Homemade Fire Starters

Save lint from dryer, "cardboard" egg cartons (not the styrofoam ones) and old candle pieces or crayons. Put lint in each egg cup. Melt the candle pieces in an old coffee can. Pour melted wax into egg cups. Let dry, break apart and use to start your fires!

By Beejay from Whittier, CA

Answers:

Homemade Fire Starters

I too make fire starters for camping this way. I have a plastic bag hanging not far from my dryer where I place the lint from my dryer. I also use the cardboard egg cartons, but instead of using old crayons or used wax from candles, I just purchase Gulf Wax paraffin blocks that I purchase in the grocery store. I use an old sauce pan to melt the wax. These starters are almost free, except for the paraffin that I purchase. We usually cook on our fires so I don't want the scent of candles in our fire. But that is just me. Glad someone else is into making these simple fire starters for camping. They get the fire started quickly, as the dryer lint, cardboard and wax are very flammable.

(01/10/2007)

By Linda From PA

Homemade Fire Starters

These sound like great ideas, however, if you're starting a fire indoors (needing a chimney) you do not want to use anything like crayons or wax that adds to the build up in the chimney. (01/13/2007)

By Debbie

Homemade Fire Starters

Yes, yes, I'm certain it's a great idea. WARNING! Watch the temperature of the heating wax VERY carefully because it tends to melt quickly and FLARE UP FAST, which is how my 11 yr. old daughter caught our kitchen on fire years ago. Our kitchen has never been the same, and I ALMOST didn't hear her scream as she tossed WATER on it, the WORST POSSIBLE THING SHE COULD HAVE DONE IN HER PANIC. I was in the back bath with the exhaust fan on as she was yelling for HELP! By the grace of God she was not burned and our home didn't burn down.

I've been saving old egg cartons with plans to show my grandchild how to make paper from it since what I have are recycled paper cartons for brown eggs.

You've given me the great idea of using the egg cartons for holding/storing the medium small pine cones we plan to dip in paraffin for outdoor fire starters in our firepit rather than to toss all of those

things. I just LOVE to recycle, don't you? God bless you. Thanks, too. : ) (01/26/2007)

By Lynda

Homemade firestarters made in muffin tins
Homemade Fire Starters
LIttle BOy Looking in the Mirror at his Fire Fighter Costume
Making a Fire Fighter Costume
A smoke alarm and fire extinguisher for your home.
Keeping Your Home Safe from Fire
Making Pinecone Fire Starters
Making Pine Cone Fire Starters
house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family
🎉
🎄