Homemade Stain Remover Recipes

Laundry supplies.
Making your own stain removers is easy to do at home. This page contains homemade laundry stain remover recipes.

Use 2/3 cups of dish soap, 2/3 cups of ammonia, 6 tablespoons of baking soda, and 2 cups of warm water. Mix everything into a spray bottle and shake well. It works really well, it even got a chocolate stain off my child's shirt. Spray the stain and let it sit awhile then launder as normal. Always shake well before using.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

To make a pre-wash stain remover, mix 1/3 part non-sudsing ammonia, 1/3 part dish soap and 1/3 part water. Pour into clearly labeled spray bottle. Apply to stains and allow to sit only 5 minutes, then wash ASAP.

Source: Heloise

By Monica from Cortez, CO

I found this a few years ago and have been using it ever since. It works great and is inexpensive: Fill a water bottle with warm water and add about a quarter cup of inexpensive shampoo. Mix and keep in laundry room to pretreat stains before washing.

By T-scriber from WA

Use spinach water for removing sweat stains and ring around the collar. Try blanching fresh spinach. Reserve the water for stain removal.

It doesn't matter if the water is hot or cool. The green water has some type of iron element in which works on the stains. I guess it is the same iron oxide used in antiperspirants.

Swab it on with a toothbrush. It sometimes take out the stains that nothing else would. It is safe for almost any kind of fabric.

By Tim from Science Hill, Ky

Make a spray for the stubborn stains that your kids or your better half like to leave on their clothes.

Supplies Needed:

Directions:

Mix in bottle. Wait a while before you put the top on because it will expand a lot then before you use it.

Shake well first and then spray on your stains.

My husband got grease all over his shirt and pants, so I sprayed his shirt and let it set about half a day or until the next load of laundry is done, and pop it right in the washer with everything else. When you spray it make sure you do it really good.

By Heather E from Brooker, FL

Make a paste with water, white vinegar, and sugar to pre-treat spots on clothing before washing. Rub on stain leave alone for about 10-20 minutes, rinse, then wash in cold water. Do not put it in the dryer until you check and make sure the stain is gone! If it is still there repeat.

I bought a hand cleaner found at Walmart in the automotive section called Goop. I decided to try it on a stain one day, on my child's clothes, and it worked.

Put these ingredients into a clean spray bottle and shake to mix. Be sure to clearly label the bottle, to use this pre-wash just spray on the stained area of clothing and wash immediately.

Mix well and pour in a spray bottle for all kinds of laundry stains.

Stains on baby clothing can be really hard to remove without special treatment. This is a guide about stain remover for tough baby stains.

Baby clothes hanging up.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

These two ingredients combine to make a very effective stain remover. This is a guide about Dawn and peroxide homemade stain remover.

Dawn and Peroxide

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This works great! Make a paste of soda and a little water and apply to stains on clothing. Let sit for a while and launder as usual. Not good for all stains, but apply while the stain is fresh and it disappears like magic!

Many homemade clothing stain removers contain one of these common cleaning ingredients: vinegar, dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, or ammonia. Even tough stains can often be treated with homemade solutions.

A woman staining her white shirt at a restaurant.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

You don't need a specialized stain remover to clean your clothing. Generic shampoo works well for the task. This is a guide about using shampoo as a clothing stain remover.

Shampoo

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

From oil stains to grass stains, this stain removal guide contains step by step instructions for how to get stains out of clothes, carpet and more.

A kid with paint all over his face and clothes.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Laundry stain pre-treatment products can be expensive. This is a guide about homemade Spray 'N Wash alternative .

A stained shirt in the laundry.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using hydrogen peroxide as a stain remover. There are several household products that that be used to remove stains.

Hydrogen Peroxide
Stain Remover

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking for a recipe to spot-clean my cotton t-shirts, white blouses, cotton pants, as well as my school-teacher garments. I am spending too much money on spot-removal products at the supermarket. Does anyone have a cleaning solution for me? Thank you in advance!

By Sweet Pea from Nevada City, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Some one on this site recommmended Dawn dishwashing liquid and I've been using it with great success.

