Homemade "Piggy" Bank Crafts

Many household items can be recycled or repurposed to make cute piggy banks or you can start with new materials. This is a guide about homemade "piggy" bank crafts.

August 12, 2011 Flag

This is a quick easy craft the kids will enjoy making.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut off the open end of the bottle back to where the detergent cap will fit up snugly to the bottle. Make a slice in the top of the bottle where you want the coin slot, half way between the front and back. Make a small hole in the top center of the back for the pipe cleaners you will twist into a tail.

2. Spray your detergent cap pink. You can also paint your bottle caps now too if you want them pink. Since the bottle caps are the feet, you can make them a different color. Trace your ear patterns onto your two papers, cut them out and glue the smaller one inside the larger one with tacky glue. Set them aside to dry while you wrap your fabric around the bottle.

3. Center the fabric from front to back then glue one end to the bottom of the bottle with the tacky glue. Top that one with the other end and secure it with tacky glue. Turn your bottle over and with sharp small scissors cut the fabric from the coin slot then put tacky glue under the fabric to hold it in place.

4. With the hot glue attach your bottle caps to the bottom for feet. Twist the pipe cleaners together then wrap them around a pencil for the tail; put a drop of tacky glue on one end and push it through the hole you made.

5. Make a pleat in each ear and glue in place with hot glue, see picture for placement, glue on the eyes and the snout and start saving your change.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Adorable and I bet it holds a lot of change!

November 28, 2016 Flag

Making a Gallon Milk Jug Piggy Bank

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a gallon milk jug piggy bank. A gallon milk jug is perfect for making a cute piggy bank.

December 13, 2005 Flag

I made these piggy banks for gifts this year for Christmas. I saved my empty Juicy Juice containers (46 oz.), washed them out, cut out a slit in the side for the money, and painted them. Acrylic paint is the best. I still haven't decided if they need sprinkles or a cherry on top yet. Maybe both.

By luv2craft from Normalville, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

"GREAT" idea

September 18, 2009 Flag

bottle bank

This is a plastic bottle made into a bank. My 4 year old grandson, Walker made this bank at daycare. I told him I needed one. Since I like Dr Pepper and Mickey Mouse, he made me this one.

August 1, 2007 Flag

Cow bank from mayonnaise jar.

For those looking for crafts from glass jars, this is a bank to store your "MooLa" in. Made from mayonnaise jars, you may use either the pint or the quart size.

August 13, 2009 Flag

Recycled bread crumb can bank decorated with photos

I lost my dad awhile back. I like to have reminders of him throughout our home. I made this memory bank, I used a bread crumb can. I hot glued the picture to the can, on the other side is a picture of me and him.

January 1, 2012 Flag

I would like to know how to make porcelain piggy banks.

By Dorothy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all you are going to need a very expensive kiln (oven) in order to fire or bake the porcelain. Depending on how far back you want to go in the process, you will basically have to be set up like a ceramic shop. Your best bet might be check with ceramic shops that offer classes in making things, and see if you can take a class for piggy banks, and basically you would do all of the work there, and pay for using their supplies, and they would tend to doing the firing for you at their site.

Some times these items have to be fired more than once. The only way I know this much about ceramics is that I used to have a friend that had a shop and I bought a few pieces from her, and sometimes visited with her in her shop while she was working and didn't have a class going on..I have occasionally seen kits in the craft department at WalMart that has the piggy bank already made, and it comes with paint to paint it. This is one that doesn't have to be fired or else some of those items can be finished in a regular oven.

Crafts ToysJune 19, 2012
bank in shape of girl with pig tails
Creative Piggy Bank Ideas
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
pink piggy bank
Making a Gallon Milk Jug Piggy Bank
Banki ATM machine.
Banks With No Minimum Balance Requirement
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 8:14:01 PM on 10.0.2.240 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.