erase board.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 28, 2011 Flag

A light colored tile used as a dry erase message board, with red writing.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a small tile for a dry erase board. You do not have to use dry erase markers. You can use color markers that are not permanent, like the kind the kids draw with. They are great for people to leave messages on, and the kids enjoy it a lot.

November 10, 2011 Flag

Staple a dollar store vinyl shower curtain to a piece of plywood for a quick and easy dry erase board.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 17, 2005 Flag

I have a lot of lists on my fridge and was going to buy dry erase white boards for each list... too expensive. So I purchased clear overhead transparency sheets and pens, Mounted them to the fridge with magnets. Now for little cost I can have as many "white boards" I need.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 9, 2005 Flag

White dry erase boards are costly, especially large ones. Instead, I stick white contact paper to the front of my refrigerator. Dry erase markers work well on it and can be wiped with a damp cloth or special dry erase spray.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2005 Flag

Is there a way to make a small (12" x 18") Dry erase board? (White surface markerboard)

The ones I have seen are so expensive.

Hank from Syracuse

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are just wanting a small board to write reminders on you can use a file folder that has been laminated. You can use dry erase markers to write on the laminate and it will erase off with a damp paper towel.

Small white boards are available at WalMart in the stationery section for about $3.00.

Use a large picture frame with the glass in it. It also works on the bathroom mirror, which is a sure way to deliver a message to a family member or just a reminder to yourself

When I was tutoring & wanted small, portable white boards, I found I could use the backs of shiney white-coated portfolio covers. I also used a small white metal board, originally for magnets, found at yard sale. The white board markers worked quite well on these surfaces. You might experiment with other smooth, white surfaces, such as scraps of laminate.

Materials:

piece of corkboard

plastc binder dividor with pocket

piece of white paper

paste

magnets (optional)

Instructions:

take the plastic binder dividor with pocket and put the piece of white paper in the pocket. Now turn the divider over and all you see is the plastic part. Now take the paste (elmers rubber cement works best) and put it on one side of the corkboard. Now take the side if the dividor that has the pocket on it and glue it to the side of the corkboard with the paste. Note: Be sure you glue the side with the pocket not the side with the plastic!!!!

Optional: put sticky magnet on the back so you can magnetize it to your refridgerator!

Note: Dry erase markers ONLY!!! Any other marker will stain and never come off !!!!!!!!!!!"have fun and i hope this works for you!!"

Crafts MiscellaneousDecember 5, 2012
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Dry Erase Markers
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Couch
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
birthday countdown tile
Making a Dry Erase Count Down Tile
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 27, 2017 at 4:23:13 PM on 10.0.2.240 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.