If you live in an area with a reliable breeze, making a decorative windsock for your home or garden is a fun project. This is a guide about homemade windsocks.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Cute straw hat windsock made from an empty bleach bottle and fabric strips. Plant with real or silk flowers.
Approximate Time: 1 hour
- empty bleach bottle
- craft knife
- hot glue
- straw hat
- fabric scraps
- colored pencils
- black marker
- artificial flowers or real
- tape measure
- fishing line
- white fabric for face
- Wash bleach bottle thoroughly.
- Cut off lower 5 1/2 inches of bottle using a knife to start then scissors to finish. Discard the top.
- Cut enough fabric strips 1 1/2 inches wide and 18 inches long to go around the bottle. Use bright spring colors. You could use ribbon also.
- Glue these strips to the bottom of bottle all around about 1inch from the bottom.
- Glue a hem in the white face fabric or just turn under for a finished look. This will cover up where you glued the strips on. Cut it to fit the face going all around and ending in the back. Glue it in place in the back. Make sure it is a smooth fit with no wrinkles. Makes it easier to draw the face.
- Draw the mouth and nose with black marker. Color the cheeks with pink colored pencil. Draw the eyes with blue pencil. Or do all with markers.
- Cut the top of the hat off or if you do not want to put a real planter in just push it down.
- Punch a hole in the top of the bottle on both sides and tie the fish line in the holes. Then string the line thru the hat.
- Push the hat down over the bottle snugly.
- Cut a long piece of ribbon or another fabric scrap and tie around the hat. Tie in a bow in the front of the face for her sash.
- You can put a planter inside (if your fish line is strong enough) or use artificial flowers poking the stems thru the hat as I did.
Hang on a porch or patio and enjoy that cute little face blowing in the breeze.
By Little Suzy from Millbury, OH
Related Content(article continues below)Read 1 Comment
I like to use homemade "windsocks" to decorate for a party. They last longer than balloons, and can be used over and over. For a July 4th party: Take any container that is a cylinder, like a coffee can, Pringle can, or a Kool- aid container. Cut off top and bottom. Cover the outside with red material or red, white, and blue material. Glue material in place. Cut streamers from same colors of rolled paper streamers, and glue on bottom of container. I look for colored streamers at garage sales, and find all colors. Also, you can use this idea for birthday parties, etc. Make streamers about 3 or 4 feet long.Read 1 Comment
By Margeth from MI
Cut out material to go around oatmeal container, a little extra on ends to go inside. Apply w/ glue, then cut out eight strips of material the length of container about an inch thick. Space around on one end.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on January 16, 2017 at 5:27:10 PM on 10.0.2.254 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us