Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Stain Remover Recipes

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Laundry supplies.

Making your own stain removers is easy to do at home. This page contains homemade laundry stain remover recipes.

Solutions: Homemade Stain Remover Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Easy Homemade Stain Remover

If you mix 1 part Dawn dish washing liquid with 2 parts hydrogen peroxide you have the best spot remover! This is probably the only cleaner you will ever need. Either spray or pour on the spot and watch it disappear. Some stains you will need to leave on for awhile. Rinse when it disappears. Love it, it really works.

By Dorothy W. from New Creek, WV

Tip: Homemade Stain Remover

Use 2/3 cups of dish soap, 2/3 cups of ammonia, 6 tablespoons of baking soda, and 2 cups of warm water. Mix everything into a spray bottle and shake well. It works really well, it even got a chocolate stain off my child's shirt. Spray the stain and let it sit awhile then launder as normal. Always shake well before using.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Tip: Homemade Stain Spray

To make a pre-wash stain remover, mix 1/3 part non-sudsing ammonia, 1/3 part dish soap and 1/3 part water. Pour into clearly labeled spray bottle. Apply to stains and allow to sit only 5 minutes, then wash ASAP.

Source: Heloise

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Tip: Dishsoap Instead of Stain Remover

Small squeeze bottles of dish-washing liquid are wonderful substitutes for the high priced stain removers when prepping your shirt or blouse collars for laundering.

Wet the collar area and squeeze a small bead of the liquid along the collar line from end to end. Rub the areas of the collar line against each other. You will see the oils and "dirt" actually lift in your hands. Rinse the area and check for any spots missed. Then launder your shirt or blouse as usual. The newer dish-washing liquid with bleach can be used in the same manner on white apparel and is great. Use care not to grab the bleach containing bottle for colored clothing. Your collars will look great!

By Trisha from Ventura, CA

Tip: Shampoo For Stain Treatment

I found this a few years ago and have been using it ever since. It works great and is inexpensive: Fill a water bottle with warm water and add about a quarter cup of inexpensive shampoo. Mix and keep in laundry room to pretreat stains before washing.

By T-scriber from WA

Tip: Homemade Stain Remover

Make a spray for the stubborn stains that your kids or your better half like to leave on their clothes.

Supplies Needed:

• 1 empty spray bottle
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. washing soda
  • 1 Tbsp. Oxy Clean (I use the store kind)
  • Water to fill almost to the top

Directions:

Mix in bottle. Wait a while before you put the top on because it will expand a lot then before you use it.

Shake well first and then spray on your stains.

My husband got grease all over his shirt and pants, so I sprayed his shirt and let it set about half a day or until the next load of laundry is done, and pop it right in the washer with everything else. When you spray it make sure you do it really good.

By Heather E from Brooker, FL

Tip: Goop as Laundry Stain Remover

I bought a hand cleaner found at Walmart in the automotive section called Goop. I decided to try it on a stain one day, on my child's clothes, and it worked. Now I use it all the time. It even works on set in stains.

Just wash your item then apply Goop to the stain and work it in. Let it sit 2-3 hours, stubborn stains maybe 3-4 days. Wash again and stains are gone. It's non toxic, and safe for pets and children.

By

Tip: Stain Remover Formula

To remove a stain, mix 1 tsp. Dawn dish detergent, 3-4 Tbsp. hydrogen peroxide and a couple of Tbsp. baking soda. Scrub with a brush.

By

Tip: Homemade Stain Remover for Clothing

I recently had gotten cherry stains on a off-white cotton top. I tried many things and the stains did not come out. I finally found this recipe and soaked the shirt for 30 minutes and all the stains were removed. I would think this would work for all type of fruit and other natural stains.

My Oxy-clean

Ingredients

• 1 cup hot water
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide

Directions

Make this recipe as you need it. Do not save any for later use. Any leftover would lose its' potency over time.

Mix ingredients. Add clothes and soak for 20 minutes to overnight. Rinse; wash as usual. Makes 2 cups.

If possible, try to test an area of the clothing in case any discoloration occurs.

Source: A friend.

