Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer

HE Washer
You can easily and inexpensively make your own laundry soap to use in all types of washers, including HE. This is a guide about homemade laundry soap for an HE washer.

Is homemade laundry soap safe for HE washers?

Lisa from Lebanon, IL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Hi Neighbor! ;0)

I do not have an HE washer, but I did find these links. The answers do not seem really "clear" -- but it seems like those who have used it have had no issues. Read your manual for sure, and then decide whether you are willing to take a shot at it.

My repair guy who came once annually to look over my machines, when I lived in Maryland, was always full of useful tips and information for taking care of my appliances. If you have a repair person you trust, they might be the best to ask.

http://www.thef  /laundrysoap.htm

http://www.thef  icles/FAQs.shtml

Yes, it's safe for HE washers. I have been using it for years. Homemade laundry detergent is really soap and doesn't suds at all. It keeps the washer and its lines clean--there is no build-up. If your water is extremely hard, you'll have to use more than the recommended amount.

OK I have to ask. What is an 'HE washer'?

Editor's Note: An HE washer stands for "high efficiency washer". They are typically front loading washers that use much less water than conventional washing machines.

Can homemade laundry soap be used in the HE washing machines?

Brenda from Carrollton, Texas

HE liquid soap is recommended as it cleans and helps maintain the washer machines. They are the same price as regular liquid soaps. I'm not so sure on what you mean my homemade soap?

Hope this helps.

Question: What is HE Laundry Detergent & When are High-Efficiency Detergents Used

What is HE high-efficiency detergent and when is it used?

Can just any detergent be used in front-load washers? Washer manufacturers recommend 'he' detergents be used in their front-load and high-efficiency washers. Is this necessary?

Answer: Washer manufacturers recommend that only HE detergents be used in their front-load and high-efficiency washers, and most will even recommend a particular brand of HE detergent.

There is a good reason for using detergent that is specially formulated for these newer front-load washers. HE detergents are concentrated laundry detergents that are low-sudsing especially for use with low water high-efficiency washers.

If regular detergents were to be used in front-loading and high-efficiency washers, the presence of too many suds could 'confuse' washing cycles, cause delays and make proper rinsing of clothes difficult.

Similar to why dish detergent does not work well in a dishwasher which requires specially formulated non-sudsing dishwasher detergent, performance can be severely affected by the use of improper detergents in low water washing machines.

HE detergents can readily be found where regular laundry soap is sold - look for the 'HE' symbol the next time you shop. There is no difference in price for this particular type of detergent, nor is there any reduction in loads per container. Buying in bulk can reap savings and ensure you have it on hand for all your washings.

I've used both Tide® HE and Ultra Sunlight® HE and found they both clean very well. The Tide® brand has a nice mild fragrance and is safe for septic systems, and the Ultra Sunlight® brand sports the HE, Sensitive Skin and Fragrance-Free labels, a real plus for allergy sufferers.

Using proper HE detergent for your high-efficiency low water washer will enable your laundry appliance to perform as it should.

Many HE machines can use regular detergent if you use a lot less of it. I would then presume that home-made soap could be used as well. Let us know, but I doubt you will have trouble.

I make and use homemade laundry soap in my HE washer all the time with no problems. It costs me approx. $3.00 a month to do laundry.

How do you make your own laundry detergent?

"Post by jenifer4000 (1) | (01/23/2009)

Contact

I make and use homemade laundry soap in my HE washer all the time with no problems. It costs me approx. $3.00 a month to do laundr"

Jennifer4000:

If you don't mind my asking, what brand of He washer do you have & how long have you been using the homemade laundry detergent? Thanks very much!

Washer manufacturers recommend that only HE detergents be used in their front-load and high-efficiency washers, and most will even recommend a particular brand of HE detergent.

Saving_Nickles_n_dimes: I have a Whirlpool Duet (2005 model) and I've been using homemade laundry soap for six or seven months now.

There is one thing that I do and have done for a year or so. I buy this product at Lowe's called "Affresh" and run one tablet every couple of months to clean out the outer drum of the washing machine. It helps to keep the soap (store bought or homemade) from guncking up the interior of the machine. It keeps the musty smell away.

Homemade laundry detergent does not have any suds because we don't put a 'sudsing agent' in it. Suds do nothing to clean the clothes - it's just a visual thing - when we see suds, we think the soap is working.

