Homemade "Piggy" Bank Crafts

Many household items can be recycled or repurposed to make cute piggy banks or you can start with new materials. This is a guide about homemade "piggy" bank crafts.

November 28, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a gallon milk jug piggy bank. A gallon milk jug is perfect for making a cute piggy bank.

Making a Gallon Milk Jug Piggy Bank

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 12, 2011 Flag

This is a quick easy craft the kids will enjoy making.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut off the open end of the bottle back to where the detergent cap will fit up snugly to the bottle. Make a slice in the top of the bottle where you want the coin slot, half way between the front and back. Make a small hole in the top center of the back for the pipe cleaners you will twist into a tail.

2. Spray your detergent cap pink. You can also paint your bottle caps now too if you want them pink. Since the bottle caps are the feet, you can make them a different color. Trace your ear patterns onto your two papers, cut them out and glue the smaller one inside the larger one with tacky glue. Set them aside to dry while you wrap your fabric around the bottle.

3. Center the fabric from front to back then glue one end to the bottom of the bottle with the tacky glue. Top that one with the other end and secure it with tacky glue. Turn your bottle over and with sharp small scissors cut the fabric from the coin slot then put tacky glue under the fabric to hold it in place.

4. With the hot glue attach your bottle caps to the bottom for feet. Twist the pipe cleaners together then wrap them around a pencil for the tail; put a drop of tacky glue on one end and push it through the hole you made.

5. Make a pleat in each ear and glue in place with hot glue, see picture for placement, glue on the eyes and the snout and start saving your change.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

December 13, 2005 Flag

I made these piggy banks for gifts this year for Christmas. I saved my empty Juicy Juice containers (46 oz.), washed them out, cut out a slit in the side for the money, and painted them. Acrylic paint is the best. I still haven't decided if they need sprinkles or a cherry on top yet. Maybe both.

By luv2craft from Normalville, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 7 Comments

September 18, 2009 Flag

This is a plastic bottle made into a bank. My 4 year old grandson, Walker made this bank at daycare. I told him I needed one. Since I like Dr Pepper and Mickey Mouse, he made me this one.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

Clean and dry bottle. I cut a slot in it and cut a piece of paper to fit around it. He then drew on it and on the bottle too. We then glued the paper around the bottle. I love it.

I think they would be a great "cost almost nothing" gifts for grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.

By Joanie from Spring Branch, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

August 1, 2007 Flag

For those looking for crafts from glass jars, this is a bank to store your "MooLa" in. Made from mayonnaise jars, you may use either the pint or the quart size.

Cow bank from mayonnaise jar.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 13, 2009 Flag

I lost my dad awhile back. I like to have reminders of him throughout our home. I made this memory bank, I used a bread crumb can. I hot glued the picture to the can, on the other side is a picture of me and him.

Recycled bread crumb can bank decorated with photos

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 27, 2012 Flag

How do I make a paper mache piggy bank?

By Dorty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's a link to a tutorial on how to make one

http://ultimate  mache-piggy-bank

Good luck!

To make a Papier Mache Piggy bank:

Make your armiture:

Start with a balloon the size of the bank you want. Add ears with thick cardboard. For feet I use a very think cardboard tube. Dollar Generals brand of plastic wrap ios usually very strong. Cut the length ou want then tape in place. Make sure the pig will stand straight. Use two cardboard egg cups from an egg carton. Turn upside down and tape in place. I like to use marbles for the eye balls. A pipe cleaner makes a good curly tail.

After the base is done, mix flour and water until you have a gravy consistency. Tear strip of news paper and dip into the flour paste. Squeegee of the excess pastse then start covering the shape. Make sure every surface is covered. Let dry tne add another layer. I like to have at least 4 layers of paper dry between each layer. The more layers, the stronger the finished piece will be. When it is all dry. Paint with gesso. This makes sure the newsprint doesn't show through the paint. Then paint the color or colors you want.

After the paint is dry you can then cut a slot for coins. You can also cut a hole in the bottom to remove the money when you want. You can save the plug you cut out and add a flat rubber stopper. The kind that is about6 inches in diameter. Glue it to the plug. Then you can fold it a bit to get it in the hole and when it straightens out again it will stay in place.

January 1, 2012 Flag

I would like to know how to make porcelain piggy banks.

By Dorothy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all you are going to need a very expensive kiln (oven) in order to fire or bake the porcelain. Depending on how far back you want to go in the process, you will basically have to be set up like a ceramic shop. Your best bet might be check with ceramic shops that offer classes in making things, and see if you can take a class for piggy banks, and basically you would do all of the work there, and pay for using their supplies, and they would tend to doing the firing for you at their site.

Some times these items have to be fired more than once. The only way I know this much about ceramics is that I used to have a friend that had a shop and I bought a few pieces from her, and sometimes visited with her in her shop while she was working and didn't have a class going on..I have occasionally seen kits in the craft department at WalMart that has the piggy bank already made, and it comes with paint to paint it. This is one that doesn't have to be fired or else some of those items can be finished in a regular oven.

Crafts ToysJune 19, 2012
bank in shape of girl with pig tails
Creative Piggy Bank Ideas
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
pink piggy bank
Making a Gallon Milk Jug Piggy Bank
Banki ATM machine.
Banks With No Minimum Balance Requirement
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 3:29:53 PM on 10.0.0.27 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.