Browsing: Hospital Gift Ideas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Hospital Gift Ideas

Deciding on just the right gift for someone in the hospital can be a challenge. This is a guide about hospital gift ideas.

A signed heart as a hospital present.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 16, 2012 Flag

We have had several family members in the hospital lately and I have learned a few things that are good to have on hand for visitors or if a person stays with the patient. Now, when I hear of someone in the hospital, I deliver a "goodie basket" to their room. The contents of the basket are often found more useful to family, especially if it is a serious situation where family is camped out at the hospital.

Many of the items can be found at the dollar store. Items in my basket sometimes are adjusted if I know of diet restrictions or younger children, but basically contain the following:

1. boxes of granola or breakfast bars

2. apples, oranges or bananas (3-4 of each or more if a large family)

3. crossword puzzle book

4. notebook and pen

5. pre-made individually wrapped snacks

6. couple of magazines or newspapers

7. juiceboxes

8. board game (checker, etc. can be found at the dollar store)

By April from MO

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 3, 2014 Flag

If you are visiting someone in hospital, freeze a litre bottle of water (mineral, filtered or plain old tap water according to taste) the night before, and take it in. Freezing may distort the shape of the base slightly, so consider taking in a jug or plant pot in which to stand the bottle, if it will not stand up without support. The water will thaw very gradually, and will provide a refreshingly cold drink over quite a long period of time. Provided that the patient is not nil by mouth, this is so much better than the tepid water jugs provided by the ward!

Source: A shop at Victoria Coach Station (London) had frozen bottles of water on sale to drink on long coach journeys

December 8, 2004 Flag

I am taking my children to visit children in the hospital. I would like suggestions of FRUGAL ideas for goodie bags that my children may hand out to those in the hospital. I am on a very tight budget but believe in teaching my children the importance of thinking of others-- this time of year kids often want, want, want! And I want them to realize the needs of others.
    Any suggestion would be very welcomed. -Lisa

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I save all of the samples that I receive throughout the year, plus small items that I get on sale and take them to the hospital for distribution. Walgreen's, especially, has great $.39 sales often on small toys, coloring books and crayons, etc. You could also do a web search for coloring pages and print them out (check for copyright laws).

You and your children can bake cookies together. Homemade cookies are nearly always a welcome treat.

If you are making bags for adults, I suggest:

a pocket pack of tissues

chapstick

memo pad

pen/pencil

mall lotion

deck of cards

I agree that you should NOT include any kind of food without checking first -- it's even worse if you give them something they are not allowed, and then it has to be taken away.

I make up "goodie bags" each year for Santa to distribute at our County Home (called the Poor Farm in less politically-correct times!) and these are popular items. I pick things up all year long on sale and stash them away. My goodie bags also include a new pair of stretch gloves (less than $1 each), which of course hospitalized patients would not need -- plus I include sample sizes of shampoo and soap donated by the local Holiday Inn, and toothbrushes and sample size toothpaste donated by local dentists.

Merry Christmas!

Go in the dollar store in the birthday section you can buy party type favours with more than one in a package like crayons, necklaces, activity books, etc. Small stuffed animals are good as well. Good idea I might do the same!

Read More Answers...

July 12, 2000 Flag

Flowers are always welcomed, but sometimes you may have a person in the hospital with no relatives close by. A telephone calling card will be appreciated, since hospitals and rehabilitation centers will charge long distance calls to your hospital bill.

While you can call them, sometimes they want to call you with updated information, etc. This came in handy for my mom who was having elective surgery in another state.

Note: This is assuming the patient is not too ill and they can use the telephone.

By Ms. Syd from Dunkirk, MD

January 13, 2005 Flag

What can you give a friend whose husband is in hospital. He is now paralized from waist down. His wife has stayed by his side for the past few weeks. What kind of gift can I give her to use/enjoy while staying in hospital with him and what can I give him that he may be able to use?

Erin

This just recently happened to a friend of mine also. I went to Starbucks and picked up some different kinds of chocolate. I gave it to her when I saw her at the hospital. It sounds silly, but it really seemed to cheer her.

Hello All!

Try cards, magnetic checkers, yahtzee, or "funny" books to read each other, add a little snack & You have a nice present!

If they have friends and family that are long-distance phone calls, give a pre-paid phone card so they can keep in touch (most hospitals won't let you make long-distance calls). If he's unable to hold books for long, how about books on tape? These don't even have to be purchased -- you can check them out from the public library, let your friend know when they are due back, and YOU pick them up and return them for her. Mow her yard/shovel her walk/ run errands for her. Pre-paid gasoline cards are also a blessing. Do they have pets? Care for the pets, or even take them home with you if that's workable (be the pets' foster parents!) Remember that your friend could probably also use something to do while she's sitting with her husband, who may be sleeping off and on. Suggestions include the usual -- something to read, crossword puzzles -- but what about crafts? Maybe she would find it soothing to do some needlework or knitting. Small cross-stitch kits can be picked up for just a few dollars. She will need your friendship more than ever now and in the future -- just keeping in touch is the best gift you can give!

Here is a list of 10 gift ideas for wheelchair users:

http://www.squidoo.com/wheelchairgifts

Read More Answers...

July 1, 2004 Flag

I need ideas for a patient who is 21 and had a head trauma case and is now in rehab and needs things to make his stay better

Paula

I don't know if this would be appropriate for your friend in the hospital, depending on the extent of their brain injury, but it worked for me. When I was in the hospital waiting for a heart transplant, my younger sister made me a basket full of small presents, about 14, and I got to open one up each day. You would be surprised at how much fun that is in the hospital when you have very little to look forward to. The presents were small, nail polish, clippers, little Bible cards, hair clips, etc. But the idea of a basket full of presents was pretty cool for me. Good Luck and God bless. susan from CT.

My mother had a head injury about 14 years ago where she was in a ooma for 3 months and has the exact same symptoms as Tawnda sister in-law in the post above. I would recommend a nice notebook or planner where a patient can write things down so they it can help with short term memory items. Hope that helps.

Hi! There is a website called raspberrybee.com that has adorable designer hospital gowns. I bought one for my neice after her back surgery and she loved it. They have 2 styles and they have lots of different prints to choose from. I bought one in a Lilly Pulitzer fabric and it was totally adorable. The link for the hospital gown website is http://www.raspberrybee.com The lady who took my order said that they will be making children's hospital gowns soon.

Read More Answers...
    Holidays and Parties Gifts AdviceSeptember 21, 2012
    A man giving a gift to his wife.
    Gift Ideas for Your Wife
    Fishing gear.
    Making a Fishing Gift Basket
    Mom Decorating Hospital Room for Daughter
    Decorating Your Hospital Room
    Gift Card Holder Crafts
    Gift Card Holder Crafts
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:33:45 AM on 10.0.0.159 in 800 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.