Homemade Ice Pack

Last summer I had some eye surgery. My surgeon's nurse recommended I use a bag of frozen peas as an ice pack after the surgery. I tried that, but wasn't too delighted with it.

I remembered someone suggesting freezing dish washing detergent in a Ziploc bag, so I tried that. It was fantastic! The detergent never completely froze, so it conformed very well to the shape of my face. I told several friends about it, and they all thought it was a great idea.

Here's the best, thrifty part: once you no longer have a need for the ice pack, you can let it thaw and use the detergent to wash your dishes! Oh, by the way, if you still feel you must use the frozen peas, be sure to put them in a bag and don't use the box, as I heard someone did.

By Tooz from KY

Homemade Ice Pack

When I had my eye surgery last fall the Dr. told me to take a small Ziploc bag, put some water in it and then add some rubbing alcohol. Put it in the freezer and it will get nicely slushy, but never frozen rock hard. It will then conform to any area that you use it on, especially the eye area. Also, the alcohol makes it feel even colder. You can make several and keep them on hand in the freezer for injuries. Also, the story about the frozen peas in the box must be going around. I heard that one too, when I had my surgery. (03/25/2010)

By lovethosehounds

Homemade Ice Packs
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
three examples
Making an Ice Pack With Rice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield