Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Parrot Food Recipes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Homemade Parrot Food Recipes

Making your own parrot food can help save money and provide excellent nutrition. This page contains homemade parrot food recipes.

Solutions: Homemade Parrot Food Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Birdie Bread For Parrots

This is an easy recipe for feeding your finicky parrot, especially African Grey parrots and Amazons. It's a great way to get them to eat vegetables and they don't even know it, but they love it!

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Yield: a month's supply for 2 birds

• 3 boxes Jiffy corn bread mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 of a med microwaved sweet potato
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter or almond butter
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • a dash of garlic powder
  • 1/2 banana if desired
  • 3 heaping cups shredded veggies in this batch
  • yellow squash
  • opo squash (calabash)
  • parsnip
  • turnip
  • carrot
  • broccoli
  • cauliflower
  • zucchini
  • parsnip
  • you can use any bird safe veggies

1. Put Jiffy mix in big bowl and mash out the chunks. Set aside.
  2. In another bowl, mix room temperature eggs, banana, sweet potato, cinnamon, garlic powder, and peanut butter/almond butter.
  3. In third bowl, put shredded veggies.
  4. Add wet mixture and water to Jiffy mix and stir. Add veggies by handfuls then stir until all is added. If you shredded too much, feed the rest to the birdies.
  5. Stir to normal consistency. If it's too wet add some dry oats or more Jiffy mix. If it's too dry, add a bit of water. Don't over stir.
  6. Bake in oiled or oblong pan sprayed with Pam for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees F. It can be checked with sticking a knife in it until the knife comes out clean, but it is very moist.
  7. Store in fridge 24 hours before slicing. May be frozen in individual servings. I put 2 pieces per small Ziploc baggie.

You can eat this too. Normally I put lots of red and yellow peppers, but I was out. The more brightly colored veggie, the better. You can hide all the veggies in here. Cooked veggies are more nutritious than raw, they say.

By

Tip: How to Make Chop Mix for Birds (Parrots)

If you're not familiar with Patricia Sund's blog, check it out. She recently posted a movie about how she makes "chop", a variety of foods that are chopped up and mixed together that she feeds to her African Greys. Because I live in Nebraska, the choices are more limited than what she has in Florida, but frozen vegetables are okay.

This combination of rice and/or beans and vegetables such as kale, carrots, peppers, etc., cost approximately $10-$15 and will feed my African Grey for several months at one meal of fresh food per day. Also remember to purchase inexpensive sandwich bags and freeze it so that it will keep. My biggest issue had been getting my Grey to try new foods. As soon as I made this, she started eating it right away. It's now a once-per-day staple food and it's so good for her.

Source: Bird Talk Magazine, featuring articles written by Patricia Sund; also her blog at www.parrotnation.com

By Jenni P from Lincoln, NE

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!