Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Does anyone have a "recipe" to make your own freeze-proof windshield washer fluid?

God Bless.

By Sheila from Springfield, IL

Answers:

Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Yes, its very easy to make. If you look at the ingredients of store bought windshield washer fluid, it uses methanol alcohol. You can't really buy that off the shelf, but you don't need to. Basically you need to add ammonia and/or isopropyl rubbing alcohol to your recipe to keep it from freezing.

What I do is take a gallon jug, add water until its about 2/3 full. Then I add any kind of window cleaner. I open the window cleaner and pour some of it in. If it's winter time and you are afraid of it freezing, add a bottle of some type of rubbing alcohol. I only add the Windex so it's blue.

You can just use rubbing alcohol and mix that with water. Most rubbing alcohol is about 70 or 80 percent strength. So personally I would add say 16 ounces to 48 ounces of water and mix.

The whole purpose of making it yourself is to save money over buying it, so keep that in mind. (02/22/2010)

By jimthecook1969