But there are a lot of other remedies on this site too.

Good luck!

You cannot beat original Dawn dish detergent, better than any degreaser I've ever tried.

My mother and grandmother have used this trick for many years. This is for fruit stains. Lay the stained garment over a colander in the sink. Pour boiling water over it until the stain is gone.

I am looking for a natural laundry stain remover, that I can made at home. I would like something that is chemical free.

By Allie

I keep a simple bottle of dish liquid such as dawn or palmolive etc. and squirt the stains before I put them in the laundry hamper if possible. If not I use it before they are washed. This has worked wonders for me and you can buy it at dollar stores. A bottle will last a year or better depending on how messy things are at your home. I have also taken an empty dish liquid detergent bottle and filled it with inexpensive laundry soap and soaked with that.

You might be surprised what baking soda will clean. I use it on laundry and cleaning my sink and my cookware. It will also cut soap residue on the shower door.

I keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my laundry room. It works well for non-greasy stains. Dish soap or mechanic's hand cleaner (such as ' Go Joe' ) is good for greasy stains. I also keep a bottle of cheap bio-friendly carpet stain remover for stubborn stains.

The best laundry stain remover I have ever used is dish soap. Even the cheap stuff works. I rub it on the stains and wait a few minutes and throw it in the wash. I love it. It will get any stain you have out.

Not sure if this works. I am trying it as I am typing it on my set-in laundry stains. Combine 2 parts hydrogen peroxide with 1 part DoTerra On Guard Foaming Hand Wash in a spray bottle. Shake to mix. This works wonders on laundry stains, rusty water, and mildew stains in bathtubs and showers, as well as bathroom counter tops,sinks, faucets. DoTerra essential oils is an all natural oil company. You can use a search engine to find out more.

How do I remove red color from another garment on my expensive white lingerie.

m_786_in

soak the lingerie in Rit Dye Remover.

What fabric is the lingerie? Would you be able to bleach it? Or use a bleach dillusion? Have you tried the usual suspects? Oxiclean, Borax, etc?

Often I have very good luck at removing transferred color stains just by rewashing the garment (in warm water?) with a liquid laundry detergent containing "bleaching action". (Ex: Detergent XYZ with BLEACH.) Not liquid bleach that you add separately. But, that would be my next try depending on the fabric.

I am doing research on stain removal and I found a website that suggests boiling water on the stove in a large pot, adding 3/4 - 1 cup of biz, and adding your stained clothes. Let simmer about 45 minutes. Apparently there are people writing and saying it has removed ink stains, and even nail polish. You could try it.

I have the same problem but it is with jeans. The red garment stained the jeans (they are light jeans)! How can I get this out?

Does anyone have a recipe for a laundry pretreatment that does not have ammonia in it?

By Deborah from Midlothian, TX

Buy a bar of genuine soap, either Fels, Zote, or Octagon. Dampen the stain with water and rub the bar of soap on the stained area. Launder.

While you asked for recipe without ammonia.

Unless you are allergic to ammonia, you may want

to try the following recipe, it works quite well for me.

Ammonia cuts grease!

This was in "Cheaper & Better" by Nancy Birnes

1/2 cup ammonia

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup baking soda

2 tablespoons liquid soap or Soft Soap

2 quarts of water

Use in spray bottles.

Syd

Dawn dish detergent does wonders. I wet the stain then rub in a little dawn before I throw it in the washer. Also used it on ink mark on leather purse and it took it out. I never buy prewash products.

Try Odorban it works You can get it at Walmart

Does anyone know how to make Grandma's Secret Spot Remover?

By Carrie

If you Google "Grandma's secret spot remover"you'll get several site to explore.

Hope this helped.

Awhile ago I read a recipe that really worked great for set in stains. It had ammonia and other items. One thing I remember about this recipe is your clothes had to soak a few days. Thanks so much to anybody that has this recipe.

