Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Stain Remover Recipes

Making your own stain removers is easy to do at home. This page contains homemade laundry stain remover recipes.

Baby clothes hanging up.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Stains on baby clothing can be really hard to remove without special treatment. This is a guide about stain remover for tough baby stains.

A woman staining her white shirt at a restaurant.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Many homemade clothing stain removers contain one of these common cleaning ingredients: vinegar, dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, or ammonia. Even tough stains can often be treated with homemade solutions.

Shampoo

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

You don't need a specialized stain remover to clean your clothing. Generic shampoo works well for the task. This is a guide about using shampoo as a clothing stain remover.

A kid with paint all over his face and clothes.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

From oil stains to grass stains, this stain removal guide contains step by step instructions for how to get stains out of clothes, carpet and more.

A stained shirt in the laundry.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Laundry stain pre-treatment products can be expensive. This is a guide about homemade Spray 'N Wash alternative .

Dawn and Peroxide

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

These two ingredients combine to make a very effective stain remover. This is a guide about Dawn and peroxide homemade stain remover.

Use 2/3 cups of dish soap, 2/3 cups of ammonia, 6 tablespoons of baking soda, and 2 cups of warm water. Mix everything into a spray bottle and shake well.

I found this a few years ago and have been using it ever since. It works great and is inexpensive: Fill a water bottle with warm water and add about a quarter cup of inexpensive shampoo. Mix and keep in laundry room to pretreat stains before washing.

To make a pre-wash stain remover, mix 1/3 part non-sudsing ammonia, 1/3 part dish soap and 1/3 part water. Pour into clearly labeled spray bottle. Apply to stains and allow to sit only 5 minutes, then wash ASAP.

Hydrogen Peroxide
Stain Remover

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using hydrogen peroxide as a stain remover. There are several household products that that be used to remove stains.

Make a paste with water, white vinegar, and sugar to pre-treat spots on clothing before washing. Rub on stain leave alone for about 10-20 minutes, rinse, then wash in cold water. Do not put it in the dryer until you check and make sure the stain is gone! If it is still there repeat.

I bought a hand cleaner found at Walmart in the automotive section called Goop. I decided to try it on a stain one day, on my child's clothes, and it worked.

Make a spray for the stubborn stains that your kids or your better half like to leave on their clothes.

Use spinach water for removing sweat stains and ring around the collar. Try blanching fresh spinach. Reserve the water for stain removal.

Put these ingredients into a clean spray bottle and shake to mix. Be sure to clearly label the bottle, to use this pre-wash just spray on the stained area of clothing and wash immediately.

Mix well and pour in a spray bottle for all kinds of laundry stains.

This works great! Make a paste of soda and a little water and apply to stains on clothing. Let sit for a while and launder as usual. Not good for all stains, but apply while the stain is fresh and it disappears like magic!

I am looking for a recipe to spot-clean my cotton t-shirts, white blouses, cotton pants, as well as my school-teacher garments. I am spending too much money on spot-removal products at the supermarket. Does anyone have a cleaning solution for me? Thank you in advance!

By Sweet Pea from Nevada City, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You cannot beat original Dawn dish detergent, better than any degreaser I've ever tried.

December 27, 2011 Flag

I am looking for a natural laundry stain remover, that I can made at home. I would like something that is chemical free.

By Allie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not sure if this works. I am trying it as I am typing it on my set-in laundry stains. Combine 2 parts hydrogen peroxide with 1 part DoTerra On Guard Foaming Hand Wash in a spray bottle. Shake to mix. This works wonders on laundry stains, rusty water, and mildew stains in bathtubs and showers, as well as bathroom counter tops,sinks, faucets. DoTerra essential oils is an all natural oil company. You can use a search engine to find out more.

December 3, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe for a laundry pretreatment that does not have ammonia in it?

By Deborah from Midlothian, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dawn dish detergent does wonders. I wet the stain then rub in a little dawn before I throw it in the washer. Also used it on ink mark on leather purse and it took it out. I never buy prewash products.

February 23, 2005 Flag

How do I remove red color from another garment on my expensive white lingerie.

m_786_in

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am doing research on stain removal and I found a website that suggests boiling water on the stove in a large pot, adding 3/4 - 1 cup of biz, and adding your stained clothes. Let simmer about 45 minutes. Apparently there are people writing and saying it has removed ink stains, and even nail polish. You could try it.

September 28, 2014 Flag

I need a homemade spot remover to get a red stain out of a white jacket.

By Donella

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know how to make Grandma's Secret Spot Remover?

By Carrie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you Google "Grandma's secret spot remover"you'll get several site to explore.

Hope this helped.