By mkymlp from NE PA

Tip: Laundry Stain Remover Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 part dishwashing liquid (I like Dawn)
  • 1 part ammonia
  • 1 part water

Directions

Mix all together and fill spray bottle for all types of laundry stains.

One part in this case means one third of whatever measure you're using. For instance:

• 1 c. dish liquid
  • 1 c. ammonia
  • 1 c. water
By Tori

Tip: Home Made "Spray n' Wash"

Instead of buying Spray and Wash or a similar item, I make my own.

Ingredients

• 1/3 cool tap water
  • 1/3 all purpose cleaner
  • 1/3 rubbing alcohol

Directions

Put in a spray bottle. Shake to mix and use as needed for spot removal on clothes. By Penney from Sioux Lookout, ON

Tip: Another Laundry Stain Remover Recipe

• 1/3 rubbing alcohol
  • 1/3 hydrogen peroxide
  • 1/6 Dawn dishwashing liquid
  • 1/6 water

Directions:

Mix above ingredients in a spray bottle and squirt on laundry stains before washing.

By Truerblue

Tip: Baking Soda Paste for Stains

This works great! Make a paste of soda and a little water and apply to stains on clothing. Let sit for a while and launder as usual. Not good for all stains, but apply while the stain is fresh and it disappears like magic! Good for underarm stains, plus soda acts as a deodorizer.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Stain Remover Recipes.

Question: Homemade Spot Remover

I am looking for a recipe to spot-clean my cotton t-shirts, white blouses, cotton pants, as well as my school-teacher garments. I am spending too much money on spot-removal products at the supermarket. Does anyone have a cleaning solution for me? Thank you in advance!

By Sweet Pea from Nevada City, CA

Most Recent Answer

By KatherineC07/06/2010

My mother and grandmother have used this trick for many years. This is for fruit stains. Lay the stained garment over a colander in the sink. Pour boiling water over it until the stain is gone.

Question: Homemade Natural Laundry Stain Remover

I am looking for a natural laundry stain remover, that I can made at home. I would like something that is chemical free.

By Allie

Most Recent Answer

By Tracy Lynn W.07/29/2013

Not sure if this works. I am trying it as I am typing it on my set-in laundry stains. Combine 2 parts hydrogen peroxide with 1 part DoTerra On Guard Foaming Hand Wash in a spray bottle. Shake to mix. This works wonders on laundry stains, rusty water, and mildew stains in bathtubs and showers, as well as bathroom counter tops,sinks, faucets. DoTerra essential oils is an all natural oil company. You can use a search engine to find out more.

Question: Making Grandma's Secret Spot Remover

Does anyone know how to make Grandma's Secret Spot Remover?

By Carrie

Most Recent Answer

By Keeper [57]07/21/2011

If you Google "Grandma's secret spot remover"you'll get several site to explore.
Hope this helped.

Question: Ink Stain on Nylon

How do I remove a red ink stain from a new cream 100% nylon waterproof jacket?

By Helen from England

Question: Stain Remover for Old Stains

Awhile ago I read a recipe that really worked great for set in stains. It had ammonia and other items. One thing I remember about this recipe is your clothes had to soak a few days. Thanks so much to anybody that has this recipe.

By LuAnn C from Grand Blanc, MI

Most Recent Answer

By Mary Lou12/02/2009

I don't know what type of fabric you are working with, so proceed carefully with this. I have used a paste made from powdered Cascade, lemon scent (just a little water with the powder to make a paste). Apply to stain, and then wash in the hottest water allowable for fabric. This works great on removing "rust" stains from old dresser scarves/runners.

Question: Spray and Wash Alternative

Does anyone have an inexpensive alternative to Spray 'n Wash? If so, please share with me.

Thanks!
Mary from San Diego, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Debbie H.06/26/2012

I found something great for my husbands horrible ring around the collar. He has some nice shirts and those collars were horrible, so I have some Mean Green, for about 2.00 a bottle. I sprayed each and every collar, and used an old tooth brush to work in the mean green, soaked them in the washer with some powdered bleach over night, and OMG shirts look brand new.

