Homemade Ice Cream Advice

I have only tasted and loved, but never have made, homemade ice cream in a maker before. Does anyone know how to prevent that quick-melting drawback homemade ice cream has? Also, I want to use organic ingredients. Does anyone see any drawback to that? I know it can be frozen quickly in the fridge, but I remember it melting before it got to my bowl. What did my family do wrong so I might improve upon it? Any guaranteed recipes and techniques? God bless all ice cream lovers!

Lynda from TX

Answers:

Homemade Ice Cream Advice

I'm not sure about the organic ingredients but I use 2% milk and a friend uses 1%, so you may not have any problem switching to the organics. We hand crank ice cream almost every weekend. When we've determined that it's done, we leave it sit for about ten to 15 more minutes in the ice bucket. That last sitting helps to harden it up very well. (09/28/2006)

By Amy

Homemade Ice Cream Advice

Store bought ice cream sometimes contains gelatin so it doesn't melt the same as home-made. They also have high powered churns and freezers that don't freeze quite the same as home-made. Raw goats milk makes fantastic ice cream. I know a lady that makes coffee flavored goat's milk ice cream that taste like Starbucks frozen coffee. Play around with your freezing time and different flavors (like instant coffee!) and see if you don't like it better. (09/28/2006)

By Carla

Homemade Ice Cream Advice

I used organic heavy cream and my ice cream never hardens in while turning. Is this the reason? I placed it in the freezer to see if I can save it, but it looks like milk. (06/25/2007)

By Rebecca

Homemade Ice Cream Advice

I always use organic ingredients and it turns out great. As for getting firm ice cream, it should come out of the maker like a firm-ish soft-serve. Then freeze in your freezer, airtight, for 2-4 hours for perfect texture (or eat soft out of maker).

If it is not coming out soft-serve consistency from the machine, then try chilling the mixture in the fridge BEFORE adding it to the machine. Also, if using ice and salt you may need more rock salt.

If using a pre-freeze gel canister, especially an inexpensive model, you may just need to upgrade your machine. Machines with compressors in them are the absolute best but expensive. In my opinion, though, a bucket style using ice and rock salt is superior to a gel-can.

As Amy mentions, the hand, or electric cranked ice/salt types can also harden right in the maker. Just make sure there is plenty of hard (unmelted) ice and cover the unit with newspaper or towels for a couple of hours. Perfect!

good luck! (10/01/2008)

Someone scooping homemade ice cream.
Making Homemade Ice Cream
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
🎉
🎄