By LuAnn C from Grand Blanc, MI

I don't know what type of fabric you are working with, so proceed carefully with this. I have used a paste made from powdered Cascade, lemon scent (just a little water with the powder to make a paste). Apply to stain, and then wash in the hottest water allowable for fabric. This works great on removing "rust" stains from old dresser scarves/runners.

I need a homemade spot remover to get a red stain out of a white jacket.

By Donella

How do I remove a red ink stain from a new cream 100% nylon waterproof jacket?

By Helen from England

I would like a recipe for a liquid stain remover made with Fels Naptha soap, that can be put into a spray bottle.

Thank you.
By Patricia from Mountain Grove, MO

Answers:

Homemade Stain Spray

My mom had a wonderful one: equal parts of Wisk, washing ammonia, and water. It brings tears to your eyes, but it really works well. (07/26/2010)

By Ladysmith56

Make your own stain-fighting spray for the laundry! I put 1/2 a spray bottle full of Tide laundry detergent (Tide is awesome at fighting stains). Then, I put a little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid and fill the rest with water. Shake it up, and there you have it, your very own stain-fighting spray. I think that this fights stains much better than the stain-fighters that I buy in the stores.

By Tammy from Fort McCoy, FL

Answers:

Homemade Stain Spray

If you add some ammonia to that mix, it will work even better! I have been using this for years. I use 1/3 of each and a bit of Dawn. Also, if you really have lots of oily stains, use cheap shampoo in place of the laundry detergent. Works wonders. (05/15/2008)

Homemade Stain Spray

Do you mean liquid Tide detergent, powder wouldn't make any sense? Thanks. My favorite stain remover and general house cleaner is 1/3 ammonia, 1/3 Pinesol, 1/3 water mixed in plastic bottle. It cleans everything for pennies, what a great combo. So much better than the commercial ones.

Jill (05/15/2008)

By ScotFinn

Homemade Stain Spray

You can now buy Tide with Dawn added to it. I have bought it and it works great. (05/19/2008)

By Linda

Homemade Stain Spray

When desperate lighter fluid works, too. It's the same thing that dry cleaners use. (06/19/2009)

By msnancy

Seems like I remember someone submitting a stain remover that even works on old stains. I bought a new purple blouse. I got something on it and sprayed spay and wash on it and it didn't touch it.

Please help me.

Linda from Mount Morris, PA

Answers:

Stain Remover for Old Stains

I made a previous post and forgot to sign in so it's waiting for moderator approval. Don't know how long that takes so, I'll post again so you can get it quicker. I use a recipe from "The Tightwad Gazette". It works great on most everything I've tried it on.

1 cup each powdered Clorox II and powdered Cascade in five gallons of the hottest water from faucet. Soak overnight, then launder as usual. The article warns not to use on delicate or non-colorfast items.

I usually soak several items of the same color group (darks, lights, or whites) at one time to get the most economical use of the ingredients.
Hope this helps.

Cheryl
(10/08/2005)

By sdflmom

Stain Remover for Old Stains

I had the same problem and I took the gel type Shout and rubbed into the stain and then took 20 Mule Team borax and rubbed into it as well and then washed it and the old stain came out. (10/09/2005)

By kimmcg

Stain Remover for Old Stains

This is almost foolproof, but cannot be used on delicates like silk. This almost always get out any stain that is old or even a stain you missed before washing and dried completely in the dryer.
Mix 1 cup of Clorox II (powdered or liquid, I use the liquid now, it mixes easier) and 1 cup of Ivory or Dove liquid to 1 gallon of water. Let the item sit and soak until no trace of the stain remains. Wash as usual. Sometimes I have had to let a stain sit for several days. The only stain I can think of that hasn't come out has been tiny rust spots, like the kind that gets on whites from the washer and very old baby spitup stains.

I have soaked several like-colored items at a time, but noticed that it cuts the effectiveness and it takes longer to get the stain out.
I hope this can help someone. It has saved many a garment for me. (12/29/2005)

By Carla G

Stain Remover for Old Stains

I use a bar of Ivory soap, wrapped in a "delicates" bag and rub it out. Works best on whites. (07/24/2007)

By Lynn