Homemade Febreze

I love using Febreze Fabric Freshener but have found it to be quite expensive when used constantly. So, I decided to make my own Fabric Freshener and it is less costly.

You will need:

• Spray Bottle (I use an empty Febreze one)
  • Liquid Fabric Softener

Take Fabric softener and fill it 3/4 full. Then add the rest with water and shake a bit. You now have Fabric Freshener that is as good if not better then the original Febreze. The scent also lasts much longer and is a great efficient way of always having this on hand.

Spray away and be happy.

Carolyn from E Northport, NY

Concerned About Pet and Human Chemical Safety

It amazes me that people buy this type of product. Febreze is chock full of chemicals. In fact, so full of chems that it is known to cause household birds to DIE. Given that fact, do you think it is that good for humans? Same thing with Teflon/non stick surfaces, folks! (gases are released and has caused birds to die)

Being married to a chemically sensitive husband, we have had to forego with the vast majority of chemicals in our lives. Things with scents, including those plug in devices, fabric softener, etc, all have pthalates which interfere with the body's hormones.

I would think twice before spraying this product around just to make things smell nice or as a cover up. Those who have suggested baking soda are on the right track. If you need scent, add some essential oils. Think about guests entering your homes. We avoid places that are sprayed with anything.

By Lois Ann from New York

Febreze is Not Harmful to Pets

Lois Ann: Not that I'm a big user of febreze (I found this entry while looking for a way to control static on my sofa) but I can't stand to see people repeat Urban Legends as fact. Febreze is NOT harmful to pets. Spend two minutes researching things before you repeat these stories.

As found all over the internet: http://www.snopes.com/toxins/febreze.htm

The ASPCA's National Animal Poison Control Center agrees. A staff veterinarian I spoke with said the Center has not been able to confirm any cases of Febreze causing the death or serious injury of pets. The Center has issued the following statement:

Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA National Animal Poison Center are conducting an on-going investigation into claims that use of Febreze in the home caused the death of several pets. All information reviewed to date suggests that there is no evidence that Febreze represents any risk to pets when used according to label instructions. Presently, the center considers the product safe to use in households with pets. As with any cleaning product, the center recommends that birds be removed from the room until the product application has dried and the area has been ventilated. Please call 1-800-345-4735 if you have any questions or have a pet that you suspect is experiencing problems or visit us at www.napcc.aspca.org

ASPCA/NAPCC Letter Regarding Febreze

The Center also told me that while zinc chloride (one of the ingredients in Febreze) can be toxic in large amounts, it comprises less than 1% of the formulation of the product and is not considered to be a hazard, contrary to allegations in the email warnings. Procter & Gamble says it began producing an improved Febreze formula in December 1998 which does not contain the chemical.

By Vincent

Magical Air Freshener and Dewrinkler Spray

Of the many different recipes for homemade fabric/air freshener I have tried in the past, this is what I have come up with as my own recipe. I don't use very much fabric softener because most commercial grade fabric softeners (Bounce, Snuggle, Downy, etc..) contain chemicals that have been found to cause cancer, nervous system disorders, and brain damage, as well as reduce the effectiveness of flame resistant materials. So, be safe and avoid exposure to harmful chemicals when possible.

• 1 16oz fine mist sprayer (an old febreze/downy wrinkle releaser bottle will do)
  • 2 Tbsp. of white vinegar (cheap and available at grocery store)
  • 2 Tbsp. of your favorite fabric softener (preferably a natural/organic softener which can be hard to find locally, but can be ordered online)
  • 6 to 10 drops of your favorite essential/scented oil (you can also use any scented extract available such as vanilla or almond)

Fill the remainder of the 16oz container with distilled water (cheap and available at grocery store. You could also boil some tap water and let it cool a bit before handling, but please don't use impure water straight from the tap)

Shake and spray to eliminate undesirable odors or release wrinkles

NOTE: If you are concerned about chemicals from using fabric softener, you could leave fabric softener out of the recipe and use a little more white vinegar and scented oil/extract. There shouldn't be much of a vinegar smell at all and if there is it will be gone when dried. White vinegar works very well against odors by absorbing them and nuetralizing them instead of just covering them up. It's also a safe and effective alternative to using fabric softener in your washing machine, helping to release wrinkles, clean and brighten clothes, as well as making your clothes last longer instead of chemically destroying them. Additionally, vinegar kills 82% of mold spores on contact.

By Die Hard

Homemade Febreze won't work

You cannot make febreze without cyclodextrin nor does it clean or remove anything. It masks odor only through a two part process by reducing the volatility of odor molecules so they cannot be smelled. Spraying fabric softener, etc, will not accomplish the same thing but will cause a build up of gunk in your house, and make fabric harder to clean properly. Ditto for oils, etc. Febreze is not a cleaner, even the makers don't make this claim.

By Check your facts

Generic Blue Spray Bottle
Homemade Febreze Recipes (Fabric Freshener)
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Saving Money on Febreze