Homemade Liver Cake for Dogs

A dog waiting to be fed with his food dish.
In moderation liver is a good protein source to add to homemade dog food recipes. This is a guide about homemade liver cake as dog food.

This is for dogs. It's a liver cake they will love.

Ingredients

Directions

Put liver in blender till it turns to liquid. Add garlic and blend some more. Put cornmeal into mixing bowl. Put liver mixture into the cornmeal, stir. Add flour and stir. Should be pourable, add water 1 Tbsp at a time. Pour liquid mixture on a greased cookie sheet and spread. Bake at 325 degrees F for 22 minutes. Should be slightly pink in the middle when done. Let cool then cut into squares.

Source: came from a breeder friend of ours.

By Chandra from Greenwood, NS

Editor's Note: This recipe contains garlic, which can be left out at your preference. Most veterinarians recommend avoiding garlic for dogs. There is a vocal minority that supports the health benefits of garlic and recommend it in small amounts. Please consult with your vet or other pet professional regarding garlic to make your own opinion. Also note that many pets have corn allergies, so you may wish to use a substitute for the corn meal.

Does this cake sink when you bake it? I will never forget the first time I cooked liver when I was making my own pet food and I had to open every window in the house in the middle of winter. Now I cook it outside on a camp stove. Not sure how I could bake it outside. But if it doesn't smell really bad, I could deal with it.

My dogs will love this! Thanks!

I wonder, does this dry out or is it a moist treat my

e-mail

bnbsmith25@hotmail.com

Be warned - many dogs get really loose bowel motions from too much liver which can lead to blood in their movements as well.