Homemade Laundry Soap

I surprised myself, and made laundry soap. I've been thinking about it lately since commercial detergent is so expensive. So I looked for recipes, and found quite a few. I modified some of them, and finally settled on the following:

• 1/2 bar of Ivory soap (can use Fels Naptha or other bar soap)
  • 1/2 cup of washing soda
  • 1/2 cup of Borax
  • 2 gallon bucket

Grate soap. Put the soap and 3 pints of water in a medium sauce pan on low. Heat the grated soap and water together until the soap dissolves. Add the washing soda and Borax. Stir well until mixture turns thick. Turn heat off.

In a two gallon bucket pour one quart hot water. Add soap solution, and mix well. Fill the rest of the pot with hot water to make two gallons. Let set for 24 hours until thick. Use 1/2 cup per load of laundry. I washed a stained bedspread and it came out great.

By Janet R. from Long Island, NY

Homemade Laundry Soap

I was given this recipe for liquid laundry soap:

• 1/2 cup of liquid castile soap
  • 1/2 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup borax

Mix together in a 2 gallon container, add hot water to fill the container and stir. You will have to shake it up before each use because it will settle. Use 1/4 to 1/3 cup per load. (08/02/2008)

By Cathy T.

Homemade Laundry Soap

I had this recipe given to me:

• 1 c grated soap ( 1/2 c Zote and 1/2 c Fels Naptha)
  • 1/2 c Washing Soda
  • 1/2 c Borax
  • Essential Oils for Scent (Optional)

In a stockpot: Soap and 6 c. water. Heat till soap melts. Add Washing Soda and Borax, stir until dissolved, then remove from heat. Add 4 cups of hot water and stir. Then add 1 gallon + 6 cups water and stir. Let soap sit 24 hours, it will gel. Stir well before use. 1/2 c to 1 cup per load. (08/03/2009)

By mammabear3

• Comments

Homemade Laundry Soap
    Hand washing shower wall
    Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
    HE Washer
    Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer
    liquid laundry soap
    Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
    Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
    Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale