Homemade Liquid Hand Soap Recipes

Making your own liquid soap at home can save you money and smell just the way you want it to. This page contains homemade liquid hand soap recipes.

June 2, 2015 Flag

Make your own liquid hand soap or foam hand soap from soap scraps that normally go to waste!

Total Time: 1/2 hour plus overnight setting

Yield: one gallon

• 1 bar worth soap scraps or little hotel soaps to equal one bar for one gallon
  • 1 gal water
  • pot
  • mixer
  • optional: essential oils
  • bottles to store

1. Cut up or grate scraps of soap bars and add to a pot with one gallon water, heat and let it melt until smooth.
  2. Turn off heat and let cool. I left mine overnight. It will gel up.
  3. I used my mixer and mixed it for about 3 minutes to break down the clumpy gelatinous mass. You may add more water if you want thinner soft soap. I chose not to this time.
  4. Ad
  5. If you would like you may add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to scent the soap, or not, your choice!
  6. Then just pour some of the soap into some pump bottles (perhaps your recycling bin?) and save the rest in a larger bottle for refilling!
  7. Note: You may choose to separate some soap to scent while preserving the rest unscented so you can change scents the next time (by mixing in a different scent before bottling it) for use.
    It makes a ton!
  8. Extra tip: You may thin down the soap to a 1/4 ratio if you have an empty soap foam dispensing bottle to turn it into a foam soap too!
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You stated for foam soap the ratio is 1/4. Please clarify,, is it 1 part soap to 4 parts water?

YES it's 1/4 soap or less to 3/4 water when using a foamy dispenser

Read More Comments...

August 7, 2007 Flag

Several years ago after getting a dog I noticed how much liquid hand soap I was using. It was getting really expensive so I knew I would have to think of some frugal way to have an easy way to wash my hands many times a day.

One day, while shopping at my local discount market, I noticed how inexpensive large bottles of liquid bath soap was; it was much cheaper than the small bottles of handsoap. I thought I would see how it was for washing hands and it is great!

My only problem was that the plastic 'straw' inside the pump was quite thick and I used more than I needed each time I pumped the soap. Well, to solve this problem I simple took a regular drinking straw and cut it the length of the container and placed it inside the one that came with the container. Now, I get less soap coming out each time I pump the liquid out and it has become even more economical. Hope this will help all of you 'frugal' gals!

By Lisa from Thessaloniki, Greece

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have been doing this for a long time now. The first time, I bought two gigantic bottles on clearence at the market, they lasted ages. Now, I get a big bottle of bubble bath at the Dollar Tree & it works great.

Trish in CT

Another money saving soap idea. When your bar soaps getdown to slivers, grate them. Put the soap shavings in a bowl by the sink. Just get a pinch of soap before wetting your hands.

Read More Comments...

August 25, 2015 Flag

Where can I get supplies for making liquid soap, perfume, and air fresher? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try craft stores like Joann's and Michael's or search online for specific ingredients.

Originally I thought only health food and natural stores would have supplies I wanted for these items (essential oils, particular natural materials like white cider, baking soda, etc) BUT many grocery stores now carry them and I even found essential oils both IN some dept. stores like Walmart (in health and beauty section) and on their online sites and some are the same companies at lower prices!) Happy Hunting!

October 24, 2004 Flag

You can make your own handsoap from one bar of soap. Grate one (1) small bar of any kind of soap and add 3 cups of water. Put mixture in a microwave safe container and zap for 3 minutes. Pour into a handsoap container with a pump when cool. Makes 24 oz.

-sewingmamma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use a regular size bar of soap, or if you prefer, a bath size bar for making the handsoap, if you find it too watery. Sewingmamma

If your soap is too watery, just grate up another half bar or whole bar of soap. Re-microwave it, and let it cool. Even if you use 2 bars of soap, you are still saving money. 2 bars of soap cost less than $1. An 8 oz bottle of liquid soap costs around $1. So you esentially are making 3 bottles of soap for the price of one (assuming you use 2 bars in a batch).

Read More Comments...

March 5, 2011 Flag

I would like to make liquid hand soap. I am looking for a good frugal recipe.
Thank you.

By Laura from NH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A long time ago I purchased bottles of liquid hand soap at the Dollar store. When they ran out I refilled them with colored liquid dish soap using 1/3 soap and 2/3 water. Sometimes I put a drop of lavender oil in the bottle too. Hope this helps! I reuse the bottles until they need replacing.

I read that you can use plain old bubble bath. I do, and just fill up a used dish soap containter. It makes your hands feel so soft and smell so good!

Great ideas! Thank you. I could check out the dollar store, to see if they have large dish soap or bath soap, and dilute to a good mix.

May 10, 2006 Flag

Mix all ingredient together pour into pump style or squeeze bottle don't like to scent of bubble gum? Just use another scent of fragrance oil instead.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Home RemediesMarch 26, 2013
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Bar of Soap
Making Liquid Soap from Bars of Soap
Liquid Hand Soap
Stretching Liquid Hand Soap
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