Homemade Starch

Can anyone give me a recipe for homemade starch for clothing?

Thanks,
Kim

Homemade Starch

This is my grandmothers starch recipe, which I still use. Peel, wash, and grate 2 potatoes. Add boiling water to cover, and let sit overnight. The next morning, strain, pour in spray bottle, and use as normal starch. This recipe must be made fresh. It will only keep about 2 days. (02/19/2005)

By

Homemade Starch

I prefer a mix of starches so I can neutralize some of the acidity. 100% wheat starch will yellow white cottons quite quickly; but rice is a fine finish and can become expensive (comparatively).

The dry mix of my recipe is as follows:
2c rice flour,
1 c corn starch (or, corn flour)
1/4 c wheat flour
1/2 c Borax
2 Tbsp Epsom salt

Stir the dry mixture well, use a food processor to make it quick.

Measure out 2 quarts of cool water, put all but 2 cups in a saucepan to bring to boil. Mix 1/4 c of the starch mix in the reserved water to create a slurry. When the water in the saucepan boils, stir in the slurry and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer and stir the mixture constantly to minimize sticking.

Keep the mixture moving and between 200 & 215 degrees F for about 20 to 30 minutes.

When finished cooking, remove from heat and cool. When it reaches room temperature, stir it and inspect. If the starch solution separates or settles, it hasn't cooked long enough. Return the pan to low heat and gradually increase the temperature to cook longer.

When starch is finished and cooled back to room temperature, add 1 tsp fabric softener for fragrance and to reduce iron drag. Decant the solution into a spray bottle for small applications - refrigerate the rest for longer storage.

For larger quantities, mix:
1/2 c dry mix to 2 qts water for a heavy solution,
1/2 c dry mix to 4 qts water for a medium solution, and
1/2 c dry mix to 6 qts water for a light solution.
The recipe can be scaled up or down from here. (04/18/2005)

By J C Sprowls

Homemade Starch

I use potato flour. When the water in the saucepan boils, stir in the potato flour mixed with cold water and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer and stir the mixture constantly to minimize sticking. Just like making a gravy.
(04/23/2007)

By Kasia

Homemade Starch

Boil 4 cups of water and add 1/2 cup of flour. This recipe works really good! (10/19/2007)

By happy paeple rock

Homemade Starch

I tried Elmer's glue diluted with water and it worked great. It also gave my son's jeans that crisp look.

Mrs.C (11/20/2007)

By

Man holding spray bottle in one hand and an iron in the other
Homemade Spray Starch
Starched Shirt
Cleaning Starch from Clothing
starched blue dress shirt
Starching Clothing
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
Corn Starch
Uses for Corn Starch
🎉
🎄