Homemade Varnish Remover

Category Refinishing
Homemade Varnish Remover, Up close photo of varnished wood.
Varnish is used to protect wood furniture and make it shine. Making your own varnish remove allows you to use a product that is less toxic than store bought versions. This is a guide about homemade varnish remover.

If you need quantities of varnish remover to refinish portions of a wood floor and the woodwork, try this recipe for varnish remover. It's inexpensive and less dangerous than commercial products when small children are around.

Mix 1 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water. Add 1 quart boiling water, 3/4 cup sal soda (washing soda), 1/2 cup ammonia and 1 Tablespoon vinegar. Apply with a brush while hot. Rewarm if necessary. After varnish loosens, wash off with hot water and a cloth. Add a softening agent to the rinse water if you don't already have soft water. It will work better.

Source: From Alliant Energy company insert.

By Elaine from Iowa

I put a decorative varnished board on the top of my toaster oven and the varnished melted to the top of my white toaster oven, how do I get it off without scratching the enamel?

By Donna

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I'd recommend a product called "De-solv-it", it's one of those 'orange-citrus based products that I've used time and time again for such. Good luck.

http://www.dtep.com/de-solv-it.htm

If cajun62234's idea doesn't do the trick then use varnish remover. Why because enamel is baked on and it should come right off quickly. Try it in a small area at the back first.