Homemade laundry soap is made by grating a bar of Fels Naptha soap, put it into a pot with enough water to cover the soap + about 2". Heat on low to medium until soap is dissolved , stirring occasionally, and add to a 5 gal. bucket of the hottest water from your tap. Stir well & add 1 cup of WASHING soda (found in laundry area of store). Put into gallon jugs (not milk jugs - plastic is too weak). Use 1/2 c. per load. A bar of Ivory soap can be used instead of Fels Naptha. Soap can gel, so shake before using. Works great & comes to about $1.50 for 5 gal! Been using it for years. If you don't have a laundry tub, use the bathtub & clean it out with the spilled stuff after you are done - a 2fer!

Please, can anyone give me some advice?
I have a brand new HE top loading washing machine being delivered next week and I'm worried if I can use my homemade laundry powder in it.

My recipe is:
1 cup grated laundry soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda (I have hard water)
1 cup oxygen-based brightener (like oxy)
I don't use borax since its not available in my country.

I usually use 1/2 cup of powder since my old twin-tub machine had the capacity for 17lb "dry" weight of clothes. This new one has the same capacity. I don't get good results using less powder. This recipe suds up a little, but not too much.

Will I damage my new machine if I use this powder or should I buy the expensive HE laundry powder available?
Liquid detergent is not an option coz I don't like them.
Thanks for any help.

By cettina from Malta, Europe

It will be fine to use the homemade stuff. I have the same washer and I don't buy the expensive stuff, instead I use other stuff.

You will probably shorten the life of your washer by not using the proper detergent. We were told to rid ourselves of regular detergent and purchase the HE type. You might get by a while with your homemade stuff but ultimately you'll have troubles. It might also possibly ruin your warantee

Oh dear! Two replies and each one exactly opposite in opinion from each other!

Still don't know what to do. My new HE washer is a candy CTD1208. the technician who installed my machine told me to be very careful what I use in my washer but didn't say which detergent to use. Any more opinions please?

When using homemade laundry soap, should I use liquid or power for he washer? Mine is a Cabrio top loader.

By Debra from Grayling, MI

Homemade laundry detergent (soap) is low sudsing, so you can use either, depending on your preference.

I have a Cabrio and use a homemade powder form. What I do is after I grate the soap, I spread it out on a platter and let it dry out for about 2 or 3 days, depending on the air in your home. Then I put it in a food processor. It becomes a fine, fine powder (please wear a mask when handling). I've had no problems with this method; I've been using it for about 4 or 5 years.

Liquid.

Can homemade soap stop up your washer?

By Brenda from TN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Is it OK to use homemade soap in the new HE washers?

By Dell

Is there a homemade washing soap powder that is safe for HE machines?

By Sharon from Sprakers, NY

I am not sure if this answers your question but many people use homeade powdered detergent in their HE machines. However, my opinion is that powdered detergents tend to gunk up machines. I stick to liquid only. Homeade detergents are low sudsing so it works well for HE machines.

Do you know if I can use your homemade laundry soap recipe instead of HE/high efficiency laundry detergent required for my new machine?

By Diana B.

How do you make high efficiency laundry soap?

By Shar R.

I am looking for a recipe for homemade soap for use in a HE front loader washer.

By Freda from Kingman, AZ

Answers:

Homemade HE Laundry Soap

Just use 1 TBS Dawn dish soap or Ivory liquid. It is cheap and cleans great! (01/03/2011)

By bkvander

Homemade HE Laundry Soap

I use Fels-Naptha bar soap in the homemade soap recipes, but you can use Ivory, Sunlight, Kirk's Hardwater Castile, or Zote bars. Don't use heavily perfumed soaps. We buy Fels-Naptha by the case from our local grocer or online. Washing soda and borax can normally be found in the laundry or cleaning aisle. Recipe cost: approximately $2.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted. Fill a five-gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda, and borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover, and let sit overnight to thicken. Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (It will gel.)

Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per two gallons; add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

Top-load machine: 5/8 cup per load (approximately 180 loads)
Front-load machine: 1/4 cup per load (approximately 640 loads)

Powdered Laundry Detergent

Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use one tablespoon. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 tablespoons. Yields: three cups detergent (approximately 40 loads).

Inexpensive fabric softener recipes:

Recipe No. 1: Add one cup white vinegar to rinse cycle.
Works great. Removes residue and odors. Also helps to keep washing machine and hoses fresh and clean too.

Recipe No. 2: 1 container of name-brand fabric softener and 4 inexpensive sponges, cut in half. Pour a whole container of softener into a five-gallon bucket. Fill empty softener container with water twice (two parts water to one part softener). Add sponges to softener/water mixture.
When ready to use, wring out extra mixture from one sponge and add to the dryer as you would a dryer sheet. (01/06/2011)

By swofferk