Homemade Squishy Ice Pack

Yesterday, my 7 year old daughter fell and hurt her knee. Well, she loves an ice pack for all of her ailments so I got the cheap dollar store ice pack out and it was hard as a rock and hard to hold in the right place so since she had already destroyed my "good" squishy one by trying to see what was in it, we made our own. I took a quart size generic ziplock bag and put rubbing alcohol and water not quite half full and froze it. I guess you could add food coloring for more interest. Anyway now we have a very, very cold squishy ice pack that conforms to all those odd parts that sometimes need ice.

By Ginger

Editor's Note:
A reader mentions below that the rubbing alcohol could be toxic to a child. A better mixture might be water and vodka. That way it would be much less toxic if it broke or some of the contents dripped out. If you use this with a child, make sure they don't lick eat the contents or suck on the bag.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Homemade Squishy Ice Pack

You can also add cotton balls to this and it keeps it a little more "spill proof" if the seal opens or the bag breaks. (10/16/2004)

By Barbie

Homemade Squishy Ice Pack

This could be dangerous, as rubbing alcohol is irreversibly toxic to the optic nerve (can cause blindness). Make sure your child doesn't lick it or drink anything that may drip out.

By Susan B

Homemade Squishy Ice Pack

We use a small packet of frozen peas.

If you label it well, you can use it time and time again - just refreeze. It will mold well to any body part.

Label it well because you do NOT want to eat them after thawing, etc. (01/05/2005)

By anisah

Homemade Squishy Ice Pack

from my OT for my hand therapy for a tendon repair

• 2 cups water
  • 1 cup alcohol

By 2shoes

Homemade Squishy Ice Pack

Thank you, this works great! (Very Cold). I have a fractured ankle and it is great for decreasing swelling. I also double bag this mixture to keep liquid from spilling out. :-) (07/24/2005)

By pauper

Homemade Squishy Ice Pack

I found using two bags helps control the condensation. I also found out that using a larger freezer bag for the outside bag is helpful since the condensation will run through both bags if too tight fitting. (09/24/2005)

By Thor

Homemade Squishy Ice Pack

Love the Editors note above. Mix Vodka and water. You start off with a frozen ice pack to comfort your pain and when it thaws you can drink it and further dull your pain. LOL. Chill, just being funny.

I live with neck and back pain every day from herniated discs. My PT passed along the info to mix the rubbing alcohol and water to make cold packs. My little 5 year old loves them. She won't put an icecube pack on her booboo, but she will use the alternative. (11/29/2007)

By Shelby

Homemade Ice Packs
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
three examples
Making an Ice Pack With Rice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield