Homemade Laundry Detergent

I would like to know how to make laundry detergent.

By Marilyn from Knoxville, TN

Answers:

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Go to Craftster.org and type in laundry detergent in the search box. There are several lovely tutorials to choose from. You may have to search through several pages of entries before you find one you like and want to try, but it is worth a look. :) (10/06/2010)

By SuzyQ82

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Grate a bar of natural castille soap (I love Dr. Bronners's) into a container. Add 2 cups of the Arm and Hammer washing soda, 1 cup of Borax, and 1/4 cup of baking soda. Put the lid on, shake it to mix it. Use 2 tablespoons for each load. (10/20/2010)

By tojoyamoto

Homemade Laundry Detergent

The recipe that works for me is similar. 1 bar of grated soap, 1 cup borax, 1/2 cup washing soda, 1/2 cup baking soda. I use half washing soda and half baking soda because I've found that all washing soda was causing some color fade. 2 spoonfuls per load, (give or take and less if you have an HE), works just as well as commercial detergents, in my opinion.

For the soap, many people use Fels Naptha, but it can be hard to find and expensive to buy, online, (especially when you factor in shipping). I can only find it and the washing soda at Wegmans. Ivory's ingredients are similar. I'll make a double batch, using one bar of Fels, one of Ivory.

There are a lot of recipes for liquid detergents out there. Don't bother. I've never had any problems with these not dissolving, even in cold. Just put them in the bottom of the tub before filling. You can even treat stains by dipping a damp toothbrush in the powder and scrubbing the stain, though an enzyme-based spray is good to keep on hand, too. (11/09/2010)

By snickerspotpie