Homemade Pedialyte

To make your own Pedialyte, mix 2 quarts of water with 1 tsp. baking soda, 7 tsp. sugar, 1 (1/4 oz.) package of powdered drink mix like Kool-Aid, and 1/2 tsp. salt.

Store this mixture in the fridge no more than 3 days. This can be made into ice cubes or frozen in popsicle molds for children or adults.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Top Comment

I've used the homemade Pedialyte solution. It works and doesn't taste too bad. Of course, I don't think regular Pedialyte tastes bad either. If you do use the homemade version of Pedialyte, do not use red Kool-Aid. Coke or Pepsi is okay to use as long as it is a caffeine free version of the pop. If the child is under 1 year old, only Pedialyte should be given, not Coke or Pepsi.

Top Comment

I'm surprised a doctor would recommend coke (or any soda) to replace Pedialyte,which is given for or to prevent dehydration. The caffeine in soda can cause dehydration! Maybe for nausea though, flat coke works for that.

Pookarina- I think doctors have their own preference for Pedialyte over Gatorade, I've had different doctors tell me different things.

I think it's an excellent idea to know how to make this stuff at home, write it down & keep it in your recipe book! You don't always have Gatorade or Pedialyte on hand when you need it! A perfect example would be my 73 yr old mom who got sick at home a few months ago & was so dehydrated she probably should have gone to the ER but didn't have the sense to call an ambulance. In a round-about way from 1000 miles away, I was able to get a neighbor over there, talk to both on the phone & figure out what was wrong with her. I told the neighbor how to mix the room temp water,baking soda & salt(you don't need the sugar & Koolaid, it's just for flavor) & have mom sip it. Within 10 min. she was beginning to feel better & within the hour she was back to her old self(just tired) & able to make it through the night to see her own doctor in the morning. If nobody had know how to mix this at home, she would have been in the hospital.

I remember when I was a kid & we'd be out in the hot Arizona sun for hours. We carried those little packets of salt with us to eat when we'd start getting dehydrated, because plain water didn't seem to be enough. Now we know that the salt combined with the baking soda helps to balance out the electrolytes.

My doctor told me just to give my children coke, instead of Pedialyte. He said the pop had the same things, and was something that the kid would actually drink, as opposed to Pedialyte, which doesn't taste all that nice. Might be a good idea to check this out with your doctor, as it is an easy thing to have.

I know the pediatricians used to advise mothers to use Gatoraid. Has that been ruled out now?

Pookarina

I always suspected our pediatrician got kickbacks from the makers of Pedialyte. It was a standard in his "diarrhea diet."

For upset stomachs, hubby always prefers ginger ale. A good brand actually has the ginger that's known to settle stomach upsets. I like this recipe for the electrolyte drink, though. It's easy and much less expensive than the manufactured stuff!

Lionpridej, I forgot to say I'm glad your mom is okay!

Homemade Pedialyte
Homemade Pedialyte
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJune 15, 2011
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
🎄