Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Scrunchies

0 0EmailFollow
Place holder photo. Please share a photo for this guide.

Hair accessories are fun, fashionable, and can liven up an outfit or fend off a bad hair day. This guide contains easy instructions for making hair scrunchies.

Solutions: Homemade Scrunchies

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Crochet Beaded Hair Scrunchies

For all of you who have already crocheted everything you can think of as gifts for your friends and relatives, here's something new and fun to make for them! It's a beautiful pattern I've designed myself for beaded hair scrunchies which I'd like to share with you. This scrunchie will glimmer and shimmer in the light and both kids and adults love to wear them.

Materials

• 2 types of beads* (one opaque and one clear in 2 different sizes from 4mm to 12mm)
  • some lace or baby weight yarn or crochet cotton**
  • one elastic hair band with no metal (thick or thin)
  • a crochet hook (aluminum size E or the largest in stainless hooks)
  • "big-eye" beading needle
*Beads: You''ll need 22 each of type "A" (the larger bead) and 33 each of type "B" (the smaller bead). Plastic beads work best because they are lighter in weight, but glass beads are also okay. I sometimes use both. Faceted beads sparkle nicely and large seed beads will also work if they are mixed with a much larger second type of bead. I've even used 1 small button in place of a set of beads.

** Yarn: The yarn should be thin enough to go through the beads but not fray and it works best if it's not fuzzy. Knit-cro-sheen (for lace and doilies) works wonderfully, but if you can find a shiny rayon blend in lace weight you've got it made! This yarn or fiber needs to be strong enough to take the beads rubbing back and forth across it without catching on the beads and snagging, so a dense weave yarn or thread works best.<

Beading Instructions

1. Open the "Big Eye" beading needle in the center and thread it with your thin crochet cotton or lace weight yarn.
  2. Thread your beads on to the yarn in sets in this pattern: 2 of the larger beads (Bead type "A") then 3 of the smaller beads (Bead type "B") then repeat. 2 of type A, then 3 of type B until you have 11 sets of each type alternating or 22 sets total.
  3. Crochet Instructions

This pattern uses only 2 stitches (single crochet and slip stitch). You'd do 3 single crochets around the band then put on a set of beads one at a time with a slip stitch after (and over) each bead then repeat (3 single crochets around the band, put on the beads one at a time with a slip stitch after (and over each one) then repeat.

Note: If your beads are tiny, you can do 2 single crochets between each set of beads instead of 3, with buttons you need 3 sc

• Take the round hair elastic and start by crocheting 3 single crochets around it. (You do this by putting your hook in front then down inside the ring of elastic then through the center to grab the yarn with your hook and bringing it back up and around the front to the top of the elastic then letting this loop slide on to your hook then finishing your single crochet stitch by grabbing the yarn and pulling through both loops)

• Slide the first of the 3 smaller beads up to where you're working and crochet a slip stitch over it. Do the next 2 beads in the set of 3 the same way (slide up a bead then slip stitch over it). Make a cluster of these beads by doing a single crochet in the top of the last single crochet stitch (this brings the beads back towards the elastic in a loop of 3 beads).

• Do 3 single crochets around the hair elastic.

• Repeat step 2 but this time slide down the 2 larger beads and do a slip stitch over each. One, then the other, then do a single crochet in the top of the last single crochet forming a loop of these 2 beads back down to the hair elastic.

Start with step 1 again and continue this same pattern around the elastic hair band until you have used up all 22 sets of beads.

To Finish: Pull the beginning piece of yarn (from where you first started) through the ending loop of yarn then tie 3 square knots to finish, then thread the yarn-thread back into your work and tie these ends again for extra security. Finish by dabbing the knots with clear nail polish for even more security. Lastly, gently pull on the elastic to stretch it and the beads will arrange themselves into an even pattern.

A Warning: Don't pull to tightly on the knots when tying or you may break your thread as I have done on several occasions.

Any questions? Send a note to "Cyinda" here on ThriftyFun and I'd be happy to answer. I've designed many patterns myself but this is the first time I've taken the time to actually write one down. Let me know how your beaded scrunchie turned out and please let me know if I've made myself perfectly clear and if I could make any changes. If you like this easy beaded scrunchie and I'll take the time to write up more of my original crochet patterns (from beginner to advanced).

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Tip: Homemade Scrunchies

Easy and quick pattern. Cut fabric 20-22 inches long and 4 inches wide. Sew the fabric together, right sides together using 1/4-inch seam allowance, making a tube. Cut 8 inches of 1/4 inch elastic. Turn the tube right side out. Using a safety pin, secure the elastic to the tube as you insert it.

Knot the elastic ends together. (Knotting the ends is much faster then sewing them and is very effective) Afterwards, take one end of the tube and cuff it to the inside. Tuck the other end inside the tube, sew across.

You can use leftover or scrap material if it's long enough.

By Anna

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!