Homemade Frozen Hash Browns

Has anyone ever made their own frozen hash browns? If so, can you please tell me how you did it?

Teena from IN

Homemade Frozen Hash Browns

This recipe is from www.recipezaar.com

Frozen Hash Browns

• 5 lbs potatoes
  • oil, for coating
  • seasoning salt, to taste

Peel and cut potatoes into 1/4 inch dice. I have a bowl of cold water to dunk them into well cutting them.
Drain and dry. Since I do so much I have an old bath towel I use in the kitchen, for canning and drying food with.
Put on a cookie sheet in one layer, coat with oil and season with seasoning salt.
Bake in 450 F oven for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Take out of the oven and cool to room temperature. Put into the freezer, either on a cookie sheet or a bowl if you are doing lots. If in a bowl then you will have to stir every couple hours to make sure they don't stick together in one big lump.

When I am pressed for time that day or too tired I freeze in a lump and then I want to use them I just take a meat mallet and start pounding away. It helps relieve frustration.

To use I just place a handful per person (for my family it is almost 2 cups) in a microwaveable container and slightly defrost in the microwave (about 1 minute), then add to a preheated frying pan with oil and cook until well browned and hot. I tried to cook from frozen, but I found they seemed to start burning before they were defrosted.

You can go to the site and check out the reviews of people who have tried this recipe. Just type in the # in the search and press go. (10/29/2007)

Homemade Frozen Hash Browns

I freeze hash browns by washing the potatoes, and boiling them just till tender, or until the skins will slip off. You can also peel them first then boil. Shred them with a shredder and shape them into hash brown patties. Freeze them on a cookie sheet first then wrap with aluminum foil and put into the freezer bags. This way you can pull out as many patties as you want. I hope you try it. (10/30/2007)

By Delores

Homemade Frozen Hash Browns

Boil 5-7 baking potatoes until soft enough to pierce through with a knife. Refrigerate potatoes over night. Cold potatoes are easier to grate.

I leave the skins on, but you can peel them if you like. Grate potatoes, to cook I heat up my iron skillet, but any skillet will do. Using butter I saute onion and peppers until soft. Add hashbrowns and cook until brown and crispy.

I freeze mine as well, when freezing I cook the hashbrowns about half the time of cooking browns for a meal. (10/30/2007)

By Kimberly A

Diced potato home fries.
Freezing Hash Browns
Hash Brown Strata
Hash Brown Potato Casserole Recipes
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
Corned Beef Hash
Hash Recipes
Photo of eggs, toast and hash browns.
Hash Browns Recipes