Question: Stain From Red Garment

How do I remove red color from another garment on my expensive white lingerie.

m_786_in

Most Recent Answer

By Tammy (Guest Post)03/12/2006

I have the same problem but it is with jeans. The red garment stained the jeans (they are light jeans)! How can I get this out?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Stain Remover for Old Stains

Seems like I remember someone submitting a stain remover that even works on old stains. I bought a new purple blouse. I got something on it and sprayed spay and wash on it and it didn't touch it.

Please help me.

Linda from Mount Morris, PA

RE: Stain Remover for Old Stains

I made a previous post and forgot to sign in so it's waiting for moderator approval. Don't know how long that takes so, I'll post again so you can get it quicker. I use a recipe from "The Tightwad Gazette". It works great on most everything I've tried it on.

1 cup each powdered Clorox II and powdered Cascade in five gallons of the hottest water from faucet. Soak overnight, then launder as usual. The article warns not to use on delicate or non-colorfast items.

I usually soak several items of the same color group (darks, lights, or whites) at one time to get the most economical use of the ingredients. Hope this helps.

Cheryl (10/08/2005)

By sdflmom

RE: Stain Remover for Old Stains

I had the same problem and I took the gel type Shout and rubbed into the stain and then took 20 Mule Team borax and rubbed into it as well and then washed it and the old stain came out. (10/09/2005)

By kimmcg

RE: Stain Remover for Old Stains

This is almost foolproof, but cannot be used on delicates like silk. This almost always get out any stain that is old or even a stain you missed before washing and dried completely in the dryer. Mix 1 cup of Clorox II (powdered or liquid, I use the liquid now, it mixes easier) and 1 cup of Ivory or Dove liquid to 1 gallon of water. Let the item sit and soak until no trace of the stain remains. Wash as usual. Sometimes I have had to let a stain sit for several days. The only stain I can think of that hasn't come out has been tiny rust spots, like the kind that gets on whites from the washer and very old baby spitup stains.

I have soaked several like-colored items at a time, but noticed that it cuts the effectiveness and it takes longer to get the stain out. I hope this can help someone. It has saved many a garment for me. (12/29/2005)

By Carla G

RE: Stain Remover for Old Stains

I use a bar of Ivory soap, wrapped in a "delicates" bag and rub it out. Works best on whites. (07/24/2007)

By Lynn

Archive: Homemade Stain Spray

Make your own stain-fighting spray for the laundry! I put 1/2 a spray bottle full of Tide laundry detergent (Tide is awesome at fighting stains). Then, I put a little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid and fill the rest with water. Shake it up, and there you have it, your very own stain-fighting spray. I think that this fights stains much better than the stain-fighters that I buy in the stores.

By Tammy from Fort McCoy, FL

RE: Homemade Stain Spray

If you add some ammonia to that mix, it will work even better! I have been using this for years. I use 1/3 of each and a bit of Dawn. Also, if you really have lots of oily stains, use cheap shampoo in place of the laundry detergent. Works wonders. (05/15/2008)

RE: Homemade Stain Spray

Do you mean liquid Tide detergent, powder wouldn't make any sense? Thanks. My favorite stain remover and general house cleaner is 1/3 ammonia, 1/3 Pinesol, 1/3 water mixed in plastic bottle. It cleans everything for pennies, what a great combo. So much better than the commercial ones.

Jill (05/15/2008)

By ScotFinn

RE: Homemade Stain Spray

You can now buy Tide with Dawn added to it. I have bought it and it works great. (05/19/2008)

By Linda

RE: Homemade Stain Spray

When desperate lighter fluid works, too. It's the same thing that dry cleaners use. (06/19/2009)

By msnancy

Archive: Homemade Stain Spray

I would like a recipe for a liquid stain remover made with Fels Naptha soap, that can be put into a spray bottle.

Thank you.
By Patricia from Mountain Grove, MO

RE: Homemade Stain Spray

My mom had a wonderful one: equal parts of Wisk, washing ammonia, and water. It brings tears to your eyes, but it really works well. (07/26/2010)

By Ladysmith56