Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner

I purchased a 3 oz. bottle of Ultra Clarity eye glass cleaner from an optical shop. I'd like to make my own copycat solution, because this stuff can get quite expensive. The back of the spray bottle reads that it is actually made with rubbing alcohol. I've made my own solution before by adding a small amount of rubbing alcohol to some water.

And I make sure that I shake it before squirting it on my lenses. I then use a soft cloth to buff the lenses. My homemade solution works okay, but doesn't clean my plastic lenses as well as the professional product. My homemade solution still leaves some cloudy spots on the lenses whereas the stuff that I bought from the optical shop does a much better job. I don't want to take the risk of adding Windex, rubbing alcohol, and water because I could end up ruining my $400.00+ pair of glasses. Does anyone in the Thrifty community know the secret formula?

MCW from Lewiston, NY

Answers:

Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner

I use 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 distilled water in a spray bottle. It works fine, after I rinse off my glasses in plain water first. (10/22/2008)

By Nance

Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner

If you have a Vision World (I know they are a large chain store) they sell a cleaner with a refill bottle, you buy it once ($7), it came with a soft cloth and "on-the-go-premoistened" clothes. Whenever you want to, go to any of their locations with the refill bottle and they will refill it for free.
As far as homemade, my mom uses water and white vinegar for cleaning windows and mirrors (for that matter, stains on carpets) and my friend swears by cornstarch and water (a few Tbsp. of cornstarch to a gallon of water). Maybe if they work for windows and mirrors, they'll work for the plastic glasses?(10/23/2008)

By wife2jfbuilder

I got my glasses at walmart and bought a small spray bottle with solution in it. I just bring the bottle back and they refill it for free that way if it damages the lenses it's their fault

make sure to use softened water or the minerals (hard rock ) will scratch lenses. RO water best or filtered and softened.

Close up of Cleaning Eyeglasses
Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner Recipes
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Brass Buddha figurine on floral fabric.
Homemade Brass Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe
🎉
🎄