Homemade Hamburger Helper

I am trying to stretch my food budget and am looking for a recipe for "homemade Hamburger Helper". If anyone has any idea how to make your own Hamburger Helper without having to buy the box, this would really help me out. Thank you for any recipes/ideas. Have a good day!

By Rachelle from Denver, CO

Homemade Hamburger Helper

As far as I am concerned, "Hamburger Helper" is free-style cooking. The only rules I apply are the same as for all my cooking:

• no MSG,
  • no sugar
  • no white flour
  • it needs to have a little bit of fat, so that it doesn't cannibalize muscles

So I start with browning a chopped onion and ground beef. If there is excessive fat, I decant that off, but a few spoons full of it are quite OK. Then I add paprika powder, small flake oregano, basil, hayflowers, and bay leaf, and a spoon full of Watkins Soup & Gravy mix. (That seems to be the only one without MSG).

If I have pasta sauce or tomato paste handy, I add some of that as well. While that simmers, I check the fridge for any veggies that I don't have enough of for a complete meal, and toss those in as well.

For the pasta I use any whole wheat or mixed grain pasta, or I make spaetzle.
Spaetzle are pea sized drops of pasta dough dripped into boiling salt water and then drained. Spaetzle makers are cheap. They are just a board or slide with holes in it, and a sleeve for holding the dough to slide over the board. They are usually a dollar at yard sales, $5 at eBay, $10 at Amazon, $20 at a home hardware store, $60+ at a deli.

Instead of dripping them into salt water, you can of course also drip them into soup. But that is a different topic altogether '-)

Have FUN!

By DearWebby

RE: Homemade Hamburger Helper

Homemade Hamburger Helper

My mother made this when I was a kiddo and I've made it thought the years. It's relatively cheap, fast, and tastes way better than HH. Recipe: pre-cook about 1/2 to 3/4 of a larger package of pasta, or a full package if you are serving more than 4 people, either noodles, macaroni, or whatever. Brown lean hamburger meat in a pan and drain. Use about a pound, but if you economizing or making for less people, you can use even as little as 1/4 pound. Add chopped onion (optional). When completely cooked through, add a couple of small (or one larger can) cans of tomato sauce and salt and pepper. Then fold in the pre-cooked noodles. Heat on low about 10 minutes or so to combine the flavors. You're done. You can also add mushrooms, green pepper, celery, etc. at whim, but the basic dish, while it doesn't sound like much, is quite tasty. (08/06/2010)

By thriftyvicki

Homemade Hamburger Helper

Almost Hamburger Helper Mix in a Jar

The recipes can be found on the Thriftyfun website! (08/06/2010)

Homemade Hamburger Helper

Here's another one. ;-)

Homemade Hamburger Helper Alternative

• 1 lb ground beef, browned, and drained
  • 16 oz pasta, cooked according to package directions

Drain pasta and combine with ground beef, then add:
  • 2 (10 3/4 oz) cans of condensed tomato soup
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 tsp. prepared mustard

Cook on low heat until heated through.

By Deeli

Homemade Hamburger Helper

I ran across these recipes while surfing the net one day, I haven't tried any of them though, enjoy

Chili Cheese Hamburger Helper
    Chili Mac Hamburger Helper
    Lasagna Hamburger Helper
    Cheesy Beef Taco Hamburger Helper
    Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper
    Potato Stroganoff Hamburger Helper
    Salisbury Hamburger Helper
    Cheesy Italian Shells Hamburger Helper
    Cheesy Jambalaya Hamburger Helper
    Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper

By trm1224

Homemade Hamburger Helper

I always brown hamburger, chopped onions, chopped bell peppers (not only green, but red and yellow, makes for a pretty visualization). Brown the ground beef, until no pink is showing. I also fix a box of mac and cheese, (directions on box) and take a package of frozen peas and carrots. I blend them and cook for about 10 or so minutes, on low, so the flavors will blend. It tastes great, but so much better the next day, after it has been sitting over night. My hubby likes it. My kids (all grown, by now) used to call it "junk" They would say "we're having "junk" again. (08/07/2010)

By weezy1c

Homemade Hamburger Helper

Homemade Hamburger Helper: Brown your meat. To keep it cheap you can use ground turkey, chicken, or sausage, or hamburger.

Make your cheese sauce: melt two to four tablespoons of butter in a skillet once melted add a spoonful of flour and whisk. Once combined add in another spoonful. If it gets dry add in a touch of milk. Whisk until dissolved and add in another spoonful of flour. Add in enough milk until you reached the amount of liquid you want stirring the whole time. If the sauce isn't thick enough add in flour this way.

Put a spoonful of flour in a cup, add in two or three spoonfuls of hot skillet liquid to cup and mix until dissolved; then pour in skillet. Once sauce is made add shredded cheese. Now add homemade or store bought noodles to meat and pour into sauce along with salt and pepper. You can also add garlic and onion powder and other spices upon preference. Cook until noodles are done.

Eat and enjoy. (10/23/2010)

By sadonathan8839

Hamburger, noodle and red sauce casserole in a cast iron skillet
Homemade Hamburger Helper
Hamburger Slider
Hamburger Slider Recipes
Photo of a hamburger with a homemade bun.
Homemade Hamburger Bun Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes