Homemade Ear Wash for Dogs

Keeping your dog's ears clean is important for their health. This is a guide about homemade ear wash for dogs.

August 23, 2011 Flag

I am a professional pet groomer, I hated spending so much money on ear cleaning solution. I researched a lot and came up with my own mix and it works great. Not only does it save me a lot of money, but I know all the ingredients it has in it.

I use an old ear cleaning solution bottle and mix 2 parts water, 1 part rubbing alcohol, and 1 part white vinegar. Try it and you'll never waste money on store bought solution again!

Source: Online research and trials.

By Stacey from GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have 4 cats and this will come in handy. It also would have saved me a lot of money on my dog.

June 12, 2016 Flag

What do you use for carwash? I didn't get the break down on it. Jazz is always shaking his head. I know it really is bothering him, poor baby. Vets can get expensive when you have five pets. Thanks!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

ZYMOX LP3 Enzyme system. You can buy it much cheaper at Pet Supermarket or Petsmart. Exactly the same thing I used to buy from the vet. You put it in the ears for 7 days. DO NOT was the ear or wipe out during the 7 days. At the end of the week of treatment I wipe out the ears with baby wipes.

April 11, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade ear flush for dogs?

By Mary Ann from Columbus, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It used to be that vets recommended rubbing alcohol or peroxide. Not anymore. They found that the alcohol irritates the ear and the peroxide actually eats away at the flesh!

The simplest and safest thing to use is one part water to one part white vinegar and use a cotton ball saturated in this solution to wipe out the outer part of the ear. Then gently fill the ear canal with the solution and again gently massage the dog's ear from the base (where the ear attaches to his head) Do this for about 10 to 15 seconds to make sure the solution gets right down into the ear canal as they can be quite deep. Make sure you keep the dog's head tipped so the solution doesn't run out.

When finished massaging tip the head and see how much liquid will come out. Once you let go the dog will shake its' head so watch out. This, however, will loosen the internal debris.

If you think the dog has an infection, yeast or otherwise take him to the vet. This is meant just for cleaning. Also please try to have the liquid at room temperature. Would you like someone pouring icy cold water in your ear?

You could also try a mix of witch hazel and water for an ear wash.

May 23, 2016 Flag

What's a good homemade ear drop? I'm tired of spending the money for my dog's ear drops. His name is Buddy and he is a Dachshund mix. His vet did give us ear drops, but we are almost out. His ears build up with wax and it stinks and it makes him stink.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 1, 2012
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
Elephant Ear Plant
Wintering an Elephant Ear Plant
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 9:22:41 AM on 10.0.1.11 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.