Making a Fabric Covered Bowl

Category Decorations
Homespun Fabric Covered Bowl
Strips of fabric in your favorite colors and designs take a plain bowl and help you create a decorative piece of home decor. This is a guide about making a fabric covered bowl.

I got this bowl for 2.00 at a local rummage sale. Not being much of a baker, I bought it for the "CF" or crafting factor! Being a rustic/country girl all the way, I dug out my homepun'ish fabric and went to work.

Total Time: 3 Hours

Yield: 1

Source: I have been fabric and yarn bombing things for years

• large bowl ($2.00)
  • 40-50 ft fabric strips ($2.00)
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors
  • buttons
  • paint brush
  • glue

1. I began with using diluted white glue, but that would have taken days to dry. So, I switched over to hot glue.
  2. Choose the fabric you want and rip or cut it. For this bowl you would need the strips to be about 8" long.
  3. Put a dab or two in the rim of the bowl and hold the fabric strips down with the handle of your paint brush. Hot glue can burn.
  4. Put your hot glue gun at mid length and then at the end and hold down with a butter knife or scissors. Metal won't stick and cools faster so you can not only protect your fingers but save some time.
  5. Ad
  6. I wanted my pattern to be repeated but for all my planning, I didn't achieve it. As you will see, I finished in "mid plan" and two of the same strips were very close. But, it was my first time doing a bowl and I will add my "booboo" suggestions at the end.
  7. As you can see, because you are using a strip that is the same width, but curving for the bowl, you will have to overlap the strips in order to stay on track. You might also wonder why I didn't save myself time by just running the strip all the way across. I thought it would create a bump on the bottom so I stopped. You can add a cork trivet or felt circle on the bottom if you want to protect your wood surfaces.
  8. Ad
  9. When you have met the fabric all the way around, take some white glue and dilute it in about 1 part water to 9 parts glue. Brush it on the strips and make sure to use the brush sideways when you want to glue down the ragged edges.
  10. You will need to let it rest for a couple of hours (not factored into the time it takes to make it). Come back and trim the edges not unlike a pie crust.
  11. Ad
  12. I added some random buttons for a bit of whimsy. I filled it with the fruit and veggies I made in 2014. You can fill it with balls of yarn, seeds, real or faux food, just about anything.
  13. BooBoo Fixes: When I make this again, I will make the strips longer and begin on the the bottom of the bowl (the top when it's upside down), and make it so they go over the rim and down into the bowl itself. I would have preferred no steel to show, but for my first time, I am happy.
  14. Ad

Very charming!!!

Thank you! I was going for just that!!

Aww cute cute cute - well done :)

Thanks!! I had a lot of fun with this.