November 1, 2009 Flag

Awhile ago I read a recipe that really worked great for set in stains. It had ammonia and other items. One thing I remember about this recipe is your clothes had to soak a few days. Thanks so much to anybody that has this recipe.

By LuAnn C from Grand Blanc, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know what type of fabric you are working with, so proceed carefully with this. I have used a paste made from powdered Cascade, lemon scent (just a little water with the powder to make a paste). Apply to stain, and then wash in the hottest water allowable for fabric. This works great on removing "rust" stains from old dresser scarves/runners.

How do I remove a red ink stain from a new cream 100% nylon waterproof jacket?

By Helen from England

August 30, 2010 Flag

I would like a recipe for a liquid stain remover made with Fels Naptha soap, that can be put into a spray bottle.

Thank you.
By Patricia from Mountain Grove, MO

Answers:

Homemade Stain Spray

My mom had a wonderful one: equal parts of Wisk, washing ammonia, and water. It brings tears to your eyes, but it really works well. (07/26/2010)

By Ladysmith56

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 24, 2010 Flag

Make your own stain-fighting spray for the laundry! I put 1/2 a spray bottle full of Tide laundry detergent (Tide is awesome at fighting stains). Then, I put a little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid and fill the rest with water. Shake it up, and there you have it, your very own stain-fighting spray. I think that this fights stains much better than the stain-fighters that I buy in the stores.

By Tammy from Fort McCoy, FL

Answers:

Homemade Stain Spray

If you add some ammonia to that mix, it will work even better! I have been using this for years. I use 1/3 of each and a bit of Dawn. Also, if you really have lots of oily stains, use cheap shampoo in place of the laundry detergent. Works wonders. (05/15/2008)

Homemade Stain Spray

Do you mean liquid Tide detergent, powder wouldn't make any sense? Thanks. My favorite stain remover and general house cleaner is 1/3 ammonia, 1/3 Pinesol, 1/3 water mixed in plastic bottle. It cleans everything for pennies, what a great combo. So much better than the commercial ones.

Jill (05/15/2008)

By ScotFinn

Homemade Stain Spray

You can now buy Tide with Dawn added to it. I have bought it and it works great. (05/19/2008)

By Linda

Homemade Stain Spray

When desperate lighter fluid works, too. It's the same thing that dry cleaners use. (06/19/2009)

By msnancy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 1, 2009 Flag

Seems like I remember someone submitting a stain remover that even works on old stains. I bought a new purple blouse. I got something on it and sprayed spay and wash on it and it didn't touch it.

Please help me.

Linda from Mount Morris, PA

Answers:

Stain Remover for Old Stains

I made a previous post and forgot to sign in so it's waiting for moderator approval. Don't know how long that takes so, I'll post again so you can get it quicker. I use a recipe from "The Tightwad Gazette". It works great on most everything I've tried it on.

1 cup each powdered Clorox II and powdered Cascade in five gallons of the hottest water from faucet. Soak overnight, then launder as usual. The article warns not to use on delicate or non-colorfast items.

I usually soak several items of the same color group (darks, lights, or whites) at one time to get the most economical use of the ingredients.
Hope this helps.

Cheryl
(10/08/2005)

By sdflmom

Stain Remover for Old Stains

I had the same problem and I took the gel type Shout and rubbed into the stain and then took 20 Mule Team borax and rubbed into it as well and then washed it and the old stain came out. (10/09/2005)

By kimmcg

Stain Remover for Old Stains

This is almost foolproof, but cannot be used on delicates like silk. This almost always get out any stain that is old or even a stain you missed before washing and dried completely in the dryer.
Mix 1 cup of Clorox II (powdered or liquid, I use the liquid now, it mixes easier) and 1 cup of Ivory or Dove liquid to 1 gallon of water. Let the item sit and soak until no trace of the stain remains. Wash as usual. Sometimes I have had to let a stain sit for several days. The only stain I can think of that hasn't come out has been tiny rust spots, like the kind that gets on whites from the washer and very old baby spitup stains.

I have soaked several like-colored items at a time, but noticed that it cuts the effectiveness and it takes longer to get the stain out.
I hope this can help someone. It has saved many a garment for me. (12/29/2005)

By Carla G

Stain Remover for Old Stains

I use a bar of Ivory soap, wrapped in a "delicates" bag and rub it out. Works best on whites. (07/24/2007)

By Lynn

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Laundry RecipesOctober 18, 2011
Homemade Stain Removers for Clothing
Hydrogen Peroxide
Stain Remover
Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover
Dawn and Peroxide
Dawn and Peroxide Homemade Stain Remover
Baby clothes hanging up.
Stain Remover for Tough Baby Stains
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 5:33:02 PM on 10.0.1.13 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.