Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Windshield wiper tip on windshield

Making homemade windshield washer fluid can save you money; make sure you use ingredients safe for the hoses, etc. This is a guide about homemade windshield washer fluid.

Solutions: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Homemade Windshield and Window Cleaners

The kind of commercial windshield washer fluid that is so convenient to buy at the store contains methanol. Methanol is extremely poisonous and is dangerous to breathe or touch. Less than a half of a teaaspoon can cause blindness and less that two ounces can kill a person.

On top of the dangers to the people using it, it causes environmental damage, by leaking onto the ground when we spray our windows with it. It also gets into the air as pollution. Billions of gallons of this washer fluid ends up in the environment every single year.

Here are directions for making your own windshield cleaning solution fluid.

• 1 gallon of water
  • 1 oz. dish soap
  • 6 oz. rubbing alcohol
Rubbing alcohol acts as kind of an antifreeze for your windshield while driving.

Shake this all up in a jug, and then let the bubbles go down and pour into your windshild washer fluid canister to the fill line. Please mark the container with the ingredients so it will be easy to remember how to mix it up.

Another mixture is the following for during the times when you don't really have freezing weather to deal with:

• 1 gallon of water
  • 8 oz. of glass cleaner
Here is a mixture for cleaning your windows at home in the house. Put the following in a spray bottle and spray onto a window and wipe off with a clean rag using long back and forth motions.
  • 2 quarts water
  • 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 1 tsp. dish soap
  • 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid.

Question: Homemade Auto Glass Cleaner

I am looking for a formula for warm weather windshield-washer fluid. Can anyone help?

By Al

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac [18]12/07/2011

Where your car is concerned you are better off buying something that is made for cars. Go to a discount store and get something inexpensive and buy several jugs. It's ok if it is for winter use, the only thing about it is that it won't freeze. Get it on sale and you will have enough to last through the winter which is when you use the most.

Question: Windshield Washer Solution for Winter

When I used the windshield washer system on my car last winter (ice condition weather), the water on the windshield became ice very soon. Now what kind of alcohol can I mix with water and at what percent?

By Mori from Tehran

Most Recent Answer

By Terry Houghton11/15/2011

I find methylated spirits does the trick for my windshield washing as to what strength just keep trying till you find the right mix our winters here in the UK are not as harsh as the USA.

Question: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Will adding Dawn dishsoap to the windshield washer fluid help cut the winter grime from windshield? How much do you add?

By Papa from Blackstone, MA

Most Recent Answer

By Ginnee [1]01/31/2011

Be sure to clean the wiper blades themselves to get a nice clean windshield.

Question: Homemade Auto Glass Cleaner

I need a good, non-streak, washing liquid for the windshield of my car. Not for the windshield washer, this is so I can wash the inside and outside of my windshields and not have a film or streaking.

Thank you.

By Mary from Irvine, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]08/19/2010

For the outside, just use water, or dish soap or Mr. clean or similar in water and a squeegee. For the inside, I use Windex and a towel.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

• 3 cups rubbing alcohol
  • 10 cups water
  • 1 Tablespoon of liquid detergent

Makes one gallon.

Optional: You can add some blue food coloring if you like!

Be sure to label the container as this will be toxic for the little ones.

By Syd

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Rubbing alcohol costs 99 cents for 16 oz. (2 cups), thus 3 cups rubbing alcohol would cost 1.49 plus the detergent. Windshield washer fluid is usually on sale for 99 cents or less. (12/13/2004)

By alobarbear

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Gas Stations gouge for up to $5.00 bottle. Great recipe if you need some quick until you can get some 99cent bottles (01/26/2005)

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

I have a question. I live in Canada, where it can get very cold. Would this be suitable for winter (-45 degrees C.), or is it just for summer? (02/21/2005)

By Brenda.

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

The alcohol should keep it from freezing. You might want to put in more rubbing alcohol. Try making some, letting it sit outside and see if it freezes (make sure it is not open so pets or animals can get into it.) If it does freeze, add more alcohol. (02/21/2005)

By Susan

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Very simple. Isopropanol (aka rubbing alcohol) is not in most washer fluids anymore, and yes it does prevent freezing. Like antifreeze use more in colder climates. The isopropanol also is a great cleaner for glass, and does not streak. You are paying for colored water now, and 99 cents for water makes NO sense. Simplest way is take 1/2 bottle of Walmart brand for Windex and add the rest water, depending on how dirty your windshield gets. Ammonia does a great job also, but diluted. Yes you can safely combine isopropanol and ammonia in same container without any hazard. And now you know. (03/15/2005)

By the wisdom

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

In Holland we pay $4 for 33 US fl oz (my conversion) which we can then mix with water. I understand in the UK we can use Meths (Methanol) or in Holland Spiritus - actually anything which'll work in a fondue burner. (02/14/2006)

By dutchdavey

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

How many of you that are telling us about how to make homemade windshield washer fluid have actually tried it, and are you really saving any money than buying it at say walmart or k-mart for a little over or under a dollar? if im trying to save money by making my own and your not, then what would be the point of this? (03/04/2006)

By Cathy

WARNING

Rubbing alcohol may be great for glass, but it can deteriorate rubber hoses with continued use. (08/20/2006)

By Grace

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade soap for windshield washers?

Does anyone have a "recipe" to make your own freeze-proof windshield washer fluid?

God Bless.

By Sheila from Springfield, IL

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Yes, its very easy to make. If you look at the ingredients of store bought windshield washer fluid, it uses methanol alcohol. You can't really buy that off the shelf, but you don't need to. Basically you need to add ammonia and/or isopropyl rubbing alcohol to your recipe to keep it from freezing.

What I do is take a gallon jug, add water until its about 2/3 full. Then I add any kind of window cleaner. I open the window cleaner and pour some of it in. If it's winter time and you are afraid of it freezing, add a bottle of some type of rubbing alcohol. I only add the Windex so it's blue.

You can just use rubbing alcohol and mix that with water. Most rubbing alcohol is about 70 or 80 percent strength. So personally I would add say 16 ounces to 48 ounces of water and mix. The whole purpose of making it yourself is to save money over buying it, so keep that in mind. (02/22/2010)

By jimthecook1969

I am looking for a homemade car window washer recipe.

By drmegumi from Albuquerque, NM

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Frost-Free Windshields

Vinegar will help keep windshields ice and frost free. When a car has to be left outside overnight in the winter, coat the windshields with a solution of 3 parts white distilled vinegar to 1 part water. A good tip for frost free windshields is believe it or not shaving cream. Rub it in good and wipe off when it starts to fog up, then reapply. You can also use the above tip with alcohol instead of vinegar; I like the green kind best. (04/08/2010)

By laura343

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

I fill a gallon bottle with a few drops of liquid dish soap, about 1/2 C white vinegar, and the rest water. (07/30/2010)

By cmolinger

RE: Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

In the summer I just use water with a splash of used blue print ammonia to prevent streaking and a squirt of dishwashing detergent. (09/14/2010)

By twsarch