One thing I used to make a lot was a casserole that had cut up hot dogs, egg noodles and some sort of cheesy sauce. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks in advance for any help!
Janine from Texas
Not sure if this is it..put it has noodles, dogs and cheese...
* 2 (14 ounce) packages dry macaroni and cheese
* 1 (1 pound) loaf processed cheese food, cubed
* 1 (16 ounce) package frankfurters, sliced
* 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
* 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, prepare macaroni and cheese according to instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.)
2. Stir in the cubed cheese, frankfurters, peas, onion, condensed tomato soup and condensed celery soup. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish, and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
This is from www.recipezaar.com
Hot Dog Casserole
1 (8 ounce) box elbow macaroni, freshly cooked,drained
1/2 lb hot dogs, sliced into rounds
2 1/4 cups American cheese or Velveeta cheese, shredded
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, very finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
Grease a 2-quart casserole.
Add the freshly cooked and drained macaroni into the casserole along with the sliced hot dogs and just 2 cups of the cheese; mix well.
Combine butter and onion in a medium saucepan and saute over medium heat until the onion is wilted (about 5 minutes).
Whisk flour into the butter mixture quickly until flour is absorbed, then remove from heat.
Add milk slowly, whisking to combine well- make sure you whisk very quickly and thoroughly or you will have doughy clumps.
Return to heat, whisk in the salt and pepper, and bring to a boil (still whisking)- just be careful not to let it burn.
As soon as it starts to hit the boiling point, remove from heat and pour evenly over the macaroni mixture.
Stir to gently to combine.
Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake, uncovered, for 18-20 minutes or until heated through and the cheese has melted and browned (If you prepare this in advance, wait to add the remaining cheese until you are ready to bake the casserole the next day).
For variety, I have tried other types of cheeses and thought Cheddar blended with Monterey Jack was also very nice in this.
NOTE: This does not freeze well
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!