Homemade Ear Wash for Dogs

Keeping your dog's ears clean is important for their health. This is a guide about homemade ear wash for dogs.

Filter Sort

Tip: Homemade Ear Cleaning Solution

By Stacey 4 20

I am a professional pet groomer, I hated spending so much money on ear cleaning solution. I researched a lot and came up with my own mix and it works great. Not only does it save me a lot of money, but I know all the ingredients it has in it.

I use an old ear cleaning solution bottle and mix 2 parts water, 1 part rubbing alcohol, and 1 part white vinegar. Try it and you'll never waste money on store bought solution again!

Source: Online research and trials.

By Stacey from GA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Ear Wash for Dogs

By mary ann 1

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade ear flush for dogs?

By Mary Ann from Columbus, OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Ktkat 7 Flag

April 28, 2011Best Answer

It used to be that vets recommended rubbing alcohol or peroxide. Not anymore. They found that the alcohol irritates the ear and the peroxide actually eats away at the flesh!

The simplest and safest thing to use is one part water to one part white vinegar and use a cotton ball saturated in this solution to wipe out the outer part of the ear. Then gently fill the ear canal with the solution and again gently massage the dog's ear from the base (where the ear attaches to his head) Do this for about 10 to 15 seconds to make sure the solution gets right down into the ear canal as they can be quite deep. Make sure you keep the dog's head tipped so the solution doesn't run out.

When finished massaging tip the head and see how much liquid will come out. Once you let go the dog will shake its' head so watch out. This, however, will loosen the internal debris.

If you think the dog has an infection, yeast or otherwise take him to the vet. This is meant just for cleaning. Also please try to have the liquid at room temperature. Would you like someone pouring icy cold water in your ear?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Golden retriever puppy.
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 1, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
Elephant Ear Plant
Wintering an Elephant Ear Plant
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 12:15:35 AM on 10.0.1.63 in 927 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings