Homemade Root Killer

I am looking for a homemade root killer. I have roots in my septic system drainage. I cannot do laundry without the water overflowing when it spins out. I have to get my drain snaked twice a year. It's getting too expensive to do this.

Thanks,
Tx from Southern, IN

Answers:

Homemade Root Killer

Up here (in Canada), Tx, we cut down the trees. Some trees are just the kind which spread roots outward (as opposed to downward). If you're getting tired of having your drain snaked, you can certainly dig up some of the roots and chop them away (which seems like an awful lot of work). But as long as the tree is alive, the roots will keep on growing. It's a nuisance I know, and I'm sure you don't want to lose the tree, but maybe consult your local greenhouse for answers or alternative trees which would grow quickly without presenting you the same problem.

Good luck!(10/26/2006)

By Rose Anne

Homemade Root Killer

Flushing rocksalt down the drain from time to time after drain is cleaned will often help kill roots. (10/26/2006)

Homemade Root Killer

My Mom does the same thing, puts rock salt down the drain once a week. Her plumber told her about that trick for tree roots. (10/28/2006)

By Gina

Homemade Root Killer

Watch what you flush, you might just kill off the organisms in your septic tank/field that are eating the waste. The term you are looking for is hydrophilic. Any plant that is hydrophilic should not be anywhere close to a drainfield.

Also, look for other causes besides roots. Is the field undersized? Do you have an efflent filter on the outflow of the septic tank? When was the last time your septic tank was checked to see if it should be pumped (2-5 years per check)?

(10/29/2006)

By Septic Sniffer

Homemade Root Killer
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Indoor Root Cellar
Creating an Indoor Root Cellar
A home with lots of trees and bushes.
Homemade Root Killer
Ants on the wall of a house.
Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
🎄